Performance between different trims

pearlcx9

Took my CX9 GT fwd in for service, the dealer loan me a CX9 Sport fwd. The Sport seems to have a better acceleration then my GT (and more fun to drive). The engine seems smoother not like it is pulling a heavier load then the GT. Has anyone tried driving both trims to confirm this. Or, is my vehicle defective and need to have it check out. Anyone know if the vehicle is equipped with transmission logic that stores your driving patterns?

thanks.

Engines, transmissions and transmission logic are identical across all trim levels. FWD faster than AWD. 18" wheels faster than 20" wheels. No other differences to account for performance.

The tranny learns how you drive continuously.

The loaner is more subjective to abuse by various drivers. I am sure it would probably be more responsive since that is how people drive "other's vehicle". You are less likely to baby a loaner vehicle than your own.

Might be the towing package. I have it, and I know the low end torque is higher. It makes a fairly noticeable differences when taking off.

Any chance yours is a 2007 and the loaner was a 2008 or 2009? There is a significant horsepower difference between the 2007's and subsequent years. It's pretty noticeable. Mine of course is a 2007...

No it isn't.

It absolutely is...

Mazda:

Towing Package:
3,500-lb capacity
Heavy-duty transmission cooler and radiator fan
Revised Engine Control Module

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=CX9

Two dealers I dealt with prior to purchase indicated the the ECM program alters ignition and valve timing to provide better launches with heavy loads. I personally drove two identically equiped CX-9s one with tow and one without and the off-the-line feel was noticeably different. Maybe it's just me..

Further, though I can no longer find the link, Motor Trend or perhaps Car and Driver had a test drive where they reported their test vehicle was a little jumpy off the line due to the towing package programming and that starting off in 2nd or learning to feather the throttle helped reduce this effect.

Engine output is the same across the board. However, I am sure that the GT AWD is at least 500 lbs. heavier than a Sport FWD when you account for AWD system, unsprung weight of the 20" rims, and some of the extra bells/whistles not found in the Sport.

you have got to be kidding me! ALL CX9s have the same power output and depending on PCM calibration, are the same in torque and horse power. There is NO different power options and all a towing package means is it has a hitch and more than likely awd. If your cx9 has the most up to date pcm calibrations with the 3.7 engine, it is no different from any other except fwd or awd, i work on these vehicles every day, and am mazda master certified, and own a speed 6, i know these cars as good as the engineers and that is just silly to think because it has a hitch it somehow has another 50 horse or something. by the way, did you know by using halogen fluid in the headlights it gains an extra 30 horse too so maybe you shodl ask your dealer about that ha ha ha ha

Mr TRXSandracer, does the aisin transmission / ecm on the CX9 have fuzzy logic to learn how you drive? I am in your camp when it comes to what the 9 comes with power wise. I also question the unsprung wt differences between the wheel tire combinations, if the overall diameter was different, there would be a case, anyone know the difference in wt is?

FYI, the 18 inch factory tires weigh 32 pounds while the 20 inchers weigh 34 pounds, add that to the extra weight of the 2 inch larger wheel, you might have a case in a racing situation and a car that weighs 1/2 its weight, but not here. awd in 18 or 20 inch wheels are probably the same in performance, chock it up to cognitive dissonance.

I think you got it wrong a little.
The 18" tire is 35lb while the 20" is 34lb (shorter side wall makes it lighter). (data from TireRack.com)
The 20" wheel, of course, is heavier than the 18" one.
In combination, usually, the 18" combo should be lighter. Big wheel (same overall diamater) enhances sideway handling, not braking or accelerating (according to a test by MotorTrend a while back).

As you say this car will learn driving pattern an adjust its computer, so is there any way to reset it to factory default?

that aisin transmission sux... stupid toyota and cadillac use em too and they just suck... they say they learn driving pattern and stuff but its crap... The biggest reason I hate my mazda is its transmission and engine... but yeah aisin transmissions suck... I like ZF transmission they sure learn how you drive and shift properly.. and about the performance difference between trims; you guys are all right, I have driven 5 different mazda cx-9s and they all acted different... the thing is FWD takes off lil bit faster

the CX9 Aisin transmission is great. Smooth, adaptive, smart.

You say the Aisin doesn't adapt, then say you drove 5 CX9s and they were all different. They are different BECAUSE they adapted to the last driver.

The Aisin adapts VERY well and shifts nicely.

The Aisin transmission in the CX-9 is an excellent tranny. There isn't a better auto out there is the sub-premium brands. The 2010 tranny will be even better, they will get the improvements that the new 6 & 3 have.

Back