Phantom Rotational Noise....sounds like wheel bearing, feel free to chime in

04spoondc5

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Lately the car has had a noise, that I wouldnt describe as a humming(like wheel bearing), moreso kindof a grinding. I dont know, that sounded stupid but ive never heard an actual wheel bearing sound like this. Both wheels have zero play, is it possible to have bearing issues with no play in the wheels? up/down/side to side, none.

Im inclined to blame the carrier bearing on the pass. axle as the culprit, but the noise seems to come from right behind the pedals while driving(transmission, I start to think). Push in the clutch and coast at 60mph, doesnt go away, doesnt change tone, keeps groaning. Im hoping this is a familiar sympton with somebody and what did it end up being. Im really hoping carrier bearing and not bearings in the differential, how do i eliminate one or the other?

If it does it all the time and doesn't change when you turn left or right it's probly not a wheel bearing although they can make all sorts of noises.

Could also be the pilot bearing going out though

Is it dependent on speed? Change tones at different speeds?

You could be like me and have the squeeler on the brake pad warp and be touching the rotor, and it sounded exactly like a wheel bearing

Hmm. Might have to check that out today. Just cant imagine the squealer making this sort of noise. Only thing ive ever heard that sounds like it is a rear differential thats low on fluid. When im going slow enough to be making a turn you cant hear it. Usually 25mph+ gets louder the faster you go. At 65 with the windows up its so loud you cant hear anything if your on the phone with somebody. Im really leaning towards carrier bearing on the axle. But living in a place where i have a rock driveway on a hill and no shop access, its a b**** to do anything to the car

Pilot bearing? Refresh me on that. Its behind the clutch on the input shaft?wait thats the throwout bearing. Trans problems arent my forte

When I bought my mp3 it had a terrible grinding noise coming from the front end constant at any speed, worse at high speeds. I didn't think it was bearing noise either because the wheel bearings had no play. However the bearings can be shot even if there is no play. I replaced both fronts and have had no grinding noise since. They are relatively cheap and easy to change if you have a hydraulic press, but I don't think the labor at a shop would be too expensive either if you don't have access to the equipment.

Back