Oil Change...

i see what you mean, Fram does suck balls. they probly use the cheapest material to save some money. next oil change im using something different. do you know if the OEM filter uses cardboard?

Silver Nitrate said:
i see what you mean, Fram does suck balls. they probly use the cheapest material to save some money. next oil change im using something different. do you know if the OEM filter uses cardboard?

Our OEM is one of the better ones out there.

I use Pennzoil 10W30 Synthetic with an OEM filter form the 626. It's just taller than the regular filter but same diameter.

Silver Nitrate said:
i dont see why it wouldnt be good to use synthetic, but i do know that once you go synthetic you cant go back to regular no matter what car.
This is totally untrue. You can go back to regular oil after you have switched to synthetic. I have asked this question to many mechanics and tuners and they all say the same thing. No problem switching. I have no idea how this urban myth has started.

when you get ur oem filter do you just go to mazda and say "i need a filter b****?"

no no no, u say, i need my filter NOW b****

u gotta make them respect your authoritha

Fram and Valvoline all the way for me. Been using it for years and years and the combination has treated me well.

For those that always bash fram (i.e. the internet readers), WHY do you automatically assume metal end caps are better than cardboard? Metal simply is not necessary. Cardboard is nice and safe too - if any flakes off and somehow gets in your engine it'll do a lot less damage than a flake of metal. Now I'm not saying that fram is the best filter ever made...but just think about what you read on the internet and put more weight on "real world" experiences rather than some Joe Garage tearing apart a filter and proclaiming 1 to be better than the other simply because it looks "sturdy" or whatever.

Ok, that aside, how about less surface area of filter media? How about a low pressure drop across the filter showing that is goes into bypass (skipping the filtering all together) more often than others.

girth said:
Fram and Valvoline all the way for me. Been using it for years and years and the combination has treated me well.

For those that always bash fram (i.e. the internet readers), WHY do you automatically assume metal end caps are better than cardboard? Metal simply is not necessary. Cardboard is nice and safe too - if any flakes off and somehow gets in your engine it'll do a lot less damage than a flake of metal. Now I'm not saying that fram is the best filter ever made...but just think about what you read on the internet and put more weight on "real world" experiences rather than some Joe Garage tearing apart a filter and proclaiming 1 to be better than the other simply because it looks "sturdy" or whatever.

Back