Perrin FMIC... help needed for install

Unispeed

:
03.5 MSP
Ok. I live in St. James MN, 56081. I will be ordering the perrin FMIC kit in 2 to 3 weeks but it will be customized to my liking directly by Perrin (already talked to them) so it might be 4 to 5 weeks before I see it. Now, I have read that the condenser pipes are a b****. Does anyone in MN have any experience in installing this? Any tips, pictures? Does Perrin send photo instructions of what you are supposed to bend and where to bend it at and how to bend it too? There are so many things going though my mind right now, so I would appreciate any kind of feedback.

Anyone that has installed one of these kits before is invited to reply.

Unispeed said:
Ok. I live in St. James MN, 56081. I will be ordering the perrin FMIC kit in 2 to 3 weeks but it will be customized to my liking directly by Perrin (already talked to them) so it might be 4 to 5 weeks before I see it. Now, I have read that the condenser pipes are a b****. Does anyone in MN have any experience in installing this? Any tips, pictures? Does Perrin send photo instructions of what you are supposed to bend and where to bend it at and how to bend it too? There are so many things going though my mind right now, so I would appreciate any kind of feedback.

I actually have a perrin FMIC. your gonna have to move things alittle. meaning lightly bending the AC lines and etc. your gonna have to cut two holes for the hot and cold pipes. the other thing is your gonna have to totally remove your stock bumper support and put on the tiny perrin support to hold your FMIC. i dont really like the support bar, it doesnt hold your bumper up that well. your bumper is going to sag alittle at each end do to not having the orignal support and foam. get ready for cutting.the fun part. your gonna need a wizzy cutter. and some paint primer. let me know if you need help installing. im more then welcome to help out.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know when the times come to install mine.

Jonathan

MZ ZOOM said:
I actually have a perrin FMIC. your gonna have to move things alittle. meaning lightly bending the AC lines and etc. your gonna have to cut two holes for the hot and cold pipes. the other thing is your gonna have to totally remove your stock bumper support and put on the tiny perrin support to hold your FMIC. i dont really like the support bar, it doesnt hold your bumper up that well. your bumper is going to sag alittle at each end do to not having the orignal support and foam. get ready for cutting.the fun part. your gonna need a wizzy cutter. and some paint primer. let me know if you need help installing. im more then welcome to help out.

Unispeed said:

What type of modifications are you getting done with Perrin?? I attempted to have them relocate the BOV adaptor higher up the pipe, but they said they wouldnt do it.....and that everything was already made and ready to ship. Almost lost business from me, they were kinda rude about it.....but i may still get there fmic.

Dual 1" nipples instead of the little one it comes with stock. It will recirculate very well... I will also be running 2 reflex diverter valves. The intake will also have 2 - 1" nipples. The turkey should be dead and buried with this setup.

Here is a conversation I had with Jeff from Perrin. He is in the shop actually doing the work and is the person you need to talk to. Let him understand what you want. If you talk to the person in Sales (John) he will probably tell you that they dont do custom work.

Here is my conversation with him about 2 weeks ago in AIM:

bazzoli85: hello, is anyone there?
ALTAPERRIN: hello
ALTAPERRIN: anyone is here
bazzoli85: hi lol
bazzoli85: My name is Jonathan and I was seriously considering the intercooler kit you offer for the MSP
ALTAPERRIN: ok
bazzoli85: but was wodering if it would be possible to alter the cold side pipe slightly... instead of having the small nipple you opper (for the stock BPV) I would want 2 nipples both 1". I will be running dual valves next to each other and they will both be recirculating
bazzoli85: *offer
ALTAPERRIN: If you are going to all that trouble, why 2?
ALTAPERRIN: People normally run 2 when a BPV and a BOV are used
bazzoli85: Because I have 2 Boost Science reflex diverter valves... and they have a 1" inlet
ALTAPERRIN: 1 should vent plenty enough air.
bazzoli85: I need a really fast pressure drop when I shift... something I know is not happening with your pipes straight out of the box... that intercooler is big and holds alot of air... one valve is IMHO good for a core half the size. For something like that I need either a really big valve, or 2 small ones. Since I already have 2 BPVs the "2 small valves" setup would be better for my situation.
bazzoli85: I come from a bad experience with the MAM intercooler too... mainly boost/vacum leaks... lets say that I buy a kit from you and pressure test (and I will pressure test it) and it does not hold pressure can I get it exchanged or fixed?
bazzoli85: to check my problems with my mam kit visit this forum page. It goes in detail on the pressure drop and how much pressure it drops over a given period of time starting from a pressure of 24PSI
bazzoli85: :::
bazzoli85: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123641224
bazzoli85: about that nipple though, would it be that much work for your shop to weld an extra one 2 inches away from the one that is already there and replacing the stock one with one that is 1"...?
bazzoli85: so I need to know 2 things... 1) Will you stand behind your product if I find leaks in it and request warranty service? 2) Are you change the nipple to a dual 1" nipple on the cold side pipe?
bazzoli85: *Will you change...
bazzoli85: There is noone in the area that can tig alluminum.. that is why if I bouht this it would have to be done by your shop
bazzoli85: I talked to Cullen at **********.com about it and he said that he would have to talk to you about this... but since he is a busy guy i thought I might get a quicker reply just by contacting you directly.
bazzoli85: Are you still there?
bazzoli85: not trying to make s*** hard for you, but I really need an anwer to those 2 questions.
bazzoli85: maybe we can continue this conversation later.... I have to run right now, but I will keep this window open to receive a reply from you. If you could give me your name it would also be great. So when I call I can ask for you and talk directly to you about this. Thanks.
ALTAPERRIN: I am sorry i had to run
ALTAPERRIN: one sec to read p
ALTAPERRIN: up
ALTAPERRIN: a 1" hole on the MSP will vent plenty of pressure to eliminate compressor surge
ALTAPERRIN: esspecially at the boost they run
ALTAPERRIN: The FMIC core you can test, it won't leak and if it does we will take care of you
ALTAPERRIN: They will not leak more than a small champagne bubble
ALTAPERRIN: which is not something you can hear, or will effect AFR
ALTAPERRIN: we can add another nipple
ALTAPERRIN: but i don't think it is necessary
ALTAPERRIN: but we can
ALTAPERRIN: sorry for the slow response
ALTAPERRIN is idle at 6:08:42 PM.
bazzoli85: no leaks would be the deal Perrin reppresentative... I have yet to get your name
bazzoli85: and yes, dual would be perfect...let me get my finances together and I will let you know as soon as possible, thanks
ALTAPERRIN is no longer idle at 6:30:41 PM.
bazzoli85: a name to go along with Altaperrin would be nice of you though... that way if I call I know who to ask for
ALTAPERRIN: I am Jeff, but not in sales. Ask for John
bazzoli85: thanks Jeff... when I get your intercooler I will put it though the same test the MAM intercooler went though. Pressurized to 24PSI... it must hold. If it has a good core and good welds on the entanks there is no reason it should loose pressure. The intercooler I bought from forum member CustomMSP (a SMIC) held to perfection... after 10 minutes the pressure was where I had left it at. Your intercooler is much more expensive and probably higher quality...
ALTAPERRIN: With bar and plate IC, There are some exceptable leaks
ALTAPERRIN: but generally there are none
ALTAPERRIN: The ones that are exceptable are not heard or seen
ALTAPERRIN: But over an hour might be
ALTAPERRIN: We test them to 2 bar of boost
ALTAPERRIN: and check for leaks.
bazzoli85: Jeff, I come from a history of leaks... you are right... If I dont hear them I wont complain about them... My car will shortly be put though some higher PSI abuse (speaking in MSP terms 15 to 17) it is getting alot of money put into it... I am sure you will understand my concerns. Thanks you for the answers... I will contact you as soon as I get my finances squared away. Another month should be enough.
ALTAPERRIN: I UNDERSTAND!
ALTAPERRIN: Leaks that leak PSI over seconds are bad news
ALTAPERRIN: and will cause bad MAF readings and put the turbo out of its effeciency
bazzoli85: amen, even over minutes can cause problems if under continuous boost
ALTAPERRIN: Somtimes
ALTAPERRIN: But it depends on the volume of air vs. the amount of actual air flow
bazzoli85: for example, with my MAM intercooler I lost 10PSI over 2 minutes, or 5 PSI/MIN
ALTAPERRIN: That is a bit much
bazzoli85: and you could definetly hear the leaks (all 8 of them) at 24 psi
ALTAPERRIN: That is enough to cause some rich AFR readings and loss in power
ALTAPERRIN: 8 leaks is bad!
ALTAPERRIN: i am not familiar with MAM
bazzoli85: Mental Addiction Motorsports
bazzoli85: http://**************************.c...d=205&osCsid=3a0051498edab622e8c298b1fe984430
bazzoli85: ohh, and here is the manifold I bought from them
bazzoli85: :
bazzoli85: http://**************************.c...d=203&osCsid=3a0051498edab622e8c298b1fe984430
bazzoli85: along with a 3" downpipe
bazzoli85: as I said I need the intercooler I will be getting from you to perform near perfection... I cant have it be the weak link
ALTAPERRIN: hmm, never heard of them
bazzoli85: if you have the means of pressure testing your intercooler please send me one that performs flawlessly... if you have one that leaks a little more than the other dont send that one... As I said, I accurately test them, most people dont. Just send me a good one when it's time.
bazzoli85: I appreaciate leak-free... most people on the other hand dont care because they dont know
ALTAPERRIN: we test all of them, but we can pick one that 100% vs. 99.9% leak free
bazzoli85: I will get in contact with you, specifically you when it's time to order. Thanks again. I need to go now.

CitizenPro said:
What type of modifications are you getting done with Perrin?? I attempted to have them relocate the BOV adaptor higher up the pipe, but they said they wouldnt do it.....and that everything was already made and ready to ship. Almost lost business from me, they were kinda rude about it.....but i may still get there fmic.

how can i test my fmic for pressure leaks? Also what is the largest fmic i can have for a stock turbo?

Back