Opening windows/moonroof with advanced key

tulsamal

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I bought a new 2011 CX-9 Touring on 30 MAR. Had planned to do it a month or two later but the 0% financing offer pulled me in early. Got it with two of the packages, moonroof/Bose and power liftgate/advanced keyless entry. I'm very happy with the vehicle but I've only driven a few hundred miles at this point!

Going through the manual, I've been trying various things. This one keyless entry thing just refuses to work for me. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or some option needs to be re-programmed, etc.

The manual clearly says you can open the front windows and the moonroof from outside the car with the advanced key. It says to start with all door closed and windows up. Check. Locked or unlocked. Check. Then to push the unlock button and "within 1.5 seconds, press and hold it again." I do that. It beeps and unlocks when I push it the first time. It beeps again when I press and hold. The little red light on the remote continues to blink as long as I hold the button down. But the windows don't move. The moonroof doesn't move.

The manual further states you can do the same thing with the auxiliary key. So after trying and failing with the remote, I remove that key. Insert and turn and hold.... windows go down, moonroof opens up.

Parking lots in Oklahoma can get ridiculously hot during the summer months. I've always used a key on my VW's to lower all the windows from the outside before I get in. I was happy I was going to be able to do this with the Mazda. But I want to be able to do it with the remote and not by withdrawing the key every time!

I've tried this on two different days just in case I was doing something stupid but it has done the same thing both times! What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks,

Gregg

You need to program the one touch auto feature on the windows. I had this same problem with this same car. Picked mine up on the 25th. Great truck.

First you need to turn the key to acc or just start the truck. With the widnow rolled up, push the down button until it rolls all the way down. Then pull it up to roll it all the way up but hold it another second or 2 and I think you hear a click. The one touch auto up down feature should be set. Do the same with the passenger door and then your auto feature will work with the key system.

I bought a new 2011 CX-9 Touring on 30 MAR. Had planned to do it a month or two later but the 0% financing offer pulled me in early. Got it with two of the packages, moonroof/Bose and power liftgate/advanced keyless entry. I'm very happy with the vehicle but I've only driven a few hundred miles at this point!

Going through the manual, I've been trying various things. This one keyless entry thing just refuses to work for me. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or some option needs to be re-programmed, etc.

The manual clearly says you can open the front windows and the moonroof from outside the car with the advanced key. It says to start with all door closed and windows up. Check. Locked or unlocked. Check. Then to push the unlock button and "within 1.5 seconds, press and hold it again." I do that. It beeps and unlocks when I push it the first time. It beeps again when I press and hold. The little red light on the remote continues to blink as long as I hold the button down. But the windows don't move. The moonroof doesn't move.

The manual further states you can do the same thing with the auxiliary key. So after trying and failing with the remote, I remove that key. Insert and turn and hold.... windows go down, moonroof opens up.

Parking lots in Oklahoma can get ridiculously hot during the summer months. I've always used a key on my VW's to lower all the windows from the outside before I get in. I was happy I was going to be able to do this with the Mazda. But I want to be able to do it with the remote and not by withdrawing the key every time!

I've tried this on two different days just in case I was doing something stupid but it has done the same thing both times! What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks,

Gregg

I am not sure if the feature is tied to auto-up/down window feature (seems remote to me), but from your description, it seems to me
that you missed one more unlock.
unlock (the driver side) -> unlock (all other doors/hatch) -> press and hold
Also make sure that your non-driver-side windows are not locked out by the button.
Try again.

OK, I took the advice offered here. Still didn't work. So I noticed that little window at the bottom of this one "similar threads" and this has been asked before. So I read some of those. The common link seemed to be that "you need to press and hold the second time very quickly." I was being taken in by the manual saying "less than 1.5 seconds." So I was giving a slight pause before the second push and hold. I went out and tried it and it worked. I was happy. I got in the vehicle. Then I noticed the passenger side window hadn't gone down. Just the drivers and moonroof.

So I combined that tip with sabre's. I had already tried resetting the windows several times but I did it again. And this time I reset the passenger window using the switch on the passenger door. It takes a lot longer than 1-2 seconds. Each time I did it, I would start to think I had missed it before finally hearing the distant click. Close to ten seconds, I would guess. So I hear the click, I turn off the ignition and get outside to try it again.

Hallelujah! I push the switch twice fast, holding on on the second click. Both front windows go down, the moonroof opens. I'm a happy camper. This is the first time I've felt frustrated with this vehicle so I'm happy to be totally satisfied again!

Thanks everybody!

Gregg

It also works with metal key. Try it.
Instead of pushing button, turn the key.

I put that in my initial post. It did and does work with the key. But it's nowhere near as convenient to push the tab, pull out key, insert key, and turn it, compared to push button twice and hold. And you don't have to be right there at the driver's side door to do it. You could be walking around to the rear to load stuff in there.

Gregg

I picked up the same vehicle with the same package and options on the same day as the OP and also read the owner manual instructions although I haven't yet tried it. But I do have a sidebar question. Did you all receive auxiliary keys with the vehicle? I did not, only got 2 advanced keyless remotes. When I asked the sales rep about getting a 'valet key' he didn't even know the ignition cover came off revealing a key slot. He said he'd lok into it and give me a call, but now that the check has been cashed I haven't heard a word from him. It seems to me I should have received a pair of traditional cut metal keys as well.

No. There is no valet key. You get only two SmartCard/Keys.
For valet purpose, pull out the metal key, and give the rest to the valet boy (or girl).

Well here's the stupid part.....I didn't know there was a metal key inside the smart key! Nobody at the dealership showed me that. The key stalk appears similar to a Ford key but I doubt if a copy could be made in a typical machine because I bet it cannot be secured in the grinder.

The SmartKey system of Mazda is made by Denso, Japan.
I heard that the metal key has to be cut by laser, not the traditional way you duplicate a key for $10.

Actually as discuss in another thread you can have a key made from the smartkey. Cost about a $1.59 at Lowes.

Will do everything but start the engine. Just tried the key cut by Lowes and it also works to open front windows and moonroof.

Tried attaching a pic but the method for attaching.......^&$#$^^!

Last edited:
I want to open front windows and moonroof from my advanced key. But I am unable to do so. I have followed all the tips and advises.

Back