Oil Pan Replacement

detroitcity

:
02 Mazda Protege5
Has anyone here ever replaced their oil pan?

I tried searching the forum, no hits.

Anyone know about how thick these pans are.. I'm wondering how long I might be able to last without changing it.

Thanks,
cs

Last edited:
Mine has rust as well...from what I understand it's not a difficult operation...unbolt it, thread one or two of the bolts into holes designed to force the pan from the engine, and tighten. The procedure is in the service manual, and I believe replacement stock pans are not that expensive.

Mine seemed incredibly rusty but I brushed it to bare metal and primed/painted with rustoleum. No rust in a year, so I guess I caught it in time. Granted I don't want to see what happens if I dent the pan somehow...

Mine seemed incredibly rusty but I brushed it to bare metal and primed/painted with rustoleum. No rust in a year, so I guess I caught it in time. Granted I don't want to see what happens if I dent the pan somehow...

Did you take the pan off or did you do the work while the pan was on the car?

Doesn't look too difficult to get off the pan, just wondering your thoughts if you did.

I did it on-car - that was the object, simple fix.. If I was to have removed it I'd probably replaced it. Actually the rust was a little thinner towards the gasket. I failed to wheel off all the rust up there - harder to get it all, but the rustoleum seems to have sealed it OK since I'm not seeing any re-flaking. If needed I could reclean and re-paint, but it looks real good as is. I did realize when I was wheeling off the rust that there was a slight chance that it could have sprung a leak right then, but it wasn't that far gone.

unless you can poke a screwdriver through it - it would take along time to rust through.

Mine rusted through couple years ago, noticed oil slowly dripping from bottom. The way its angled at the front makes it great collector of road dirt and salt.

It is a pretty easy DIY job, the only hard part is paying for a new oil pan.

i just did mine a few months ago. It's a fairly straight forward job. If you haven't download the service manual yet i would. It will tell you what you need to do and everything you will need to pick up for the job.

I just rubbed grease all over mine to inhibit further rust growth. Grease is very hard to wash off without detergent, so this should last quite a while.
Easier than sanding and painting.

I just rubbed grease all over mine to inhibit further rust growth. Grease is very hard to wash off without detergent, so this should last quite a while.
Easier than sanding and painting.

Of course, now you're gonna pick up all manner of sand and road debris with that grease, so hopefully it doesn't end up accelerating the rust...

Yea, the removal is fairly simple... as long as you can get the gasket to release. I have done mine 3 times now and the last time was on jackstands in my uncles garage the day before Christmas. I hit a bit of snow in the road way that must have had something metal in it, because it cut a 1" long gash in my oilpan!!! Just take your time and dont get too pi$$ed off at the gasket if it doesnt come off right away.

Latest posts

Back