Plz post Pics of front strut's white mark/dot

dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
Guys,
I got my new struts installed couple of weeks back and I want to make sure that the white marks on top of front struts are good.
I have no idea how were the originals pointing to.
Can someone please post pics of both front struts with white marks pointing to right direction

Thanks

If looking at the engine bay, the passenger strut should have it facing the 10 o'clock position and driver side at 2 o'clock.

If looking at the engine bay, the passenger strut should have it facing the 10 o'clock position and driver side at 2 o'clock.

Thanks, just to confirm my assumption:: looking at the engine bay from the front of the car right ?

You can't get that info from anyone else, it's going to be different on each and every car. If you notice, the struts aren't centered in the top plates, they are offset. Those dots are used as a reference to set camber. Each car is going to be different. The trick is to put them back where your individual car had them before, that should get you closest, then you can verify when you take your car in for alignment. Because you didn't take note of where they were before, you have no choice but to get an alignment now.

Going off what someone else's car has could throw your alignment WAY off.

You can't get that info from anyone else, it's going to be different on each and every car. If you notice, the struts aren't centered in the top plates, they are offset. Those dots are used as a reference to set camber. Each car is going to be different. The trick is to put them back where your individual car had them before, that should get you closest, then you can verify when you take your car in for alignment. Because you didn't take note of where they were before, you have no choice but to get an alignment now.

Going off what someone else's car has could throw your alignment WAY off.

OK, if I don't know my previous white mark location, does it mean that I have lost my alignment forever.
If I go to alignment place, would they be able to make it properly aligned ?
If not, then who can ?
thanks

OK, if I don't know my previous white mark location, does it mean that I have lost my alignment forever.
If I go to alignment place, would they be able to make it properly aligned ?
If not, then who can ?
thanks

If you didn't take note of it, that was an expensive mistake. Now you need to have an alignment done. It shouldn't be out too bad, but who knows.

If you didn't take note of it, that was an expensive mistake. Now you need to have an alignment done. It shouldn't be out too bad, but who knows.

My car was already in need of an alignment and I know a good shop, lets see

Here's a pic like you asked for, 10 and 2 as was posted. This is the normal positions as I know them. Any other would be compensating for something else going on or just wanting more or less camber. I would get an alignment after having struts off the car for whatever reason even knowing the original positions of the dots and putting them back the same way.

100_1218.jpg

The shop manual shows the dots as referenced in the above posts. I assume that
is the factory setting. There is a square in the shop manual showing what changes
are made in different positions. The other positions are A B C

Position A changes camber +30' and doesn't change caster

Position B changes camber +30' and changes caster +30'

Position C doesn't change camber, changes caster +30'

Information is from page 02-11-2 in the 2002 Protege shop manual.
If you get them wrong it isn't a big problem because the change is about 1/2 degree. The wheels will not fall off or it isn't dangerous to drive but to prevent tire wear the alignment should be checked if you are changing struts regardless of the position of the old struts. Note. The position of the plate can affect caster or camber.

Clifton

Yeah, like was said above, you always get an alignment after replacing your struts, no matter what. But as for the dots, I would think that any other position besides the default would be due to something else like aftermarket suspension going on that causes you to compensate.

Besides, toe is really your big wearing angle when it comes to alignments - most garages don't typically adjust the camber or caster unless it's way out of spec.

Back