Paint rusty brake callipers red

icantshift

:
2002 Protege5 5spd
I want to paint my brake callipers red because I think it would go good with my black wheels, because right now they're rust coloured and it looks awful. I'm not familiar with paint at all, but I assume if I simply painted over the rust I would have some problems. Is there some kind of primer I can spray over the rust before I paint them? Thanks

Idk about any primer, but I used a dremel and sanded mine off. Took a while and a few sander attachments, but it turned out great. That's probably your best bet.

When I painted I didn't use a printer. I took them off and cleaned them up with a wire brush and then painted them with some caliper paint.

I want to paint my brake callipers red because I think it would go good with my black wheels, because right now they're rust coloured and it looks awful. I'm not familiar with paint at all, but I assume if I simply painted over the rust I would have some problems. Is there some kind of primer I can spray over the rust before I paint them? Thanks
If you know what brake caliper paint you are going to use, look at the directions. It will usually tell you what you need to do for prepping the surface.

get all the rust off or it will rust again especially if you drive where there salt or moisture ,there are rust inhibitors you can apply bfore you paint it also ,go to a body shop supplier and they will advice and have the supplies,Google it you will find no small amount of info

"if you can afford it' replace with new calipers and paint as you install.

Yes, wire brush and prep a lot. You will still have some sections peel off and need to be re-applied pretty soon.

"if you can afford it' replace with new calipers and paint as you install.

I just replaced the front ones, and as I was doing it I was thinking... I should paint these... I didn't and they looked like the old ones roughly 3 or 4 days after putting them on the car.

Latest posts

Back