OBD1 Style Tunning

I grew up tuning DSMs and after all my headache and anguish, I bought a MSP for a daily. (Funny how an MSP seems like a vacation compared to a 4g63) It is now coming to a point where I would like to turn the MSP into a quiet street monster. To get a better understanding of this engine, I have this question. Can you not simply get a wide-band and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and tune the old school way?

The most commonly used thing I've found to tune these things is a Split Second Air Fuel Controller and a wideband to data log. I have this set up on my car, its easy to use, but to be honest these motors/ transmissions can't handle s*** for power. You will be able to make a DSM a lot quicker, for a lot cheaper. These motors are rated for like 200-250 hp (FROM WHAT i HAVE READ, NOT EXACT NUMBERS). Ive read horror stories from people blowing them at stock boost/ baarely above stock....but I have also heard people push 10 psi daily. Also, the trans/LSD is made of glass. There are a few guys on here with some real monsters, but with a LOT of money into mods. The best way I've heard of these cars being described is like playing Russian roulette...you never know when it is going to die.

IMO its a good DD, but a hard car to turn into a "monster"....Just my thoughts.

I believe its all on how you drive and when you boost and how well you maintain and improve the car that determines when you blow. The lsd well thats another story. Either weld it if you havent or replace it with the m-factory I think thats more of a russian roulette then anything else..

I'd still consider myself a n00b when it comes to tuning seeing as though I really have no experience with it other than with the SSAFC which is pretty user friendly so I cant really answer the question. Just trying to make you aware of what you are getting into before you start dumping money in. I got this car after coming from hondas, where transmissions can hold any amount of power it seems like (thats realistic, not 1000+) and I've seen stock blocks hold over 300whp with a good tune. You will never see that happen with these cars. Don't get my wrong, its been a good fun daily, handles awesome for being stock, I get compliments all the time on looks, but the drive train is just garbage for power and will most likely switch back to Honda's after this....again, just my .02 cents.

I believe its all on how you drive and when you boost and how well you maintain and improve the car that determines when you blow. The lsd well thats another story. Either weld it if you havent or replace it with the m-factory I think thats more of a russian roulette then anything else..

Couldn't agree more! No matter the car, I feel as long as you treat it well it will treat you just as well in return. Can't expect to run the s*** out of a car day in and day out without something going wrong sooner or later.

i kept hearring ppl say msp engine suck balls... thats y i was suggested to buy dodge SRT4 isntead since the price is similar and dodge engine could handle lil more hp

To actually answer your question, the answer is no. The stock computer will be in closed loop until 4200 rpms attempting to maintain 14.7 AFR no matter how much boost you throw at it. There is no extra fuel at that point to keep combustion temps down and you send a rod through the oil pan. Piggybacks like the SSAFC fool the PCM into not pulling fuel, but with just an FPR, the PCM would just keep removing the fuel you were adding. Most cars go to open loop at full throttle which is why the FPR worked for cars like the MX6/Probe, but ran horribly at partial throttle. I have no idea why the Protege PCM doesn't but it is the single worst thing about this car. You simply never know what you are going to get when you put your foot down.

Interestingly, if you hold the gas pedal down for 3 seconds it will switch to open loop no matter what rpm you are at, which is simply impossible for any piggyback to account for, and why I gave up on piggybacks.

i kept hearring ppl say msp engine suck balls... thats y i was suggested to buy dodge SRT4 isntead since the price is similar and dodge engine could handle lil more hp

They suck balls in terms of making power with equal reliability. The more power, the more unstable and questionable it becomes. Same goes for the LSD.

to make good power with the car, read up on the numerous build threads on here and learn from them. The car is quite fun with bolt ons and tuning. If you are looking for big power, build the motor and look into something like Megasquirt, Microtech or Haltech. But at that point, be prepare to dump money into the transmission for an upgraded diff and better gears.

to make good power with the car, read up on the numerous build threads on here and learn from them. The car is quite fun with bolt ons and tuning. If you are looking for big power, build the motor and look into something like Megasquirt, Microtech or Haltech. But at that point, be prepare to dump money into the transmission for an upgraded diff and better gears.

To add onto this, from what I've read here on the forum the LSD should be replaced regardless of how much power you plan on making. Either have it welded or replaced with the mFactory version.

Back