OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

Got my Scorpions today. The back tire is slightly budging in the back.. Is this normal?

tire4.jpg
tire3.jpg
tire2.jpg

Hard to see anything in your pic. Looks like a normal tire. Can you circle where you think there is an issue?
Agreed. The tires look a bit shadowy on the right side, a little shinier on the left, which might create an an optical illusion to the naked eye. Also the camera angles appear slightly offset to the right. In direct light with the wheels squared up viewed straight on may be the cure to this problem.

Or how about roll the car a foot and see what they look like? If they still look bulgy it's the viewer not the viewed.

Agreed. The tires look a bit shadowy on the right side, a little shinier on the left, which might create an an optical illusion to the naked eye. Also the camera angles appear slightly offset to the right. In direct light with the wheels squared up viewed straight on may be the cure to this problem.

Or how about roll the car a foot and see what they look like? If they still look bulgy it's the viewer not the viewed.
Yep. Tire looks normal.

The sidewall bulge look could be caused by too little air pressure... Did OP see if all 4 have same pressure?

Only other reason for sidewall bulge look would be if tires may have been stored improperly...may cause flat spot on bottom of tire as well as some bulge. Tires should be fine.

* This is different from a small bulge in one area of the sidewall which is tire damage that needs fixed or whole tire replaced.

Yep. Tire looks normal.

The sidewall bulge look could be caused by too little air pressure... Did OP see if all 4 have same pressure?

Only other reason for sidewall bulge look would be if tires may have been stored improperly...may cause flat spot on bottom of tire as well as some bulge. Tires should be fine.

* This is different from a small bulge in one area of the sidewall which is tire damage that needs fixed or whole tire replaced.
Thanks guys. Yes, it drives totally normal . Really liking the tires. Thanks for the recommendation. Also having the unlimited rotation is great too.

looks like i jumped the gun (bought tires too early):cry:
I belong to Costco and priced those Michelin Defender 2 tires. They would cost just over $150 more than what the Pirelli's cost. The price of the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra on sale at Costco is what originally had me looking elsewhere when I stumbled onto the Pirelli deal at Walmart. I wasn't looking for Michelins anyway and am more than happy with what I got for the price.

I belong to Costco and priced those Michelin Defender 2 tires. They would cost just over $150 more than what the Pirelli's cost. The price of the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra on sale at Costco is what originally had me looking elsewhere when I stumbled onto the Pirelli deal at Walmart. I wasn't looking for Michelins anyway and am more than happy with what I got for the price.
If you watch the pricing at Walmart their tires may vary as much as $20 at tire from day to day.

Report: I got the Pirelli's installed Monday (4 days ago) and the more I drive the more I love them. They are so smooth and quiet, I actually look for road irregularities to aim for, to enjoy how well they soak up the bumps! I haven't been able to drive a windy road fast yet, but today I did have to do an emergency stop and the car came to a halt far sooner than I expected with no ABS pulsing or squeal. I'm so happy with these and so glad I got them. Thank you @Jmaz for pointing to the Wallymart deal!

FYI, the car is now exactly 3 years old with 33K miles on the old Toyos. The fronts were down to the wear bars, the rears better, but not worth keeping.

Report: I got the Pirelli's installed Monday (4 days ago) and the more I drive the more I love them. They are so smooth and quiet, I actually look for road irregularities to aim for, to enjoy how well they soak up the bumps! I haven't been able to drive a windy road fast yet, but today I did have to do an emergency stop and the car came to a halt far sooner than I expected with no ABS pulsing or squeal. I'm so happy with these and so glad I got them. Thank you @Jmaz for pointing to the Wallymart deal!

FYI, the car is now exactly 3 years old with 33K miles on the old Toyos. The fronts were down to the wear bars, the rears better, but not worth keeping.
You are welcome. That's the great thing about this board where we can help each other. I've certainly benefited from the postings of other members.
I haven't had occasion to do an emergency stop yet so your experience is encouraging. Pirelli's now have about 250 miles on them and are great.

If you watch the pricing at Walmart their tires may vary as much as $20 at tire from day to day.
Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Reminds me of what Amazon does (or did). Luckily the price of the Pirelli's didn't increase before buying them.

You are welcome. That's the great thing about this board where we can help each other. I've certainly benefited from the postings of other members.
I haven't had occasion to do an emergency stop yet so your experience is encouraging. Pirelli's now have about 250 miles on them and are great.
Agreed. Loving the ride as well. These are great tires.

I lucked into a one day sale on my new Pirelli AS+3's at COSTCO....saved 25% off a set of 4, BUT, I got mine in Canada and I hear that COSTCO in the U.S. doesn't carry Pirelli's.

There seem to be quite a few tire promotions at the moment. I always find it interesting consumer product promotions pop up during periods of peak demand--tires ahead of winter driving, TVs before the Super Bowl, Black Friday events ahead of Christmas that seem to go on for a week or more now.

I guess it started with some sellers wanting to pile up the top line revenue numbers and hoping to make up for the discounts on volume. Now many follow along to keep up with the competition so their revenues are not severely impacted.

I lucked into a one day sale on my new Pirelli AS+3's at COSTCO....saved 25% off a set of 4, BUT, I got mine in Canada and I hear that COSTCO in the U.S. doesn't carry Pirelli's.
Nope, no Pirelli's at my U.S. Costco. They show Michelin, Bridgestone, B.F.Goodrich and mention Firestone. The only thing offered in my size that was interesting to me was the new Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra and they would have cost about $120 more than the Pirelli's. It appears they do a great business selling Michelins.

I just checked my local Sams's Club. The carry the Pirellis, though out of stock. But they're charging $154 each (that's after their $80 off 4 sale), so not a deal. :sick:

I just checked my local Sams's Club. The carry the Pirellis, though out of stock. But they're charging $154 each (that's after their $80 off 4 sale), so not a deal. :sick:
The Walmart price was unbeatable in my book. I checked Tirerack's price while reading their reviews of the tire. Their price was $181 each. Saw them elsewhere for less at about$166 so we definitely did well.

The Walmart price was unbeatable in my book. I checked Tirerack's price while reading their reviews of the tire. Their price was $181 each. Saw them elsewhere for less at about$166 so we definitely did well.
Sometimes some of the locals that sell different brands including pirellis have better/equal deals than walmart. Around here at least. Check out your locals too.

Back