Parking brake no longer holds vehicle

ecosse

:
2010 CX-9 AWD GT
Hi all, I had to replace the left rear wheel bearing recently, which was a success. I took my time and it was about a 3 hour job; $150 for the wheel bearing at Pep Boys, so it was not that big of a deal. My problem now is the parking brake. I'm sure I replaced everything as it was, but the parking brake no longer holds the vehicle. It goes straight to the floor when I want to use it; no resistance at all. I'll take the wheel off this weekend and have a look at it but I was wondering if anyone could offer me any idea of what may have caused it. Thanks

I replaced my rear rotors a couple years back and if I remember, the e-brake cable connects inside the rear rotor for the inside brake shoes and more than likely you forgot to re-connect it inside of the rotor. Probly just need to take that rotor back off and re-connect the cable.

What was the brand of the rear wheel bearing assembly and part number that you bought from pep boys. Did it give you any fitment issues.

I must confess, I've still yet to have a look at the rotor; I've just been to busy with work. I bought a Moog rear wheel assembly hub and it seemed to fit alright, removing the old one however was another story, but all in all I imagine it would be quicker if I needed to do it again, so no major complaints.

My parking brake no longer works. The quote from the dealer, $640 for installing new cables. Does not include shoes.
Reggie! I remember all those pictures of your cx9 covered in mud. Your parking brake cable length must have become all corroded and no good. Bummer. You thought about doing it yourself?

Hey, still here! How are you doing?! The car is good, just the usual repairs though, wheel bearings, PTU, differential bushings, are adding up.

Was thinking about fixing the parking brake myself but thought to ask the dealer about it too see if there is any adjustment left. The service manager said "you don't need a pairing brake, the car is an automatic"!

Try adjusting it at the park brake or at the rotor. Being a drum brake, they need regularly adjusting.

Try adjusting it at the park brake or at the rotor. Being a drum brake, they need regularly adjusting.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any insight on how to do that?

Attachments

• 6Ccg3.png
    6Ccg3.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 113
It's a real b---- to adjust. My adjustment knob was so rusted that it wouldn't move. Took hours of heating it with a blow torch and tons of PB blaster to finally get it to turn. It's back to needing an adjustment again but I'm so reluctant to do it again...

Hey, still here! How are you doing?! The car is good, just the usual repairs though, wheel bearings, PTU, differential bushings, are adding up.

Was thinking about fixing the parking brake myself but thought to ask the dealer about it too see if there is any adjustment left. The service manager said "you don't need a pairing brake, the car is an automatic"!
The Service Manager is technically correct, but if you park on an incline, the transmission pawl is the only thing that's keeping your vehicle from rolling away.
It can put a lot of stress on that particular part (it's basically a pin).
If it breaks, there goes your car.
On level ground, not using the parking brake is probably OK.
The other thing is, it has a dual purpose: it's also an emergency brake.
If for some reason your hydraulic brakes fail, then the e-brake is there to help you stop.
The chances you'll actually need it are very slim, but it's up to you if you go without it.

Lastly, if the cables are rusty and prone to seizing due to age and lack of use, when someone finally activates the e-brake, it may not let go when you try to release it. Your wheels will be locked, or close to it.
That happened to me once. Someone else drove my truck and pulled the emergency brake when parked. Trouble was, I hadn't used them in a while. The brakes wouldn't release, and I had a helluva time getting them loosened up. Not fun.

Back