PC Help

Blake

Contributor
Got a few laptops here, that I am fixing for a friend. I got a problem with one of them, they were used by verizon and I think they have a login program that limits the user to what can be done. Im trying to reformat, and everytime I get to the PRESS f8 to continue screen, it tells me there is no harddrive...which I know to not be true as the HD light is flashing when windows loads all the default drivers and what not. Now my Question is, I want to do a flat cleanout of this harddrive, without using a windows CD, is there anyway to accomplish this?

It's funny, my HP laptop at home has a dish shaped keyboard from the impact of my fist. Damn thing's still working though. Grrrrr.....

use the windows cd to boot to the recovery console. that'll bring you to dos.

If it has a floppy drive you can try to find a windows 98 boot disk, and boot from that floppy and format it from DOS.

You can also do a low level format of the HD from your BIOS.

If you can't find the floppy disk image online let me know. I may be able to hook you up.

nm-- read the question wrong.

Last edited:
if you've got a floppy drive on that laptop, try booting with a bootdisk and either using fdisk or (preferrably) gdisk to wipe the drive clean of any files and/or partitions.

Got a few laptops here, that I am fixing for a friend. I got a problem with one of them, they were used by verizon and I think they have a login program that limits the user to what can be done. Im trying to reformat, and everytime I get to the PRESS f8 to continue screen, it tells me there is no harddrive...which I know to not be true as the HD light is flashing when windows loads all the default drivers and what not. Now my Question is, I want to do a flat cleanout of this harddrive, without using a windows CD, is there anyway to accomplish this?

Oh wait a minute, are you talking about the F8 to agree to the windows licensing agreement? Now I get it.. it's not detecting the HD because windows does not have a driver installed to see your HD. During the process when windows is loading it's default drivers leading up to that point, you should see a message on the bottom that says something like "PRESS F6 TO INSTALL A 3RD PARTY DRIVER".. it might be F6 or it might be another F# function button, i forget which one actually.. but anyway, press that button and it will then prompt you to install an additional driver.. you will need the disk containing the driver for your IDE or SCSI controller.

Back