Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Finally after waiting over 2 months for a new turbo to arrive, My 06MS6 will be in the dealer on Tuesday for a brand new turbo. Anyone else have insane wait times for a new turbo? The dealer said their were back orders from Japan as a result of the big earthquake/tsunami that happened.

So what should i look for after the replacement? I would want to verify that i got the correct updated turbo version right? I there anything else i need to check over when i get my car back? Is there a break in period i have to worry about?

I posted recently on the smoking turbo question; it's the post just before yours.

Last week the dealer installed the ventilation kit fix and admitted that one Speed3 on which they made this fix continued to smoke and they had to replace the turbo.

I will post back here if the smoking recurs following the installation of the ventilation kit.

Carl.

My whole turbo got replaced back in the day and the new one started smoking a few months later. Resolution = gt35r. plzktnx. :D

i dont know what happened. Some folks have had very bad experiences with their Speeds. i feel bad especially when the dealership is little help or worse.
I have beat my car senseless for almost 70,000. about 300 to go i guess. i was running 1/4 mile Leicester second month. So now she smokes a little bit of oil (original turbo) it spits chunks of fuel out the exhaust under throttle. it goes faster than legal too much. mine is a February 2007 build date, i was able to get the fuel pump replaced and the reflash maybe 2008 under warranty bulletin. after exhaust and intercooler and CAI mods, etc.
the car has been amazing. I had the rear sway link loosening, clunk. loctite fixed that. i had the dash noise when cold, but i dont drive winters. i broke a CV recently. drivers side while launching.
I really have not had any problems with my car that i did not cause. Still cannot figure why i have not thrown rod yet. still at 21lbs street tuned. kinda.

Last edited:
Called about my turbo, today so appearantly they got it the turbo warentey changed to 140000km 7 years and providing i got my oil change reciepts and the car is smoking then i should have no trouble getting it replaced!! Got a appointment next friday. I'm sure they gonna come up with some bs excuse saying i used the wrong oil or some crap lol

Finally got approval to get mine replaced. They weren't fussy on doing it because i was missing one oil change receipt, my very first one. Hopefully i gets longer then 40000km out of the next one.

Hope all goes well with replacement and your boost is all it can be! I suppose you are proof that smoking turbos are not caused by living in high temperature latitudes like fla, ga, miss, and ark. or is it longitudes? Well you are north of me for sure. Do you drive year around?

I wonder if it takes longer for the smoking to happen in colder climates, it took 3 years and aproximately 65000km for the smoke to show up on my car. A lot of you guys down south seem to have the smoking issue almost right away after few miles.

i called my dealer as well as brought it in they asked me for a bulletin notice number? they said unless i had that they couldnt replace anything and also that either way i would have to pay to have my turbo replaced . the man who helped me (some dick named Pat) said hes never heard of this problem only smoking problems hes heard of are from blown turbos and they are 1200 to replace.

What should i do about this any suggestions?

i called my dealer as well as brought it in they asked me for a bulletin notice number? they said unless i had that they couldnt replace anything and also that either way i would have to pay to have my turbo replaced . the man who helped me (some dick named Pat) said hes never heard of this problem only smoking problems hes heard of are from blown turbos and they are 1200 to replace.

What should i do about this any suggestions?

Try Bulletin No 01-004/10, that is the service bulletin that outlines the troubleshooting procedure for US cars, could attach it if i could figure out how In this version it states that the turbo can be replaced under both the comprehensive and power train warranty. This version is over a year old so i don't know what revisions they have made to it since, but you should be able to quote the Bulletin number and your dealer should be able to find it. Besides, it is the DEALERS job to find the bulletins for your car NOT yours, what a pile of s***.

The extended warranty program was issued by Mazda Canada and i have no idea if it was released in the US or not. The Special Service Program offered in Canada is SSP84 Warranty Extension Program

Last edited:
wow that is a load of poo! My service guy put extra effort in for me to give me the new Fuel pump/ and a reflash as per the bulletin for pre 2/07 builds. He did all the legwork for me.
Do you have another service writer you can talk too? Or another dealership?
Also what is the warranty on the replacement? The price is not bad really for parts and labor. good luck and keep us posted
Ps my car was noticably modded at the time also.

Talked to another dealership today they were a little more helpful only thing is its about an hour away from where i currently live. They told me to come down that theyd look at my vehicle and we could work from there because without seeing it they cant figure the problem (understandable). I also went to call the previous dealer to speak to them about my vehicle again and give them the bulletin number Funkytuqe posted(thank you by the way) and he said he couldnt find it at all. i also found a bulletin number from someone else on a different forum from a google search and he said that one was non existant as well. I am starting to think this guys just a Dick and doesnt want to be bothered and he really isnt interested in helping me. Planning on hopefully making the drive to the further location when i get more time on my hands and an entire day off work.

ERICRAPP- just to answer your question about the service employess all answer to this so called "Pat" so im kinda in a bind with this guy being the one who calls shots....... This guy must honestly be the Smokey turbo nazi

Well I sure hope you have better luck with the Other fellow.
Have you searched this whole thread for bulletin #s? I cannot recall but it seems someone scanned the bulletin and posted up.
I am sorry you are having a bit of a battle. Some of the reports are great service and some are very dissapointing.
Definitely worthwhile to take the trip. They might want your business. GL

The TSB is posted in POST# 443. check it out. ut like i said, its one year old. Back in November my dealer was able to find it, don't know about it now though. Mazda has deleated TSB's in the past....

Brought my car in last week to dealer after noticing smoke pouring out the tailpipe.. Dealer diagnosed the issue as a turbo issue and said they'd contact Mazda Canada for authorization to replace under warranty.. They wanted all my oil change receipts to prove my maintenance (which was all performed at the same dealer, so it was easy to provide these).. A few days later they said Mazda canada wanted them to run a few more tests before replacing the turbo.. I got a call this morning from the dealer saying that there appeared to be issues in the engine with the cylinders and block and that Mazda Canada denied the turbo replacement and that my car needs an engine replacement. They want $7500 to do this! I'm like WTF!? Now I don't know how to proceed... I'm sure this is all bull and I told them not to do anything and I'll pick my car up.. Anyone else have issues with getting mazda canada to replace their turbos under the extended 84 month warranty??

What will happen if I continue to drive with the smoking turbo?

soooo are you within the 5yr/60k warranty period? demand a copy of the report and have them explain why you need a new engine

Yah that sounds like bull to me. Had mine replaced last year on the warranty extension program with no problems.
As meantioned, get the report and ask how they know there is internal engine failure. compression test? leak down test? those are the only two i can think of that could tell you there is an engine problem other than ripping it appart. I assume you get smoke at idle only? If you get smoke at other engine speeds and under load then your engine could be screwed.

Back