Official P5 wheel thread.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to put some new wheels on my 02 Pro5

four 16x8 OZ wheels
>5x114.3 lug pattern
>40 offset
Tires: 245-50

Will this setup work? What is the basic rule about offset?

Does a smaller offset mean that the wheels sit more inward?

I need some basic advice, cuz I need some new wheels badly.

Thanks

Also how do you think they will look?

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 334
i think 16x8 will be too big, especially at +40 offset.

from what i know (some may beg to differ) +45 is the lowest you should go for offset. and 8'' wide might be too wide.

if you already have them though, which it looks like, doesnt hurt to try.

if not, i would doubt they would work without a lot of work.

The limit without rolling the rear fenders, as far as my personal experience, on a 16x7 wheel is +42, and that had some decent rubbing already. Plugging that into THIS tool, a 16x8 +40 would stick out another 15 mm, which would likely require a SERIOUS fender pull to clear, not just a roll. And with 245s, you have exactly zero chance without doing some serious fender modification.

Gracias gentlemen,

I was just wondering if it was even worth going to look at these wheels (someone had them for sale on craigslist).

I've since taught myself more than I ever wanted to know about wheels and offsets.

Picking up some stock wheels in Toronto this weekend.

I am looking to pickup a P5 tomorrow, maybe. Its for courier work so I won't sink alot of money into it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to look nice as I plan on keeping it for quite awhile.

Looks like most of the wheels available have high offsets. I want some lip!

S_4335.jpg

Or maybe a JDM look

S_1275.jpg

^^^ Imola, i think if you drop it a bit, and or get some thinner tires it'll look alot better of course.
but the thinner tires is a must, it'll make those 17"s look alot bigger and stand out more than those thick tires, but other than that i love it.
was bout to get those but i got the 03.5 MSP harts for 350 w/tires in AMAZING condition :D

^ nice!

My OEM's were "chrome" and flaking bad, plus the 16" tires were BALD from bad bearing and alignment issues...

I picked these up with WAY over 50% tread for $250. Way cheaper than 4 new 16" tires.

This is my daily beater, I did have some MSP springs on it at one point, but they only lowered the front .5," the back was dumped at 1", the reverse rake was not attractive. I'm digging the nose-bleeds actually, I can run over stuff. I'll save the suspension mods for the bimmer...

I bought new wheels and I'm bringing this thread back to life!
Akita AK-6
17x7 +40
205/40-17 Yokohamas
Fenders rolled, but still very slight rubbing.

Attachments

• forum6.JPG
    forum6.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 399
  • forum7.JPG
    forum7.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 245
  • forum8.JPG
    forum8.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 232
  • forum9.JPG
    forum9.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 214
  • forum10.JPG
    forum10.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 215
I bought new wheels and I'm bringing this thread back to life!
Akita AK-6
17x7 +40
205/40-17 Yokohamas
Fenders rolled, but still very slight rubbing.

Looks good but I don't envy you cleaning them.

17" Mazda3's 215/45/17 Nexen N5000s

Any issues with the 215's? Last year when I was looking into those same wheels I was worried about stretching the 215 on a 6.5" wheel.

nope, no issues whatsoever, I didnt have any problems mouting them and no issues driving on them either.

Volk GT-P
17x7 +44
BC Racing coilovers
BFG G-Force Sport 215/40/17

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Usually I dislike 18's on proteges but yours looks awesome. I am sure it rubs like crazy haha.

Back