2017~2024 Pedal has a “click” at full throttle

Blobby

What will break first?
I’ve found mention of a detent around 75% throttle for eco reasons, but this feels like a physical switch that takes a good bit of force to get past way down at full throttle. I’ve only tried it with the car off.

At 95% throttle, the pedal stops, then with a good bit more force it clicks down to 100%. Is this just a little feature to let you know that you’re at full throttle?

I’ve found mention of a detent around 75% throttle for eco reasons, but this feels like a physical switch that takes a good bit of force to get past way down at full throttle. I’ve only tried it with the car off.

At 95% throttle, the pedal stops, then with a good bit more force it clicks down to 100%. Is this just a little feature to let you know that you’re at full throttle?
I periodically floor it, redlining from around 50 mph up to around 85 mph to blow out carbon. Whether that actually does any good is an open question, but at least it gets the blood pumping a bit. ;)

I can't say I've noticed pedal resistance in this exercise in auto (not manual) and normal (not sport) modes. That's for one trim, one drive train, one model year, one particular vehicle. I imagine results may vary. I've not tried it with the engine off--that could yield different results.

I periodically floor it, redlining from around 50 mph up to around 85 mph to blow out carbon. Whether that actually does any good is an open question, but at least it gets the blood pumping a bit. ;)

I can't say I've noticed pedal resistance in this exercise in auto (not manual) and normal (not sport) modes. That's for one trim, one drive train, one model year, one particular vehicle. I imagine results may vary. I've not tried it with the engine off--that could yield different results.
Yeah, floor it when the car is off... you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about if yours does it. I first thought something was stuck behind the pedal, then I thought the hinge was broken, but I’m pretty sure it’s built in that way. Feels like a very hefty ball and spring detent like on some closet doors.

I think I found it. Is it a kickdown switch? I’ve found a lot of mpg related things, but there’s no way anything that far down could be mpg related. Best answer I found is that it’s an “are you sure you want to floor it” warning and it may or may not trigger a downshift.

This has been explained numerous times, Mazda has even described it in the manual (but then who bothers to RTM?). At approximately 90% throttle there is a “kick down” switch which engages a lower gear for enhanced acceleration. Perfectly normal, relax.

I looked in the manual. Didn’t pour over it too thoroughly but didn’t find it in a 5 min search. Might have been in the transmission section (if there is one).

Yeah, floor it when the car is off... you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about if yours does it. I first thought something was stuck behind the pedal, then I thought the hinge was broken, but I’m pretty sure it’s built in that way. Feels like a very hefty ball and spring detent like on some closet doors.
I tried with the engine off. You're right as others have commented. There are several videos here that illustrate it:

I would expect it to downshift only situationally--it would stand to reason how you're revving at the time would matter. If I'm flooring it up to the click point (which is what I think I've been doing) and getting up to the red line I sure as h*ll would not want it downshifting and blowing past the red line. One would expect the trans and/or engine control modules prevent that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back