Occasional starting problem on new CX-9 2012

rickmillertx

:
Mazda CX9 Grand Touring 2012
I have 2200 miles on my car now and the only thing that keeps bothering me is an occasional starting problem. The scenario is as follows: car is warm (not first start of the day) I turn the key to start and the starter engages and starts cranking but the engine does not respond. I stop after about 2 seconds and wait for about one second. The second time I start the cranking process the car starts. This is happening about once a week of daily driving.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any ideas?

When I take it to the dealer for the 5k service I'll bring it up with them.

Thanks

I never had any starting problem.
As a matter of fact, I don't recall needing to start it twice (as it should be).
Check the list of TSB applicable to 2012.
It is better to get things like this addressed ASAP. Usually they get worse over time.

I am guessing bad contact somewhere along the coil electric system.
After some "shaking" from the 1st try, the 2nd try succeeds. It is often a sign of bad contact.

I never had any starting problem.
As a matter of fact, I don't recall needing to start it twice (as it should be).
Check the list of TSB applicable to 2012.
It is better to get things like this addressed ASAP. Usually they get worse over time.

Thanks guys. Where do I find the TSB for this model? TSB ? Service Bulletin

leaky injector? Maybe the engine is getting flooded. cranking it clears it out enough first time, then it fires the second. Any black smoke from exhaust when it finally starts?

It's probably a battery or electrical issue. I had it a couple times too. Usually cold start.

Do you guys drive the car every day or does it sit sometimes?

Happened once this weekend after driving a short distance and parking.

There was a "clunk" from the engine this time, (laboring) and a delay to the ignition sequence. Started on the next try.

Could be any number of things.

Long term report. I have 17k on the car now and it still does the same thing about every 5 to 7 times I start it. I have reported it to the dealer on every oil change and I understand them not doing anything since it doesn't post any codes and doesn't do it when they try. It never completely fails to start, but my feeling now is that I'll live with it and hope the warranty will work with me if the starter goes out prematurely.

IT happens to me after a long drive when I stop to fill up. I had a code get thrown once because I used to fill the car up with the engine running and the code had to do with the pressure sensor on the fuel tank. The code cleared, but ever since then, when I stop after a long drive to fill up, it will not start right away. When I stop cranking and try again, it starts. No codes.

I tried consciously remembering to turn the car off before opening the gas cap thinking that might be the issue, but it didn't make a difference.

Sorry if this doesn't offer any help, but I thought it might give you some other idea to check into. At least you know you're not alone.

2015 Mazda CX9 Won't Start

Bought a brand new car for the first time in my life. It is a 2015 Mazda CX9. I have had an intermittent electrical problem and my vehicle does not always start. This has happened over 40 times since I purchased in Feb 2015. I have brought in for repair over 5 times. I have been working with Mazda's mediation department and the BBB Auto Line. Sadly Mazda claims that the car not starting is considered "normal" for a brand new Mazda and no repairs are necessary. Just warning everyone who is debating about a Mazda. I clearly meet all the guidelines for the Lemon Law, but Mazda is making it an uphill battle. They are refusing to replace or repurchase the vehicle. Just want you all to know it is NORMAL FOR MAZDAS NOT TO START!

I have 2200 miles on my car now and the only thing that keeps bothering me is an occasional starting problem. The scenario is as follows: car is warm (not first start of the day) I turn the key to start and the starter engages and starts cranking but the engine does not respond. I stop after about 2 seconds and wait for about one second. The second time I start the cranking process the car starts. This is happening about once a week of daily driving.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any ideas?

When I take it to the dealer for the 5k service I'll bring it up with them.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2015 Mazda CX9 Won't Start.jpg
    2015 Mazda CX9 Won't Start.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 256
Odd, we've had our tribute for over 10 years 289,500 miles) and the only time it hasn't started was when the battery was bad.
Our CX9 is almost two years old and has 54,000 miles and always starts as well.

Messed up they would be happy enough to say they make crap vehicles that won't start just to not make things right.

Sorry to hear it! 81k on my 08 and its only not started once...battery went flat. Doesn't make sense why they would be like that. Return the car and leave it in the parking lot. Refuse to make any more payments?

Ive had the same issue come up with my 2013 probably a half dozen times. Cranks over, but act like its not getting any fuel/ or spark and doesnt even try to putter to life. I usually have to wait a minute or two, and try again and it starts right up. No clue why. But it happen so rarely, it really hasnt bothered me enough to pay someone to fix it.

Back