Parasitic battery drain on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport. Looking for help

I have seen a couple of threads that make mention to the rear liftgate module, but haven't read too thoroughly on those. I wasn't sure if that was for models that have power liftgates, only. Mine is a bare bones Sport model, with manual liftgate. Maybe I should do some more reading on that though...
I don't think it is a liftgate, since the Fuse was already discovered. When I am removing it, battery lives, and liftgate is working.

.... I plan to visit the local Mazda dealer. ....
Request an estimate IN ADVANCE, for anything they plan to do. This could get VERY expensive for you in a hurry, unless they happen to have a PCM/TCM update available on the shelf, that would eliminate this parasitic draw.

Depending on what they would charge you to diagnose, you might want to instead consider using a permanent battery charger, as described in the earlier posts in this thread.

Request an estimate IN ADVANCE, for anything they plan to do. This could get VERY expensive for you in a hurry, unless they happen to have a PCM/TCM update available on the shelf, that would eliminate this parasitic draw.

Depending on what they would charge you to diagnose, you might want to instead consider using a permanent battery charger, as described in the earlier posts in this thread.
Yep, typical around here is the $89 diag fee regardless of outcome....plus tax.

Ok so here are my results...

- Battery voltage immediately prior to me starting this morning: 11.96 V
- Battery voltage immediately after starting (I had to use a jump pack to start it, of course. Jump pack was removed when I took my reading): 13.92 V
- Battery voltage following about a 40 minute drive, prior to shutting engine off: 13.75 V
- Battery voltage immediately after shutting engine off: 12.34 V
- Battery voltage about 30 minutes after shutting engine off: 12.17 V
- Battery voltage about 60 minutes after shutting engine off: 12.15 V

Not sure exactly what these numbers tell me, but now I'm wondering if my charging system/alternator might be the culprit?

I would certainly appreciate any further suggestions you have for me at this point, given these numbers.
No, the voltages look fine. The draw down of voltage over time is due to excessive parasitic current. This is the problem many CX-5 vehicles (including mine) are facing and are discussed in this forum. I too initially suspected the battery and replaced it, but it turned out that is not the issue.

As mentioned, these Mazda, CX fives are temperamental when it comes to batteries. I would definitely recommend having a tested at the very least buy a replacement one and see if the issue resolves. If it does not that it’s possible, the alternator not charging the battery when you’re driving.

Back