p5 gas saving questions

kastleback

Contributor
:
2003 mazda protege 5
So I have an 03 p5 wit roughly 85xxx miles.the only major upgrade really is the corksport exhaust but now I want to buy some gas saving mods.even if it means riskin hp.its an automatic so I dnt care too much about speed. The only reason I still have the cs exhaust is cause it sounds like a mini sti haha. I use chevron wit techtron every time I change my oil and sometimes after I fill my gas. Any ideas? Thanks

Gas saving is more about driving style than external mods. Maybe a K&N filter, inflate your tires 5psi more. Thats about all. The rest is all you. Don't drive over 55 mph, coast to red lights, pull away slowly etc.

^X2. Ensure she is running up to spec first. Check your driving style.

THEN consider:

A header would help. So would delete of the VTCS in the intake manifold.

Taller tires with smaller footprint would reduce rolling resistance.

Remove roof rack

Empty excess weight ('junk in da' trunk' ;) ).

maybe I meant to help increase my mpg? Or is that the same difference? Lol thanks for the info though

maybe I meant to help increase my mpg? Or is that the same difference? Lol thanks for the info though

All of the things that they've mentioned do increase MPG... Maybe I don't understand your question. Anyway, tire pressure is a big factor. As an exaggeration, try it out on a bicycle. Deflate some mountain bike tires and try riding around on the road. Then inflate them to the right pressure and ride around. Then, put road tires on that bad boy and ride around. This should illustrate the effect of proper tire pressure and tire footprint as mentioned above.

driving style makes a huge difference. the way i usually drive i get about 350 miles per tank. it i am careful with my driving (a lot easier since i have a 5 speed) i can get 500 miles out of a tank.

huge difference if you ask me, and no money spent on "gas saving mods"

leave windows up and dont use A/C, drive with no shoes for better throttle feel, leave huge gaps between you and the car in front of you, so if it slows down you can just let off the gas and not have to hit the brakes, dont plug stuff into the cigarette lighter thing, accelerate slowly. turn off your engine at stop lights where you know you'll be waiting a while, take highways as much as possible to avoid stop and go traffic, angle your mirrors out all the way then pull the housing in as far as you're comfortable with to reduce wind resistance :)

Since your under 90k I would suggest running full synthetic oil. I was getting 300 miles per tank and now my best has been 380 since switching to full synthetic oil, and thats "getting on it" alot. :)

Im going to try that mirror trick. lol

Last edited:
Lol the mirror trick. I'm strangely comfortable with the suggestion but will prolly not try it haha. Thanks guys. And also I was reading somewhere that an SRI can increase ur gas mileage by at least 1. But I guess that's still debatable...

Drive with a broken motor mount!

I discovered a torn lower mount on mine which prompted me to go a little easier on the revs and up-shifts until I had a chance to replace it.

Low and behold, my in town gas mileage jumped from 25 to 31. I'm getting 400 miles to the tank around town!

I just repaired the mount, so I guess it's back to 25 mpg. :)

try driving using only 1/4 of the gas pedal and keep shifts around 2500 rpms if you have the auto. Check the PSI once a week and keep it at 34-35. 3mpg extra by just doing that.

Mileage is so bad I try not to think of it..

The 02 automatic P5 we bought for my gf last year gets about 22 mpg (50% highway) when I am gentle with it. I couldn't believe how bad the mpg was- I have a 99 Maxima 5 speed(3.0L V6) that gets better than that. I know I'm getting an occasional misfire on at least 1 cylinder-the plugs are new and the wires meet spec, so I'm preparing to change the coils. I'll also be installing a header as I know the cat is ka(t)putski (code). Once I verify the compression is ok I'll address any other possible causes...in order of progression-pcv valve,coils, header, dirty EGR/throttle body/IACV and perhaps O2 sensors. If I note increases in mpg I'll post the results as it could be useful for others, especially if one thing makes a noticeable difference.

The most I've ever seen out of a tank , is 309 miles with the low-fuel light just coming on. That was on a trip from Va. to FL. at about 5 over the speed limit. No issues with car and it's got about 39K on the clock w/stinktronic auto.

Where do I get the magic 400 mile gasoline?

Step one- manny tranny FTW!

Step two - Other mods that help MPG (and powah'!!)...

I usually get 31+ MPG every tank ;)

Yeah I want a manual. But my p5 I'm giving it to my girl and I'm thinking bout gettin a civic or something to learn standard for a bit.plus theey come pretty cheap.

in my CRV LX 2WD, i usually stays at 60mph so the rev is at 2000rpm. now i have an '02 mp5, to keep at 2000rpm, my speed is 45mph. other cars keep on passing by. :) does the speed matches the correct revolution? going up to 60mph puts the rev around 2750 rpm. last week i measured, 24mpg @city driving,with a bumper-to-bumper traffic at i-75 (detroit). i just changed my EGR valve and hope it adds some miles on it. i have not checked the tire pressure though.

-sirjune

Back