Ordered me some TIRES!!

I ordered 4 tpms OEM Mazda sensors on ebay for 120 dollars shipped! This is dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
mazdasingle.jpg

Then ordered my tires from Tirebuyer.
It was fate. I pulled out of my house this morning and less than a mile later a big truck blasted past me with a big "TIREBUYER" sign on the back (American Tire Distributors truck)
My local trusted tire shop wanted over 200 dollars more, and although the install is free to go through the local shop, it still is a huge price difference.
By ordering over-the-phone they gave me 20.00 off.

679.60 Shipped to my house. Nitto NT850 Plus CUV 245/50/20. This is pretty much the best price you are going to find for tires for our car, other than Eagle RSA.

nitto-nt850-plus-cuv.jpg

Good price with shipping. I'm SO glad I don't have to buy a $et of $now tire$ too.

Those mazda units are wireless I see? Where's the receiver?

I may be mistaken but I think there are 4 wireless recievers one in each corner of the body. Jim Ellis wanted like 92.00 for each tpms sensor.

I think there is only ONE receiver. Hence, our system cannot tell you which tire is low on pressure.

The TPMS uses the antenna for the keyless entry system - but it can identify individual wheels (4) for pressure/temp issues or failures. There are error codes for specific wheels. Also monitors a set (2) for speed and mileage. But it won't id their specific location on the car, so the procedure is to inflate each differently and drive it. Those recorded readings will point to tires 1-4, so you can figure it out which position they are in.

I image they must have different frequencies on each tire sensor. Did you notice this with your set helbig?

All 4 are 315mhz...
Thanks. You have to register them first with the OBD, so it could be using a unique code to keep track of them.

At the Continental site, I saw diagnostic readers and sensor triggers to make the process easier. Looks like you could do this yourself if you had the right tools for your specific car.

This is the ford trigger.
1589-02-1.jpg

Got 4 rubbers and 4 tpm sensors replaced today. Set me back just about 1k total, which is not bad for tires, tpm sensors, and roadforce balance.

IMG_3847_zpsf8695ec7.jpg

IMG_3852_zps8a67092a.jpg

IMG_3854_zps0ca715f7.jpg

This might be a silly question, but why did you have to replace your TPMS when you got new tires? Unless your TPMS were broke, I'm not sure I'm understanding? The sensors will sense the air pressure, no matter which tire you use...maybe I'm missing something?

I had one leaking a little air (3-4lbs per month beyond the other 3 tpms valves), and given the *average* tpm sensor battery lifespan is 5 years (10 years max if one is lucky), and being that I found them oem, all 4 for 120 dollars shipped, oem, on ebay, this was an opportune time to replace them since they would have the tires off the wheels anyhow. Plus the new Continental gen 2 sensors are designed better. A win win.

Ahh, I gotcha. Yeah, that is a good price. Those little suckers are expensive.
My TPMS for my other ride are about 5 and 1/2 years old now, so far so good. Actually, they are riding in a little pressurized canister under my back seat, lol, no TPMS light in 3 years :D (I bought new wheels and tires as a package, and didn't feel like paying someone to dismount my brand new wheel package, so I could have the TPMS installed, and I didn't feel like paying the tire seller assloads of money for new TPMS mounted in my setup, THEN pay the stealership to reprogram the truck to accept the new TPMS).

When the batteries die in them, I'm gonna do the diode/resistor thingy trick...there's a write-up somewhere.

I had one leaking a little air (3-4lbs per month beyond the other 3 tpms valves), and given the *average* tpm sensor battery lifespan is 5 years (10 years max if one is lucky), and being that I found them oem, all 4 for 120 dollars shipped, oem, on ebay, this was an opportune time to replace them since they would have the tires off the wheels anyhow. Plus the new Continental gen 2 sensors are designed better. A win win.

How would you know if your TPMS battery was dead? Is there an indicator other than the low tire pressure indicator? Or--do you just have to figure it out because the low pressure indicator won't clear when the tires have the correct pressure?

You would know you had at least one dead battery if your tire pressure light came on and wouldn't turn back off even after filling with air or not needing to fill with any air. Of course a tire shop / dealership would have to double check first.

Tex, there is an OBD code for each missing of malfunctioning wheel unit. The system needs to be driven for about 10 min at >15.5mph to register data.

Chances are you tires will wear out before the batteries, so that seems the best time to replace the TPMS valve unit.

I assume they are reusable from tire to tire, if you want to replace a crappy set of treads? These seem to be screwed in rather than crimped on.

Back