Oil loss, possible burning oil.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
I seem to be losing oil. As I've noticed my exhaust at times looks smokey (usually seen from my rear view window as I accelerate) I think perhaps the car is burning oil. Last time I had oil changed they mechanic said he didn't see any leaks. I see on the internet it's recommended checking the PCV valve and a cheap easy fix. Just looking for input on what to do next, what I should be looking at. I'm hoping not to spend a lot of money having a full inspection done at the auto mechanic, though it may turn out I have to. Engine has 200K on it.

Oh and can I check the PCV vlave myself, any caution or concerns in doing that? I think a replacement is like $5-$10.

I seem to be losing oil. As I've noticed my exhaust at times looks smokey (usually seen from my rear view window as I accelerate) I think perhaps the car is burning oil. Last time I had oil changed they mechanic said he didn't see any leaks. I see on the internet it's recommended checking the PCV valve and a cheap easy fix. Just looking for input on what to do next, what I should be looking at. I'm hoping not to spend a lot of money having a full inspection done at the auto mechanic, though it may turn out I have to. Engine has 200K on it.

Oh and can I check the PCV vlave myself, any caution or concerns in doing that? I think a replacement is like $5-$10.

You can check and replace the PCV valve, however I hate to say it, but you are most likely looking at stuck piston rings. Very common high mileage issue on these motors. There are many threads here on the issue, and on the internet.

Hopefully others here will chime in with other ideas...

Try putting seafoam in the oil, I believe it*s one tablespoon per quart. Buy two cans and put some in your gas, oil and brake booster line. Some people like to put it in the brake booster and let it sit overnight.
Maybe that will help clean out any gunk built up from over the years and or cheap oils used.

This guy managed to fix his oil burning...

I was also burning a quart or so per month...dealer had no idea (compression was fine and all the plugs looked normal) and a 2nd mechanic had no idea except he said there is a lot of gunk in there.

So, I ran an engine flush detergent (liquimoly) in a warm engine at idle for 15 mins before changing the oil. Smoke in startup was down about 90%. And I had serious spy vs spy smokescreen before...I could fog half the neighborhood. 2 weeks later I did it again....smoke is gone and that was 3 weeks ago.

Thanks. There are no leaks, PCV valve is good. A mechanic said he saw some oil around a sensor that was wearing out. I forget the name of the sensor, oil pressure sensor I think. The engine has a large degree of what I was told "blowback" so it was suggested it was an internal engine problem (warn piston rings etc.) that would cost more than the price of my car to fix, even to replace the engine. I'll look into Sea foam.

You can get a JDM used motor from importer for about $500 with all accessories. Takes about an hr to swap em with air tools, At least here in Cali where theres no road rust. The Japanese dump their cars @ 50,000 because of strict inspection.

Back