p5 j-pipe

kastleback

Contributor
:
2003 mazda protege 5
So its prolly somewhere around here already but I'm gonna ask anyways. I have an 03 p5 and am having some trouble with my j-pipe. The bolts holding the heat shield to my original jpipe has rusted to s**** and is making my job harder. I don't wanna break anything or cut anything yet so I wanted to ask you guys what the best and/or easiest way to change it.and if I can't do it..how much do u guys think a shop would charge me.thanks.

Heat shield? What is this heat shield you speak of?

Mine was rotted-off before I even got the car, my replacement j-pipe doesn't even have the brackets used to hold the heat shield on. I wouldn't worry about it.

^^ agreed with both of those. You don't need it. If you're worried, wrap it with some heat wrap. You have nothing to worry about unless you regularly park your car on a bed of straw after a long drive.

Lol. Ill stay away from the bed of straw fish.thanks everyone else. Now...I. need to determine which header to get. Ill prolly just stick with an oem one...and heard bad things about pairing an obx header with the corksport exhaust. And I don't want it to be any louder. And now I got another question...how do you replace the headers?

get a steedspeed mani and join us on the dark side... muuhahaha... lol. Be weary of the ebay stuff. Do your homework for the obvious ones like how to replace headers. the how to section will help you out there.

a good rule for this one is: you get what you pay for. other than, its your preference. it will more depend on what your power goals are, your budget and appearance taste.

Holy crap the steedspeed is expensive lol.unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. Yeah I don't mess with the ebay stuff unless I ask people first.

Haha yeah maybe if I turbo my car then ill see wassup. I don't need to be super fast. Not yet.

Well this car I'm gonna just increase handling performance.the car that I want will have to wait. But. Like the look of the p5s and protege.and I. Love this forum so my next car will be a manual transmission protege or p5. And also in lowell I consider it being different as well. I'm gonna end up giving this one to my girl cause its an atx. So ill prolly get all oem parts and replace all parts that are rusted so to make this car reliable.

Well this car I'm gonna just increase handling performance.the car that I want will have to wait. But. Like the look of the p5s and protege.and I. Love this forum so my next car will be a manual transmission protege or p5. And also in lowell I consider it being different as well. I'm gonna end up giving this one to my girl cause its an atx. So ill prolly get all oem parts and replace all parts that are rusted so to make this car reliable.

RockAuto.com will be your friend - they have tons of manufacturers that stock OEM-equivalent parts. They're aftermarket, but a lot of the suppliers actually make the OEM parts for various car companies.

IMHO, it's hardly ever worth it to drop double the money just so you can say you have "OE Mazda Parts"

ttrue slavrenz.guess I gotta rethink my strategy. All I know is for struts I'm gonna go for tokico blues...I think that's what their called.it is hard to say that ill go all oem though being the fact that this is still my car haha. Well maybe right now is goin to be all handling and reliability. But I still need new headers and will purchase a short ram intake as well.

Headers

Yes, still looking for good reliable headers, matching with the corksport power series? I saw (corksport) in youtube it sounds really good. How bad is the OBX matching with corksport? anybody?

Back