P5 HVAC Control Panel same as MPV?

RPRP5

2002 Mazda Protege5
So, my P5 has the dreaded AC issues (1 works sparringly, 2&3 dont even blow, and 4 flickers), and I am not gonna bother with soldering to try and get it fixed. A used HVAC control panel for a P5 on ebay runs me from 90/100 USD and makes life much simpler. But, I noticed that I can get the ones from the MPV for a lot cheaper, and they look basically identical. I just want to know if they're the same part and if I can use it in my P5.

Thanks,
Ryan

I'm not sure but I doubt it. The flickering AC issue has been a problem for almost every P5 owner since about 2003 and I would think that someone would have tried that at some point.

One thing that I remember is that Mazda finally addressed the problem with very late model P5's, something like 2003.5 build dates and later.

They basically replaced the fan switch with a much beefier design that could handle the current and heat better.
If you get a HVAC unit from an early model, you will probably end up with the same issue down the road.

There are model numbers listed somewhere in one of the AC threads that show the revamped version number.

You should take a look at your fan switch connector to see if it is burnt to s***.
If it's all burnt, you will need to do some soldering or crimping or something because you won't be able to plug it into your replacement HVAC unit.

A new replacement fan switch and connector will most likely fix your problem, if that's any easier for you, as long as you get the new and improved fan switch version. (I would assume that a brand new switch would be the improved version.)

Upvote 0
I checked out online Mazda parts and found this...
I assume that's the fan switch. It's kind of a crappy drawing.
I think it was drawn by a 7 year old with a crayon. Lol

Screenshot_20210214-075117_Google.jpg

I also found 4 different choices for the HVAC control unit ranging from $250-$380.

I assume my car has the $250 unit, because my car was built in September 2001 and my HVAC unit is crap. Lol

Screenshot_20210214-075559_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-075625_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-075657_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-075716_Google.jpg

I don't know what version is the improved version that is more reliable but you may be able to find that information on the AC threads.

You could also look up the part numbers for the MPV to compare.

If it has one of the same part numbers then your probably go to go with a used MPV control unit.

I forget what year of MPV is compatible with our car and what parts are interchangeable. (wiper & signal stalks I think?)

Our HVAC control unit is a bit tricky because if you have your air input set to recirculate, and you switch your selector to defrost, it automatically switches the input air to fresh and turns on the AC.
I kinda forget, I did the mod to bypass the AC and recirculate a long time ago.

That could have something to do with compatibility issues with other vehicles, but I'm almost positive that any HVAC control unit from any P5 will work with any P5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The face plate of the HVAC unit from an MPV looks the same, but they seem to be completely different once you take a look at the back. Nevertheless, I just scored an AC unit for $60 off eBay, so I'm happy with that.

Reactions: pcb
Upvote 0
Back