Overdrive on P5's?

dirizarr

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi guys our automatic P5's do not have overdrive correct? Mine has the button on the lever but does nothing. Doesn't turn on or off seems like the button is there just to be there. LOL

I have sportronic so no OD button but once you get driving a steady cruising speed it locks up the torque converter IIRC. It is 4 speed auto but when in manual mode and you go thru all the gears and are cruising a constant speed and are no longer accelerating in 4th, it's like it drops into another gear and the rpms drop 100 or 200. If you are in 4th in manual mode and punch the gas it seems to have like a half passing gear but it really is just the thing unlocking to accelerate. The gear indicator stays on 4 the whole time. I use manual mode with cruise control so it doesn't drop into 3rd and rev up a bunch just to accelerate itself over a hill on the freeway. So it's almost like I do have an OD of some sort but no button for it specifically. I can't speak to whether this similar thing goes on with regular auto with OD tho.

+2 However, I believe the wires to the button get disconnected over time. As I understand it, the OD is on by default and must be turned off with each start of the car. There should also be an "OD Off" light on cluster. I have started the progress of removing the handle to reconnect the buttons, but I am having trouble unclipping the wires after removing the console (cup holders).

I also forgot to mention that when the ignition switch is on all cluster lights turn on except the o/d light.
What rpms are you guys hitting on your automatic tranny at 80 mph? I am over 3k rpms? Im assuming to be at fourth gear there even though the button is in and doing nothing. Is over 3k rpms normal at that speed?

I also forgot to mention that when the ignition switch is on all cluster lights turn on except the o/d light.
What rpms are you guys hitting on your automatic tranny at 80 mph? I am over 3k rpms? Im assuming to be at fourth gear there even though the button is in and doing nothing. Is over 3k rpms normal at that speed?

I'm on 3000rpm right at 70mph, 65mph is about 27-2800rpm, 80mph is about 32-3300rpm, 100mph is about 40-4200rpm IIRC...not there very often at all.

OK so seems about right then. I am in the same rpm range at those speeds. I guess my tranny is on overdrive just cannot turn it off which doesn't matter.

I have a auto with overdrive and mine work great, push the button and the trany drops to a lower gear and throttle response is better. (my very own push to pass button(boom06)) RPM is around 3800-4000 at 70mph with O/D off

I have an 02 auto. With OD on and TC locked at about 60 mph the engine is at 2600 rpm. With OD off at the same speed, engine is at 3600 rpm.

Back