OBX manifold t3/t4

jim9

:
mazdaspeed
Hey guys, i have a few questions regarding the obx manifold with a t3/t4 turbo. This is my brothers car and im helping him get it running for a tune and settle for now until the obx decides to break down. Im a honda guy and have very little knowledge with the speeds.

Setup:
Fully built block (remeber he bought it off a protegegarage or so, 4k? block has been driving with stock manifold for 2 years no issues.)
Stock head
Intercooler+2.5 piping (well known intercooler... bought for 1k 3 years ago.)
OBX manifold T3/T4 turbo
external wastegate (open tube)
2.5" down pipe

(more i might forgot, remember this is my brothers car.. im trying to figure out whats going on.. i'm so near putting the stock manifold and turbo back on with all the issues.)

The question I have is, there is a bung connecter on the side of the manifold that connects with the old manifold. (no clue what i should do with that)

The car runs like total SH*T. I remember flooring and turbo spools at 4.5k if i remember correctly.

tell ur brother that if he can spend 4k on a good forged block to stop cheaping out on parts and get a good turbo manifold, steedspeed has some very good external wastegate t3/t4 for a resonable cost. what kinda turbo is he running?

I'm pretty sure its a garret. Buying a steespeed manifold right now wont resolve the issue that is making the engine run like total crap. What is quesitioning me right now is that with the bung not connected to the manifold. Im pretty sure there was no steedspeed manifold when he bought the obx.

That manifold is a POS!!! Thats your problem right there..The "bung" connector that your are referring about is probably the EGR connector.

What EMS is he using ? That might be part of the problem, If the obx is cracked get it welded for a temp fix. Then save up for the steedspeed with the T3 flange.

I'm pretty sure its a garret. Buying a steespeed manifold right now wont resolve the issue that is making the engine run like total crap. What is quesitioning me right now is that with the bung not connected to the manifold. Im pretty sure there was no steedspeed manifold when he bought the obx.

how are u gonna come on here asking for help and when i give u my 2 cents u tell me it isnt the problem. i know these cars pretty well, and with the egts he is prolly seeing i can tell u that pos manifold is probably cracked. thus causeing a boost leak, causeing the turbo to spool like s***, the car is probably in limp mode causing it to run like a turd. we need more info before giving u a diagnostics but from the info u gave us i gave u my 2 cents. im sure when he did the turbo mani there were other options at the time, like hiboost or mental addiction.

how about a picture of the bung - lets start there... when you say "bung" are you actually talking about the pipe? if its the flared pipe that went to the stock manifold, thats the EGR pipe and has nothing to do with your issue. tons of people just leave them open.

if its a bung on the manifold, but your pipe doesnt connect to it, or your EGR tube is plugged at the intake mani, then you need to cap the one on the exhaust manifold as well. not rocket science - but i dont think thats the issue.

how are u gonna come on here asking for help and when i give u my 2 cents u tell me it isnt the problem. i know these cars pretty well, and with the egts he is prolly seeing i can tell u that pos manifold is probably cracked. thus causeing a boost leak, causeing the turbo to spool like s***, the car is probably in limp mode causing it to run like a turd. we need more info before giving u a diagnostics but from the info u gave us i gave u my 2 cents. im sure when he did the turbo mani there were other options at the time, like hiboost or mental addiction.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Dan you seem to not like OBX much heh? lol, I didnt mean to say that steedspeed's manifold wont help that lag issue. Manifold isnt crack at all, the car is probably not in limp mode as well since CEL isnt on. My brother had Unichip on but he recently sold it and planning to buy split second.. I did a quick WOT and boost was capped at 10psi so my guess is there might not be any boost leak. What does your gauge read on idle?

nobody likes the OBX lol its junk
what do the AFR's look like? if he sold the unichip, then what does he have for EMS? if nothing, then theres your problem
and im assuming the bung your talking about is the EGR tube, pics would help though

you dont have a wideband in? wow...
just an fyi, that should have went in BEFORE the turbo, these cars dont take well to big turbos, or high boost, unless u have a built block (luckily you do)
10psi on stock tune could have easily blew a stock engine up,

anywho, yea the split sec is good s***, easy to tune, easy to install. Your going to have to get 440cc injectors though,
im surprised the stocks havent maxed out yet actually

nobody likes the OBX lol its junk
what do the AFR's look like? if he sold the unichip, then what does he have for EMS? if nothing, then theres your problem
and im assuming the bung your talking about is the EGR tube, pics would help though

im not running an ems at the moment and my car isnt running like complete s***, rich as hell but nothing out of the normal for a stock tune msp

Did not want to start a new thread but does anyone know the wire diagram for the primary o2? The plug was orignally cut so i have no clue on which wires go which. Any pics would be nice! Thanks MSP

02.jpg

i couldnt get it any bigger...if you cant see it, press ctrl + to zoom in on the page

Thanks for the quick reply man! Anyways ill see what i can do it is pretty hard to follow the digram above.. lol

Back