Oils and fluids

db2boy

Going to do a full fluid service soon, what would be recommended oils/fluids for the following:-

Engine - HPR30 ?
Gearbox
Diff - Motorcraft, Red Line ?
Cooling

Thanks

Ant

Ant,

Pip @ WGT uses Shell Helix Mineral Oil,, 15w 40w I believe,, Shell do 2 types in their Helix Range the mineral oil is in yellow containers

Gearbox,, a good quality ATF,, worth thinking about changing the filter as well

Diff,, has to be suitable for a diff with an LSD

Cooling,, now there is a debate we can have,, what about this waterless cooling system,, expensive but the reports I have read could suit us rotary boys down to the ground
can withstand lower freezing Temps, No Corrosion, runs a lower temp on normal operating range,, sounds ideal for a rotary

Your Thoughts or experiences anybody?

Frank

Diff oil (for Torsen LSD) - Nulon SAE 90 LSD Oil.

Oil - if no OMP then go with a good synethetic. If running an OMP then I would recommend HPR40.

Frank - Ah yes the Helix comes in mineral, totally had forgotten about that thanks. I've been watching the Evans coolant stuff for a number of years and still sit on the fence. If I was doing a re-build I might sit down and really read up in detail but I wouldn't swap it out now.

Berty - Thanks for the input too.

Anyone have the part number for the AT filter?

Thanks

Ant

Kawato from TCP Magic carries and recommends either Red Line or SpeedMaster for Engine Oil...I haven't asked yet about tranny, diff, coolant etc.

How often should the diff oil be changed?

good old dextron 3 for the tranny. or if u wanna go all out, drop the pan clean it out and flush through with transmax z (synth)

Dave always recommended Castrol Syntrax R for the Tranny - he recconed that it made it heaps better, but you have to do a major flush job because its not compatible with other Dexron stuff apparently.

AT Filter - Jatco Gearbox RE4R03A gearbox, (RE4R01-3A are interchangeable). Same gearbox in 929 HC/HD model or 300ZX Nissan Patrol

Kramer

i have a question, cause i really dont understand which Oil i can use now...

Can I use the same Engine Oil like in the 13b from the RX8 in the 20b Cosmo engine?
That will be the Liqui Moly Oil 5w30 or 5w40 ? Or ist the 15w40 better?

Then i will use the Top Tec ATF 1200 for Automatic.... is this good?

And than, which Cooler Water i need? I mean, in some cars you need only the red water for cooling and in some the green water? which is for the cosmo?

Than i must change the Engine Oil Filter... have the transmission an Oil filter too? The same like in the Engine Oil Filter? Or looks it different from the "normal" Engine Oil Filter?

Sry for my bad english, i hope you will understand it ^^

From the user manual. which i don't think is online anymore.

20b 13b
Engine oil:
mazda oil. 10w-40 10w-30
litres 6.6 4.4
I use 15w

Transmission oil atf m-iii

the best oil filter is the mazda one, Coolant you mix based on where you live.

From the user manual. which i don't think is online anymore.

20b 13b
Engine oil:
mazda oil. 10w-40 10w-30
litres 6.6 4.4
I use 15w

Transmission oil atf m-iii

the best oil filter is the mazda one, Coolant you mix based on where you live.

well, im very happy that you answered.
Thank you alot :)

Differential takes 1.3L (SAE90 GL-5 specified)
Auto it lists 9.8L for 13B, 11.6L for 20B. As with any auto, the amount you need to flush it depends on how you do it, e.g. just dropping pan will only change ~4L. It specifes Mazda ATF M-III, but Dexron II or higher should work.

Thanks for the info on the capacities was struggling to locate it.

My plan is to have mechanic drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket and o-ring for filter and to switch over to one of the recommended fluids.
Is there a 'correct' way to completely flush the Cosmo box through with new fluid?

I need a little further help. There seems to be different variations of the RE4R03A gearbox filter - some with pick ups, others without etc. Anyone know if the Cosmo uses with or without the pickup and have any pictures of it please?

Thanks

Ant

the filter is the pick up... youl know what i mean when u take it apart. u dont have to replace it. just flush out backwards and put it back in.

its just a pickup assembly with a fine mesh as a filter. if the mesh is still intact, no need to change it.

Rodneoo,
Thanks, I won't be doing this and am trying to get the correct one for the mechanic. I understand the filter is the pickup but there are at least 2 types. One seems to be flat bottom and the other has a rectangle extension 'pickup' from the bottom that must sit in the oil. I was trying to find out which of the 2 the Cosmo uses.

Thanks

Ant

the 2 13bs boxes that i had both had the rectangle extension. no idea about the 20b boxes.
either way i wouldnt be very fussed over it. Perfectly fine to just clean and re-use.

Back