P2009 and P0090

TaylorM

:
2003 Protege5
Hey everyone, I am new to the Mazda Forums and looking for a little help. I tried google searches and looking on here for the same topic but didnt find much. If you have seen this come up else where, I would appreciate it if you would kindly post a link and I'll read through however many pages I need to.
First, the Background:
I have a bone stock 2003 Protege5 with 110k miles that has always treated me well. I have had some engine codes popping up recently and I have dealt with them one at a time. At first I had a Lean Fuel/Air Ratio code come on with a Fuel Pressure Regulator (P0090) code. I replaced the Regulator and found a hissing noise from my intake gasket. I removed the intake and replaced the gasket and threw it all back together. This was about 2 months ago.
Now, I have two codes popping up: VTC solenoid code (P2009) and Fuel Pressure Regulator (P0090). I thought it was odd that the P0090 came back because I had replaced it so recently. So I decided to attack the P2009. I got a new solenoid and replaced it, then cleared the code. Code stayed off for a day... now its back. But it only comes back with both P2009 and P0090. In my google research, I haven't found anybody with these two coming on together. Anybody ever heard of this? Or does anybody have any ideas how I can go about fixing it? I read online somewhere that the P2009 can be caused by a bad sensor. Anybody know what sensor this is or where it is located?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Until someone with more direct solutions comment, I will leave my suggestions.

Might not be your pressure regulator, might just be your pump as the pumps are known to fail and when they do they don't provide enough pressure. Don't go throwing parts at your car now, but its just something to think about.

For the P2009, those solenoids on the intake for the VTCS (Green connector) and VICS (white connector) go bad so often I have had to replace them for every single protege I have worked on.

Make sure the plugs are seated well, the vacuum lines aren't cracked and are also seated well.

If you want to verify that it is indeed the solenoid, switch the white and green connector and see if it throws a different code, if it does, then its the solenoid.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123769638-Cel-p2009

Cheers,

Phil.

Check you're intake hose mine started leaking and I didn't know that it was and in a few days my intake hose was almost 2 pieces that's for the po090 don't know about the other one that problem happened to my around the same milage

Thanks for your responses!

@The_big_dill
I did put a new sensor into the VTCS (green) spot, with no change to the code. I noticed the VICS solenoid was broken, I think I broke it when messing with the VTCS. So I put the old VTCS solenoid in the VICS spot and put the white plug in it. I figured that if the solenoid is bad, the code would migrate with the solenoid to VICS. But I drove it for about 45 min and it came back on, again reading P2009. I also rechecked plugs and vacuum lines, nothing looks cracked or not seated.
Is there any way to tell if a fuel pump is going bad and causing the P0090?

@pdx-tony
I didnt notice any cracks or leaked when I had it off last month cleaning the MAF sensor. I will check again though. I hope it is something that simple!

Last edited:
,... Is there any way to tell if a fuel pump is going bad and causing the P0090? ,...

That code is listed as code P1250 for our car.

Here's the checklist for it...

prc%20p1250_zpstv9s6kpo.jpg

,... Might not be your pressure regulator, might just be your pump as the pumps are known to fail and when they do they don't provide enough pressure ,...

You may have a clogged fuel filter, which is the housing for the fuel pump.

Low fuel pressure will throw that P1250 code (AKA,... P0090)

Here's a link to my fuel filter replacement How-To ,...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...How-To-Change-Your-Fuel-Filter-(lots-of-pics)

Here's part of what is done for a fuel pressure test,...
fuel%20pressure_zpsls2hhlhm.jpg

Last edited:
Back