OH NO!!! engine blown!

IM a really paranoid person cuz I really can't afford a blown motor so not to make it all about me me me but is it safe for me to be at 10 psi on 91 octane with fmic, 3 inch exhaust intake, colder plugs....

No, it spikes at 12psi...when I'm in 5th gear usually it stays around 10psi

I wouldn't do it, untill you upgrade internals. Our engine's are weak, think about it they are same as the protege. They are not made to race.

StreakinOraNgeX said:
IM a really paranoid person cuz I really can't afford a blown motor so not to make it all about me me me but is it safe for me to be at 10 psi on 91 octane with fmic, 3 inch exhaust intake, colder plugs....

I don't think 15 psi even with good management is a good idea. My MP3 motor popped at 10 psi with no other issues or anything present, was running rich and then pop! It had seen as high as 16 psi or so previously... and I think that is what did it in. All forged for me!

Isn't it more important to have the exhaust side (DP and catback) opened up when you run higher boost, and not so much the intake side (FMIC and Intake)? That is my impression, that the stock DP will cause more backpressure than the engine can hold at higher boost?

Bhamsan said:
Isn't it more important to have the exhaust side (DP and catback) opened up when you run higher boost, and not so much the intake side (FMIC and Intake)? That is my impression, that the stock DP will cause more backpressure than the engine can hold at higher boost?
Yes

Well, I have raced the car at 16psi, I run 12-13 daily, and I know that a few others do too. I have had no problems with the motor at this psi, and I have been running higher boost since 6k miles, I am almost at 21k now. Also, Yashooa has been running 12psi for quite some time. So to say it is not safe to run that high is not true. It all depends on the situation and how you drive the car. I beat the s*** out of my car, I won't lie, But I don't boost high in 4th or 5th gear. And If I can help it I won't boost at all in those 2 gears. Boosting that high in 5th gear puts a biiiig load on the engine.

Chris

Bhamsan said:
Just remove the cat and the backpressure issue is lessened!

hello2000 said:
Yeah as you can see my engine blew last night. I was driving on I40 at about 70mph in 5th gear. I noticed a sound like something was draging the ground. All of a sudden, The engine blew and smoke came out the back. I pulled over on the shoulder and seen that oil was every where. There is a big whole in the side of my engine. I towed it to mazda to see what the cost is and they estimated about $5100 to fix it. I am trying to find someone local that can do it for cheaper. I was figuring if the price for new internals was close to aftermarket, I would get aftermarket ones instead. I have a short video clip of the incident.
http://www.smoothnetdesign.com/engineblow(high).mpg - High Bandwidth
http://www.smoothnetdesign.com/engineblow(low).mpg - Low Bandwidth

I dont think anyone has even mentioned the fact .... WHY WERE YOU VIDEOTAPING DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD !!!! ... HAHA

celdridge said:
I dont think anyone has even mentioned the fact .... WHY WERE YOU VIDEOTAPING DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD !!!! ... HAHA
he did say he was gonna tape him racing some locals.

-Alan

Vassago said:
Well, this has convinced me, I,m gonna take off my MBC and put it on my SR20 instead. Not worth the risk.
why not just keep it below 10psi?

StreakinOraNgeX said:
Daym you had a fmic with 93 octane and blew you engine at 12..**** now Im scared to be boostin 10 psi with fmic and full exhaust.
(werd)
I'm back down to 10psi, but for a while I was running 11, with DP-back exhaust on 91 octane. 47,000 miles on the odometer and she's still running strong. **knock on wood**

Back