Phantom Electric Supercharger.... not the jicky ebay stuff....

Kags1969

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport
So this is not the jicky ebay $40 "supercharger", but a turbo compressor run by an electric motor. On the Miata application it makes 5psi tapering to 3psi and adds 50ft/50hp. Cost is about 2K + tune. Because it is low boost, there is no need to intercool.

Shiv Pathack is a well know tuner in California and did some really cool forced induction stuff with Miata's back in the early 2000's and is building this for the Miata. He is the originator of the Open Flash Tuner. I've known of him for years and is the real deal.

They have been using these in the FRS community for a while with good results.... Something like this for the Mazda2 would be fun....

http://www.phantomsuperchargers.com/

Interesting, but by the time you add everything together, including tune, you're not too far behind a Rotrex.

2500 for a rotrex?
I think the point was for a little bit extra you can get a real supercharger. Not that the Electrics are not real, but for the price and the limitations, seems a engine driven, or exhaust driven sc (turbo) would be a far better investment.

Don't get me wrong, these are interesting little gadgets, but I have a hunch if you wait a little bit you will be able to pick a used one up pretty cheap.

Besides, for about 2/3s the cost of the escape you can get equal or better power from a good calibration and a header. Note we are generally getting in the 170 range with PPE headers and our tuning.

Last edited:
I think the point was for a little bit extra you can get a real supercharger. Not that the Electrics are not real, but for the price and the limitations, seems a engine driven, or exhaust driven sc (turbo) would be a far better investment.

Don't get me wrong, these are interesting little gadgets, but I have a hunch if you wait a little bit you will be able to pick a used one up pretty cheap.

Besides, for about 2/3s the cost of the escape you can get equal or better power from a good calibration and a header. Note we are generally getting in the 170 range with PPE headers and our tuning.

You guys are still working on a supercharger kit?

The description is a little vague. While I don't doubt the gains I'm concerned about their explanation of there being no parasitic loss. If I'm reading correctly the stock battery is replaced with three: one acts as the normal battery although smaller, and the other two alternately power the supercharger. For this system to last indefinitely (energy isn't free) the whole thing must be tied into the stock starting/charging system, which means the alternator still has to work to charge the batteries. Considering how much the 2 suffers under additional load from things like A/C I'd be concerned about the effect on driveability this would have.

For the best small bump in power with minimal impact to driveability I still think a small turbocharger (GT15?) is the best option.

I'm tuning a guy with one of these on his Mazda 3 2.5L, they are quite impressive for being Electric. The pricing seems a bit steep though, but when you consider the ease of use and install.

So I have one of these on the way for my Miata... depending on how well it does I may just try and source the supercharger and electronics for my 2... this could be a nice FI option for those who dont want the full FI enchilada....

Subbed, my friend. I look forward to hearing your results.

So I have one of these on the way for my Miata... depending on how well it does I may just try and source the supercharger and electronics for my 2... this could be a nice FI option for those who dont want the full FI enchilada....

might work decent for the 2 with the engine being as small as it is. But I am a bit worried about the load on the alternator, this thing will drain the dump batteries, and will isolate the charging system while turned on, but the recharge WILL run the alternator wide open until the two dump batteries are topped off. Performance remains to be seen, and the price is sure a bit high compared to a real supercharger( based on whats out there for the MX5), but we are keeping an eye on the development

attachment.php

I got my Phantom Electric Supercharger in the mail yesterday and before I installed it into my Miata did a quick overview of the Mazda2 Engine bay. It looks like there is plenty of room in here for the supercharger. It looks like a strong candidate. I've emailed phantom to find out the cost on a developers kit to play with....

Attachments

• 2014-06-23 17.33.31.jpg
    2014-06-23 17.33.31.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 13,174
Last edited:
attachment.php

I got my Phantom Electric Supercharger in the mail yesterday and before I installed it into my Miata did a quick overview of the Mazda2 Engine bay. It looks like there is plenty of room in here for the supercharger. It looks like a strong candidate. I've emailed phantom to find out the cost on a developers kit to play with....

You peaked my interest, so I got a nice cold beverage and read the entire 20 something page post on the other forum.. This could be the next big thing. Easy to install, support on tuning (Both from The developer and from Joe(he mentioned he could develope a map no problem)), and low cost. Any estimation of HP increase in the 2? At 5psi non restricted (giving a claimednet of 7psi) I would think at 30% increase would be easy, but if we could get 50hp at the flick of a switch, that would be something...2200lbs, and 140whp would net a 0-60 in the 6 second range.

Not that I want to switch classes, but for $2500, to get the quickness of the FiST, I'd be in..

Last edited:
Me too!

Even a bump as modest as 20-25 horsepower is going to be amazing in this car. But if we can safely (not cause the motor to sh!t the bed) achieve anything close to 140 whp, it would be incredible.

Last edited:
Back