Ordering a car?

Yes, since it doesn't enter dealer inventory, the purchaser should save money on the bank interest in his Floor Plan. (The $ the dealer borrows to purchase inventory.)

Yes, since it doesn't enter dealer inventory, the purchaser should save money on the bank interest in his Floor Plan. (The $ the dealer borrows to purchase inventory.)

Does the dealer stand to make more/less profit?

OK, so I didn't realize you could still do this (I ordered my Dakota back in 1997, but figured it was a thing of the past).

A dealer has been texting me, and mentioned they have the only Eternal Blue in Houston right now, if I'm interested. I told him thanks, but I don't want a car with a black interior (possibly the a factor for it being the only one in town) because of how hot it gets, though the Eternal Blue is my favorite color. He said they could order one in parchment white "fresh from the factory" -- that caught my attention. Not sure I believe him entirely since the Mazda literature doesn't have that combo, supposedly. Also asked if at GT could be ordered with17" wheels, and he said I could get one with the wheels that come on the sport trim, if I prefer those.

Things that make you go "hmmm."

So, does this ping anyone's BS meter? Anyone else looking to "order" a car, rather than buy one already put together?

I doubt very much you can get the interior colour of your choice which doesn't match what is only available from the factory combination specification. As for the rims, the dealer could do that but be sure to get a discount as the 19 inch are sure as hell worth more than the 17 inch wheels and tires. Or you could keep the 19s and privately sell them on the market and buy the 17 inch oem wheel package or aftermarket rims. The best option is still to swap to the ones you want at the dealer and hopefully get a discount.

The '13 models had only one colour for headliner/pillars. The interior colour difference was purely in the seat upholstery, upper door panels, door armrests and center armrest. I liked the blue but ordered the red 'cause my preferred sand interior was not available in blue. Two point five months later when the car arrived I was taken out by a sales rep to be introduced to it, and sitting beside it was a blue/sand version awaiting its meet-the-owner.
I asked what gives and was told that NOT having blue/sand was a deal breaker so through prior agreement, when the ordered blue/black came in they swapped the interior with a red/sand ordered for the dealer lot. As the red came in either black or sand the red result was still a standard model. If you have a dealer that wants to go the distance, you have options.
Brian

The '13 models had only one colour for headliner/pillars. The interior colour difference was purely in the seat upholstery, upper door panels, door armrests and center armrest. I liked the blue but ordered the red 'cause my preferred sand interior was not available in blue. Two point five months later when the car arrived I was taken out by a sales rep to be introduced to it, and sitting beside it was a blue/sand version awaiting its meet-the-owner.
I asked what gives and was told that NOT having blue/sand was a deal breaker so through prior agreement, when the ordered blue/black came in they swapped the interior with a red/sand ordered for the dealer lot. As the red came in either black or sand the red result was still a standard model. If you have a dealer that wants to go the distance, you have options.
Brian
You brought up an excellent point! Mazda's color scheme for interior is very simple. Not like others almost everything is black (carpet、dash、seat belts, etc.) even if you select a non-black color. Swapping seats and door panels would easily change the interior from one color to another! It's an easy job for dealer like swapping 19" to 17" factory wheels!

I'm not a fan of heavily tinted windows... but how much would that fix interior heat? Seems like making windows darker means they'd warm up more?

The tint blocks out almost all UV, and the darker tints also block out IR which is the heat. So dark tinted windows keep the interior much cooler.

Back