Porsche Cayenne battery under driver's seat ???

Yes, lots of German cars like to put the battery inside...

VW, Porsche, BMW, have all had some models that have the battery mounted inside the car. You get a longer lifespan out of the battery.

2011 to current Grand Cherokee have thebattery under the front of passenger's seat.

Many Dodges have the battery accessible through the left front inner wheel well. That's a huge pain the the arse.

Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers have the battery in the trunk in the spare tire well

....... anyone know of any other car like this ? I want to avoid them.

The VW Toureg.

The 1st gen Porsche Cayenne was nothing more than a overpriced VW Toureg, esssentially both the same SUV
both were highly unreliable yet expensive, but the Cayenne was like $20K more basically for the Porsche name

Porsche wanted to get into the SUV game so bad and fast but didn't have the time to develop their own SUV so they went into an agreement with VW to rebadge the Toureg, like what Honda did with the 1st gen Passport that was basically a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo,
these rebadging schemes never work out well.

see video, same exact parts and procedure LOL

Last edited:
Very common for vehicles to be in the vehicle, rather under the front seat or under the rear seat. More common on European vehicles (ran a European shop for 6 years, so I saw it a lot).

Under the rear seat, under the front seats, in the rear quarters, in the spare well and in the rear passenger floor are all places I've personally dealt with.

The VW Toureg.

The 1st gen Porsche Cayenne was nothing more than a overpriced VW Toureg, esssentially both the same SUV
both were highly unreliable yet expensive, but the Cayenne was like $20K more basically for the Porsche name

Porsche wanted to get into the SUV game so bad and fast but didn't have the time to develop their own SUV so they went into an agreement with VW to rebadge the Toureg, like what Honda did with the 1st gen Passport that was basically a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo,
these rebadging schemes never work out well.

see video, same exact parts and procedure LOL

Yeah, they're all PL7X... You clearly do not know or understand the relationship between Porsche and Volkswagen......

And the previous comparison to the Honda and the Isuzu is nothing like the Touareg, Cayenne and Q7 relationship...

I actually think the 1st gen Touareg was a bargain luxury SUV, such a beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

70's Vettes had them in the cubbie behind the driver's seat. Thought it was odd.

My guess is that there should have been a box with vent hoses to remove gases like you see in boats/pwc.
It is a sad thing though.

Yes, lots of German cars like to put the battery inside...

VW, Porsche, BMW, have all had some models that have the battery mounted inside the car. You get a longer lifespan out of the battery.

BMW batteries are in the trunk. I can speak to the other makes.

Interesting.... I didn't realize how common that was with the Euro options... hardest one I have is with my G35x since it is right off the firewall on the passenger side. A real PIA to take out as lower windshield trim also has to be removed to easily replace.

Interesting.... I didn't realize how common that was with the Euro options... hardest one I have is with my G35x since it is right off the firewall on the passenger side. A real PIA to take out as lower windshield trim also has to be removed to easily replace.

...and that's exactly why Euro brands move the battery out of the engine compartment...

The inside battery and carbon monoxide poisoning have NO connection. CO comes from a leaky exhaust. A battery gives off hydrogen and acidic water vapor--needs to be properly vented and enclosed.

I thought my Infiniti was PIA.... I could still change mine in a 1/4 of the time of that video. No Thanks! I like them up front and easy to get at. I keep tabs on the water and usually get 7-8 years on average so no complaints on lifespan.

Back