P5 sunroof problems

My girlfriend just bought a nice black '02 p5. It's a bit noisy but she loves it so far. I searched but came up with nothing here on this topic. Here is the problem, the sunroof doesn't close all the way. It sits about 3/4" low in the rear when closed. I can tap the button and get it to close flush but as soon as you pull out the key it drops back down. All the other sunroof functions seem to work fine. I did look up the procedures in the service manual to adjust it but they are confusing and I am not sure that is what it needs. Anyone have any ideas?

If this has been covered before a link would be great. Thanks.

It sounds like it may just need to be adjusted, and I would think the dealer could take care of that for you pretty easily (and with maybe only an hour's worth of labor)

The glass can be adjusted a bit if you want to give that a try. There are four screws holding the sunroof glass in place (if you look at the sides you'll see the four screws). You can try to loosen but not remove the all four of the screws completely and simultaneously lift the glass to the proper height and re-tightening the screws to hold the glass in that position.

The glass can be adjusted a bit if you want to give that a try. There are four screws holding the sunroof glass in place (if you look at the sides you'll see the four screws). You can try to loosen but not remove the all four of the screws completely and simultaneously lift the glass to the proper height and re-tightening the screws to hold the glass in that position.

I was thinking of trying that. I assume the 4 screws are behind the plastic pieces on either side of the sunroof. I tried removing those but i didn't want to break them. I am going to take another look at it today before I decide to let her take it to the dealer. Thanks for the help so far, if anyone else has anything to add feel free.

OK sorry to bring up an old post of mine but I am still having problems with this. I got to the adjustment screws and loosened all of them and messed around with no help. Here is the deal, when you close the sunroof it closes nice and tight and at the last second it drops down and remains that way with about a 3/4" gap at the rear. How is the sunroof controlled? I am thinking maybe an electronic problem?? I can get pictures if that would help. tia.

just to help me understand the problem when you close the sunroof it will close fully then...does it drop immediately, does it only drop after you release the button?

just to help me understand the problem when you close the sunroof it will close fully then...does it drop immediately, does it only drop after you release the button?

OK well this screwy tin can of car has really got me irritated now.

I go out right now and usually you press c and the sunroof closes. now nothing. I tapped the arrow button twice and it automatically closes in the wrong low position. I reopen it and try the c button again, nothing, tap the arrow twice nothing. Then I manually close the sunroof with the arrow button and it closes correctly for the first time in a year. It used to be that it would almost always close in the low position immediately, but you could sometimes manually close it in the correct position but as soon as you turned off the ignition it would drop into the low position. I am convinced now its an electronic problem. Is there a computer for this thing or I am assuming its all in the switch and that needs replaced? ANyone replaced a sunroof switch?

Even though its now closed correctly its slightly out of adjustment from one corner to the other. I am assuming that from me messing with the adjustment a few months ago. I couldn't adjust it correctly because I could never get it to close correctly.

I am gonna do her rear brakes this afternoon on this crazy car, can't wait!!

happened to me remove the shade cover. there is a little plastic piece in there that broke on me so i took that shade cover off and just dark tinted it

Latest posts

Back