Oil on sale at Walmart

Man, my Walmart had probably 50% empty shelves for oil a couple days ago.

Yep, I went to the Dallas Super Walmart store nearby few days ago checking out the Castrol oils, and found nothing left for 0W-20! And only few oils available on the shelf for every brand. Checked inventory at Walmart.com and found San Jose Walmart stores seem to have those in stock as we’re going to visit kids there this week. So the supply chain issue isn’t just for import goods, as these Castrol oils are made in the USA.

Did get 2 5-quart jugs of Castrol Edge 0W-20 at San Jose Walmart yesterday for $21.97 per jug after scanned at the checkout but the price tag on the shelf still says $24.47. The price tag on Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20 says $27.47 but I imagine the actual scanned price should match $24.67 online price. They just haven’t done the “rollback” on shelf price tags.

Decided getting Castrol Edge with black container instead of Castrol Edge “Extended Performance” with gold container not just because to save a couple of bucks, but because I really don’t see I need these features, “Extended Drain”、“20,000 Miles between Oil Changes”, on my Yaris.

Last edited:
Yep, I went to the Dallas Super Walmart store nearby few days ago checking out the Castrol oils, and found nothing left for 0W-20! And only few oils available on the shelf for every brand. Checked inventory at Walmart.com and found San Jose Walmart stores seem to have those in stock as we’re going to visit kids there this week. So the supply chain issue isn’t just for import goods, as these Castrol oils are made in the USA.

Did get 2 gallons of Castrol Edge 0W-20 at San Jose Walmart yesterday for $21.97 per gallon after scanned at the checkout but the price tag on the shelf still says $24.47. The price tag on Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20 says $27.47 but I imagine the actual scanned price should match $24.67 online price. They just haven’t done the “rollback” on shelf price tags.

Decided getting Castrol Edge with black container instead of Castrol Edge “Extended Performance” with gold container not just because to save a couple of bucks, but because I really don’t see I need these features, “Extended Drain”、“20,000 Miles between Oil Changes”, on my Yaris.

Did anyone ever compare UoA tests for Mazda Idemitsu vs Castrol Edge Black vs. Castrol Edge Gold to see how they differ in Moly, titanium and other additives ???

Just did oil change with Castrol Black(before the Walmart sale)...which seems ok per manual.

But am wondering if the Idemitsu has more moly.

Supposedly the dealerships now use(or had used in past) big drums of Castrol professional( because it's alot cheaper than Idemitsu and allowed by Mazda corporate) which the drums may be similar to the Castrol Edge Gold on the Walmart shelves.

So then ..is it ok to use the Castrol Edge Black or should we be using just Castrol Edge Gold or Mazda Idemitsu?

It seems as long as use Castrol oil then the warranty remains intact. Or could they possibly deny a warranty claim?

I never had to worry about this with my ford engines but seeing all the engine problems on this Mazda forum has me wanting to avoid any warranty problems down the road.

Castrol is specifically called for in every Mazda owners manual I've ever seen.

But really, so long as it's SN+ or whatever the latest spec is, and so long as you use a quality filter like the OEM filter, Purolator, or Wix, and you change it regularly, you're going to be fine.

Did anyone ever compare UoA tests for Mazda Idemitsu vs Castrol Edge Black vs. Castrol Edge Gold to see how they differ in Moly, titanium and other additives ???

Just did oil change with Castrol Black(before the Walmart sale)...which seems ok per manual.

Supposedly the dealerships now use(or had used in past) big drums of Castrol professional( because it's alot cheaper than Idemitsu and allowed by Mazda corporate) which the drums may be similar to the Castrol Edge Gold on the Walmart shelves.

So then ..is it ok to use the Castrol Edge Black or should we be using just Castrol Edge Gold or Mazda Idemitsu?

It seems as long as use Castrol oil then the warranty remains intact. Or could they possibly deny a warranty claim?

I never had to worry about this with my ford engines but seeing all the engine problems on this Mazda forum has me wanting to avoid any warranty problems down the road.
At least in US, you can use any 0W-20 GF-5 or above oils and good oil filters you want, with oil change record and purchasing receipts with no negligent of changing oil, car manufactures can’t deny any oil related warranty claims.

But I’d stay with any name brand full synthetic oils with newer SP / GF-6 specs and not to worry the moly content, except the first oil change if I change the oil early. I refuse to use those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters simply because they definitely can’t meet the factory specs.

The 2.5 NA is a pretty reliable engine. You have a GT right? Models with CD were subject to a recall, but aside from that, there were no major issues at all. The 2.5T has a TSB for a coolant leak in some 2016-2020 models, but aside from that it's also been a pretty reliable engine.

There is a Skyactiv Oil Analysis thread in this subforum that you can browse, I'm sure UoAs with all of the oils mentioned have been posted at one point or another.

I would also stick with OEM filters. It has been mentioned before that the actual spec of the OEM filters used is not published, and there is no "certification" for filters to prove that an aftermarket filter works as well as the OEM one. If warranty is top of mind, use OEM filters to eliminate that as a possible reason for them to deny warranty.

The most important thing is to change the oil regularly. I used Castrol gold for my first oil change because I bought into the advertisement saying "10X Better High Temperature performance and 6X Better Wear Protection". But who really knows what that means, they can manipulate the numbers by testing against chainsaw bar oil for all I know. But then after that I always used the gold bottle to be consistent. I see they lowered the price again to $23.35, I will try to get another bottle.
Post note: The black bottle says the same thing. "10X Better High Temperature performance and 6X Better Wear Protection".

Note about the sale price of $23.35. I drove to the store who had it, but they wouldn't honor the sale price. I had to order it online to get it for $23.35.

Last edited:
Castrol is specifically called for in every Mazda owners manual I've ever seen.

But really, so long as it's SN+ or whatever the latest spec is, and so long as you use a quality filter like the OEM filter, Purolator, or Wix, and you change it regularly, you're going to be fine.
That mention in the manual was purely a marketing deal between Mazda and Castrol and has been removed in newer manuals. The manual says that any 0W-20 oil that is ILSAC rated (0W-20 didn't exist before the SN rating) or 5W-30 that is SM rated or newer, and of the correct viscosity is allowable

The 2.5 NA is a pretty reliable engine. You have a GT right? Models with CD were subject to a recall, but aside from that, there were no major issues at all.
I have to say other than a rocker arm fallen recall on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, there’re plenty of TSBs keep coming out by Mazda to fix CD related problems mainly on switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) used exclusively on CD engine. There’s a Service Alert created for a new part number only for easy replacement on cylinder head with every valve components pre-installed. I would only say the 2.5L without cylinder deactivation is a pretty reliable engine.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

TSB No.: 01-006/20 Last Issued: 11/04/2020 - TAPPING NOISE FROM ENGINE

Service Alert No.: SA-031/21 NEW CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY ESTABLISHED

TSB No.: 05-002/20 SURGING AT LOW SPEEDS AND DURING ACCELERATION

I have to say other than a rocker arm fallen recall on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, there’re plenty of TSBs keep coming out by Mazda to fix CD related problems mainly on switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) used exclusively on CD engine. There’s a Service Alert created for a new part number only for easy replacement on cylinder head with every valve components pre-installed. I would only say the 2.5L without cylinder deactivation is a pretty reliable engine.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

TSB No.: 01-006/20 Last Issued: 11/04/2020 - TAPPING NOISE FROM ENGINE

Service Alert No.: SA-031/21 NEW CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY ESTABLISHED

TSB No.: 05-002/20 SURGING AT LOW SPEEDS AND DURING ACCELERATION

Ah I forgot about that one.

WalMart has Castrol Edge oils on sale right now, and Castrol has $20 gift card when you buy 10 quarts.

Unfortunately it isn’t $21.97 like in Nov. 2021, but is $25.98 ($5.24 off) for Castrol EDGE Advanced Full Synthetic oils. Inflation! 🤬

D89D6D19-26A0-4CAC-87BF-86432F483B97.jpeg

Back