Our new CX-5: brake dust on wheels, care, future pad selection?

Spent a couple hours on, "search," here and did not see what I am looking for. Our new CX-5 has now 655 miles on it. Within the first 300 miles I noticed a lot of dark brake dust/residue on the alloy wheels. Didn't surprise me, except the extent of it. Seems more than I'm used to. So maybe they use soft pads......? Maybe after break-in miles it will diminish, but I doubt it. So I've found a good looking detail brush, ("EZ Detail Brush," about $25), on line. I will look for a gentle wheel cleaner, (maybe Meguiars), and pay attention. So question here is what cleaners do all of you use and do you stick with OEM pads when replacement is due or look for something not so dirty???? (I don't favor metallic because of rotor wear - I think they are cleaner)
Thoughts on pads, care, etc?
Thanks, Dennis

Interesting, because I've never seen a speck of brake dust on my 17 wheels. And don't recall anyone complaining about it here. I wonder if they've changed the pad material.

I haven't paid attention to the amount of brake dust. But it is likely break-in miles where the pad material is trying to bed-in to the rotor.

I clean my wheels with the same ez detail brush that you likely found on amazon and a microfiber towel. If I am not washing the whole car and just the wheels, I usually use some Simple Green and agitate the wheel with the brush. If I am washing the whole car, I just use two bucket with car soap and brush, but I rinse off the brush with a hose each time before dipping it in the soap bucket. Then touch up spots I couldn't get with the microfiber towel.

Apply "Rejex" to the rims. It is a paint sealant the works well on making the brake dust easy to clean off. http://rejex.com/

Wade

Moved my comment to another thread since it is only tangentially related to brake dust. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back