Oil Change and 65mm 14 flute wrench

After having the Stealership bend me over to the tune of $96.00 for a synthetic oil and filter change, I said, “Enough!” I’m coming back outta retirement and do it myself.

Spent the better part of the day breaking down the engine longevity as it is related to oil filter micron filtrations over the years. I found the Purolator One, PL14612. “High density filter media” it says on box. Surprisingly, it filters down impurities greater than 5 microns. Most others were 20, 21, and up. Imagine my surprise when I held the new filter in my hand at the auto parts store. Tiny? The counter guys checked it twice. Said it was the correct one. When compared with other filters I’ve used in the past, this little guy better do the job. Imagine my surprise when I then discovered I needed ANOTHER filter wrench to add to my collection of retired wrenches. And it was “only” 65mm x 14 flutes. What’s this filter gonna be when it grows up?

So, maybe this weekend, it’s oil/filter change. Not trying to sound like a pompous a$$ but, I think I can do as good as, or a better job than the guys at the dealership. Besides, I’m in no rush or under the gun to hurry and finish.

I’ll just pay myself on the back,, say, “Job well done,” and call it a great day. {{{I STILL can not get over how tiny this oil filter is. Oh, well. 🤷🏼‍♂️}}}

I buy OEM filters by the 6 pack. Like that, they actually come out cheaper than aftermarket filters like your Purolator.

I don’t mind the difference in cost. I was going for the micron filtering. After this oil change, I guess I can send a sample off to Blackstone for analysis.

Back