Oil patches on Engine cover - 2022 CX-5

Hello
Just to do some inspection, I opened the bonnet today and saw some oil patches on the engine cover. I checked the entire bay with a flash light and luckily see no oil dripping or leaks.

Total miles on car: 3500
First oil change done at 2500 miles after a 1000 mile long trip.

Any idea, what's going on here?

IMG-0544.jpg

Unfortunately your belief isn‘t fact. The OP already had 1500 miles on the clock when he started the trip. But the recommendation from the owner’s manual below has nothing to do with oil changes. It rather has to do with ring seating since it is during the first few hundred miles that they wear in. Better ring wear is achieved with varied rpm. Apples and oranges at the wrong time. But there is nothing wrong with an early oil change other than spending more money to “feel good”.

”No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.”

Like I said, it's a personal preference of mine to change the oil early. If I had a new car, I would not be taking it on a road trip - again, a preference of mine. But if I was forced to take my car on a road trip using the factory fill, I would change the oil after the trip. I'm not familiar with a lot of other cars, but aside from the 2.5L CX-5, most cars come from the factory with oil that is "good enough". A good example is the 2016+ CX-9, which I'm sure comes with either conventional or a synthetic blend. I changed the oil a little early on my CX-9 because I prefer to use full synthetic. I suppose that is where this preference of an early first oil change comes from. In any event, spending a few dollars of my money is worth my peace of mind.

Maybe you misinterpreted what I originally wrote, because again, I never said an oil change was required, only that if it was my car, I would have changed the oil.

Upvote 0
I though the engine top cover is mainly for cosmetic purpose only, and can keep the engine top clean for obvious reason. It won’t affect engine cooling as it relies on coolant to cool down the engine.

BTW, Toyota doesn’t use a engine top cover for its Dynamic Force 2.0L on my daughter’s Corolla Hatchback XSE and leave all the wirings and components exposed.

Mazda doesn't use a cover for the MX-5 Miata either.

Upvote 0
Old thread but I see some oil seepage under my engine cover on my 21 GTR turbo with 6,896mi, I circled it, btw does anyone knows the part?

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3459.jpeg
    IMG_3459.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
Old thread but I see some oil seepage under my engine cover on my 21 GTR turbo with 6,896mi, I circled it, btw does anyone knows the part?
That’s oil control valve (OCV) or VVT variable valve timing solenoid. This OCV is very prone to leak. But yours should be covered under warranty.

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Have heard gaskets are more leak prone than sealant applied properly.

so I just found oil collecting around the OCV despite me just putting a brand new OEM seal in the valve cover. This is disappointing. Any ideas?

this is after I wiped it off, but there was oil all over the harness plug and around the edge of the seal itself.

View attachment 294956
View attachment 294957

And one more suggestion on OEM parts source for OCV solenoid PE01-14-420A. This eBay seller partsouq is the international automotive parts seller partsouq.com located in Sharjah, north of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Somehow they manage fast shipping to the US and the price is great!

View attachment 295031

View attachment 295032

This eBay seller partsouq has 10737 and 99.6% positive feedbacks with eBay money back guarantee. And some members have tried them and got Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B oil filter in 3 days!

Upvote 0
That’s oil control valve (OCV) or VVT variable valve timing solenoid. This OCV is very prone to leak. But yours should be covered under warranty.

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?
wow fast response once again lol

Man with all these issues with the 2nd gen cx-5's I am worried! Anyways will be bringing in on 2/20/2023 for this and the pop noise from dips/speed bumps. Also keeping eye on oil consumption, coolant lost and hopefully thats it... and takeout the SD card lol

Upvote 0
Im bringing in my cx-5 Monday, anything else like TSB’s I should ask them to check? I already know TSB’s on engine oil consumption and coolant consumption but I dont think I have any of that yet.

Upvote 0
Im bringing in my cx-5 Monday, anything else like TSB’s I should ask them to check? I already know TSB’s on engine oil consumption and coolant consumption but I dont think I have any of that yet.
Update:
Mazda SF advisor a diff one just texted me and said the cylinder cover for over a month lol what happen to texting when it was there lol. Btw a cylinder cover he said but what about the solenoid oil control valve? I’ll double check when I get there. In Wednesday.

Upvote 0
Do you know what this small hose is for? I had the OCV solenoid (valve cover) replaced and see that uninstalled hose.View attachment 321012
Sorry, I really can’t tell. That hose looks like loose at both ends? It also seems never been attached to something before with no clamp marks at both ends?

BTW just saw your related post of the warranty repair in another thread:

2017~2023 Clunk on sharp turns with brand new CX-5

Your VVT solenoid oil control valve (OCV) never did get replaced. My guess is this hose is the vacuum hose PY8V-20-363 listed on the invoice you posted. Somehow the tech requested this hose, but found it’s no use, and forgot to take it away.

E8BD935D-D661-4BDB-815A-6ECFCD47655E.jpeg

A2B25335-EA79-4A26-802B-B9E3A45DAB5E.png

It’s unfortunate the Bay Area Mazda dealer is doing a sloppy job to fix your problem. My daughter living in Berkeley is having the same issue dealing with Toyota dealers in the Bay Area, although her problems were on free Toyota maintenance and broken rear quarter window by a break-in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
isnt it the hose that is visible on one of the previously posted pictures?
top of the valve cover.

View attachment 321093
Oh s*** good catch. They replaced it since new hose has no markings. As far as the ocv they replaced the whole valve cover so should be new. Also found out the exhaust shield was not tightened to valve cover.
Edit
Btw bringing it again on Wed for the knock. Seems faster I go over speed bumps or over a hill louder it gets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh s*** good catch. They replaced it since new hose has no markings.
I don’t believe your dealer replaced the hose in picture as the loose hose doesn’t have any marking and loos brand new. See post #29 above.

As far as the ocv they replaced the whole valve cover so should be new.
Based on the invoice you posted in another thread, your dealer replaced the valve cover gasket, but the VVT solenoid OCV (oil control valve, part no. PE01-14-420A) have never got replaced.

0A8CB44D-0F02-4B37-81CC-1B6F30EFA22A.jpeg

Upvote 0
I don’t believe your dealer replaced the hose in picture as the loose hose doesn’t have any marking and loos brand new. See post #29 above.

Based on the invoice you posted in another thread, your dealer replaced the valve cover gasket, but the VVT solenoid OCV (oil control valve, part no. PE01-14-420A) have never got replaced.

View attachment 321116
Damn part pyy3-10-2b0 is the valve cover only it seems no ocv replacement. Good eye.
Edit
The ocv gasket is assumed to be changed too since it should come with the valve cover?

On my 3rd x complaining that oil was spraying/leaking they replaced:
PY8W-10-235 C00 GASKET, HEAD COVER
&
1 0000-77-1217-ES B00 RTV SILICONE

For the vacuum hose the old one had orange mark but new one has no markings as evident on very first photos it has orange.

Well Wed I will bring it in for 4th x for the knock noise lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Damn part pyy3-10-2b0 is the valve cover only it seems no ocv replacement. Good eye.
Edit
The ocv gasket is assumed to be changed too since it should come with the valve cover?

On my 3rd x complaining that oil was spraying/leaking they replaced:
PY8W-10-235 C00 GASKET, HEAD COVER
&
1 0000-77-1217-ES B00 RTV SILICONE

For the vacuum hose the old one had orange mark but new one has no markings as evident on very first photos it has orange.

Well Wed I will bring it in for 4th x for the knock noise lol
I believe you have a 2.5T. Based on your invoice, the Mazda dealer replaced only the valve cover gasket PY8W-10-235 which doesn’t include the round rubber washer seal PE01-10-2D5 for the VVT solenoid OCV PE01-14-420A.

You didn’t get the full valve cover set PY8W-10-210B which will include the new valve cover and round rubber washer seal PE01-10-2D5. And no you didn’t get a new valve cover either.

21DB8195-7A33-45F3-AD43-0BCE8281B2D4.png

86DE922F-9F80-4D0A-93E2-573011996CE0.jpeg

2B5C1AB6-C2DD-4A2C-97F6-BB45E090CAFD.jpeg

Not sure where is your PYY3-10-2B0 part no. coming from, although it seems to be similar to the full valve cover set PY8W-10-210B mentioned above for the 2.5T.

Finally, when you have the oil leak in VVT solenoid oil control valve area, it usually is from the OCV itself, not the washer seal.

I have heard other users in this repair having found out it was the OCV itself that was leaking. Keeping that in mind, and using the video for instruction I replaced all 3, OCV, OCV gasket, and valve cover gasket. Thanks for the video it was helpful.

Have heard gaskets are more leak prone than sealant applied properly.

so I just found oil collecting around the OCV despite me just putting a brand new OEM seal in the valve cover. This is disappointing. Any ideas?

this is after I wiped it off, but there was oil all over the harness plug and around the edge of the seal itself.

View attachment 294956
View attachment 294957

Upvote 0
I believe you have a 2.5T. Based on your invoice, the Mazda dealer replaced only the valve cover gasket PY8W-10-235 which doesn’t include the round rubber washer seal PE01-10-2D5 for the VVT solenoid OCV PE01-14-420A.

You didn’t get the full valve cover set PY8W-10-210B which will include the new valve cover and round rubber washer seal PE01-10-2D5. And no you didn’t get a new valve cover either.

View attachment 321139
View attachment 321140
View attachment 321141

Not sure where is your PYY3-10-2B0 part no. coming from, although it seems to be similar to the full valve cover set PY8W-10-210B mentioned above for the 2.5T.

Finally, when you have the oil leak in VVT solenoid oil control valve area, it usually is from the OCV itself, not the washer seal.
Well I will keep an eye on the ocv, going in tomorrow for the 4th time on the knock… supposedly a regional tech will try to replicate the noise too as I can clearly hear it going a steady pace over speed humps, going right over hills and going in driveways at an angle. Seems faster I go the louder it gets. Just one knock.

Upvote 0
It's a word game because "seep" is normal and acceptable while "leak" is not. Mazda will define this as seep to avoid liability. You can take them to court if you have deep pockets I guess.
Man who new Consumer Reports is so inaccurate and this was made in Japan!! No more Mazda and no more made in Japan?🤷‍♂️
Esit
Or shall I say made in Japan doesn’t matter too much?

Upvote 0
Back