Orange Virus Tuning Turbo Kit!

0v3rc10ck3d

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package
Wow... I thought you couldn't turbo a motor with such a high compression ratio? Pretty awesome gains, what do you guys think this does to reliability?

From their facebook page
3rd Gen 2.0L and 2.5L.
Two turbo kit options, "Entry level" and "race"
Full kit comes with: Front mount intercooler, Stainless oil lines, coolant lines, oil return, all fittings, intake, turbo, turbo manifold, downpipe, tune.
2.0L entry level: Billet ball bearing 18G turbocharger option, 7psi (+100whp)
2.0L Race trim: Billet Ball bearing 20G turbocharger, 10-12 psi, Port Methanol injection. (+150-180whp).
2.5L entry level: Billet Ball bearing 20G Turbocharger, 6psi (+120whp)
2.5L Race trim: Billet Ball Bearing 25G Turbocharger, 10psi, Port methanol injection (+180-220whp)
2.0/2.5L Entry level turbo kit Pricing (before Group discount) : $5600
2.0/2.5L Race trim turbok it price (before Group discount) : $6200

Wow... I thought you couldn't turbo a motor with such a high compression ratio? Pretty awesome gains, what do you guys think this does to reliability?

Well, if you have a spare CX-5 lying around that isn't needed as a daily driver, why don't you try it and let us know? (laugh)

You can add forced induction to any motor.

Just keep money set aside to replace components that will fail quicker than stock power levels.

It think I'd be more interested in a slight all-motor build/ecu upgrade to the tune of 20 hp out of the 2.5L engine. Being that its not too far from euro and Japan specs it should be safer than a turbo.

Back in the day, it was known boost up to 8psi wouldn't hurt most engines if detonation was addressed properly. Longevity of transmission/rear end was shortened. Maybe that 6psi kit could work, if you ran 91 octane gas all the time, and had a knock sensor to shutdown boost if it occurs. You'll be lucky not to blow a head gasket on a 13:1 CX-5. Higher boost would require machining heads for a ring gasket, and that high HP would cause transmission to self destruct constantly.

IMO, the biggest problem is that modern engineering efficiency has shaved weight and durability from transmission components to match stock engine HP. Back in the day, a 5.0 Mustang T5 transmission/rearend could stand a juiced motor that could do 10 second quarter miles. Ford over engineered 5.0 drivetrain because they knew folks would race them. The CX-5 has balanced efficiency with lightweight components. IMO, a turbo'd CX-5 would break, a lot.

If you want to go fast, buy a V6 Rav4. Those can run in the mid 13s stock.
They have terrible transmission problems though.

Last edited:
If you want to go fast, buy a V6 Rav4. Those can run in the mid 13s stock.
They have terrible transmission problems though.

Weren't those more or less mid to upper 14 second vehicles with 0-60 in 6.5 second range?

Weren't those more or less mid to upper 14 second vehicles with 0-60 in 6.5 second range?

There was a guy in Rav4 forum that tweaked his to reach mid 13's.
He did things like removed rear seats and spare tire, but engine was completely stock.
I'm sure he was doing things like powerbraking, slicks, and homemade ramair.
I test drove one, and its a bat out of hades. Notorious tranny problems scared me from purchasing one.

Last edited:
Back