Outstanding Highway Fuel Economy!

Well, having driven 46 kilometers since we left the dealer I filled up the tank. At 446 kms it required 18.1 gallons to fill, so 446-46 equals 400kms which are 250miles, so 250 / 18.1
got 13.82 mpg in my first tank . It this the way to calculate it?

ANyway, I've got an 08 GT AWD , and it was mostly bumper to bumper and city driving, with around 30% highway and sometimes the ac on. I really hope that the mpg improves, since it was only my first tank. Anybody knows how much the MPG improves??

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I just bought an 07 CX9 FWD to replace an 02 Expedition with a 5.4 L V8. It was getting up there in mileage and with over $90/barrel for oil wanted something to help with fuel economy. Plus the dealership had a really good deal couldn't pass up.

It will be used to haul a family of six plus a beagle mix, mostly in-town. I will be using a roof top carrier and a possible hitch haul for our yearly camping trip, vacations and visits to family to Lousiana. I used the roof top carrier and the hitch haul on the Expedition, too. The CX9 has the rear lights higher and won't be blocked by the gear on the hitch haul for taller loads.

We anticipate losing a child to college next year so for most of the service will be down to 5 then to four in two more years when another one goes.

O.K. the interior is smaller than the Expedition but it drives significantly nicer from a comfort and performance standpoint. It has all the updated safety features like three row side air bags, traction control, anti-rollover control, abs, etc and tire pressure monitoring. I like the 6 speed transmission and "shift-matic" manual control and latest in engine technology such as variable valve tech.

Now for my fuel economy:

My copper red CX9 had 294 miles at purchase and was full of gas. First fill up (60 hwy/40 city) 17.7 mpg. Third fill up (90 hwy/10 city) going to Dallas was 22.4 mpg (with just my wife and son at a soccer college showcase tournament).

We didn't record the mileage on the second fill up but I put in over 20 gallons. I didn't run out of gas but the light had been on for ~ 10 miles. The spec states 20 gallons so it may hold more ~20.5?

I believe I can get better fuel economy as the car breaks in. And will report on this forum.

Also, visit the governement's MPG site at www.fueleconomy.org for shared statistics on all cars including the CX9.

Looking forward to the forum.

Anyone have new MPG stats to share? Looking to get a new car and it is between the CX-9 and Highlander. Still need to test drive, plan to do some serious looking in January.

I have a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD with just over 800 miles on it. I am getting 13.5 MPG all city driving and I am not heavy footed.

I hope it get better with age.

Tom

I have a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD with just over 800 miles on it. I am getting 13.5 MPG all city driving and I am not heavy footed.

I hope it get better with age.

Tom

Yeah, I get around that same MPG and yes, mostly city driving, plenty of stop and go....and sometimes with A/C on. I have just over 1300miles.

recent 800 mile trip to Cali, including LA, PCH, Yosemite, Tehachapi, etc. I am a little heavy footed in our CX9 (this car demands to be driven), and LOVE tossing it around winding roads and LA traffic. Mountains, hills, LA freeways, stop and go, icy roads, and we averaged 21 MPG for the entire trip and after each fillup. I'm very pleased with that. And no, we didnt stop in El Portal for gas at $4.75. Yikes

The MPG on the CX9 SUCKS. I just took a trip from Atlanta to Daytona and only got 20 MPG on the Highway.

I recently sold my Excursion Turbo Diesel. I got 19 MPG with my Diesel on the Highway. I also had 95,000 miles on it and was NEVER in the shop except for tires and oil changes.

20 mpg on the freeway sounds about normal for me. I get usually 15-20mpg.

I am getting about 18.5 MPG in combined city/hwy driving. Haven't taken it on a road trip yet, so highway mileage waits to be seen.

My CX-9 replaced an Escalade that got 14-15 MPG, so any increase is welcome. (thumb)

I have now calculated my pure highway mileage for 3 full tanks now, and I average only 18.5 for all highway driving. (averaging 70mph)

I don't understand why I am below the newly calculated EPA of 20mpg.

Under the old EPA system, my 2002 volvo was rated at 32 mpg and I got exactly that all the time on the highway, and I drove that car even faster than I drive the CX-9.
Around town I am getting 13.5, and I get 15 for mixed driving.

Do I have a whole in the gas tank? Or could my 2008 AWD with the tow package have something to do with it?

2007 Touring with towing. Well loaded driving at 70-75 mph, my freeway mileage between Houston-Atlanta-Houston works out to 24.08 MPG. City mpg was not so pretty, around 12-15. Cheers all.

LiquidPlatinum

Last edited:
22mpg is "outstanding"? HAHAHHAHA
now I remember why europeans laugh at us for driving gas guzzlers

22 is outstanding to me! (for a 4500 pound vehicle)
And LiquidPlatinum got 24??? Are you sure you measured you gallons properly? I guess you had front wheel drive, but that is amazing to get 2 mpg over the EPA rating when you are driving at faster speeds than the EPA uses for testing. Now I am really confused as to why I am getting 18.5 highway.

Best I've managed so far for a whole tank is 21.0mpg at a steady 75mph. That's for a 2007 GT AWD.

I live in Washington State. Drives about 50/50 City/Highway. I got an average between 15-16 mpg with my 07 CX9 AWD which is the same with my 2007 Ford Expedition. I drive the CX9 the same way like I drive my Expedition (very light footed).

Very dissapointed with the CX9 mpg. Hopefully it gets better...

I have about 1500 miles in my CX9.

I've got a little over 20K miles on my 2007 CX-9 GT AWD. Overall mileage is 18.3mpg with 54% of the miles on the highway. Every tank is documented on www.truedelta.com (which I highly recommend).

A few observations:

Cold weather really kills gas mileage - an easy 2mpg for me!
Steady 75mph on the interstate consistently gets 21+mpg.
Worst I've ever gotten for a tank was 16.0mpg.
Using the cruise control (even in the city/suburbs) REALLY increases mileage.
Having a ScanGuage (www.scanguage.com) constantly showing instantaneous and average mpg helps keep my foot out of the gas :)

Back