O2 Sensor Failure symptons?

Russm

:
08 MS3
Good Day
Own a 08 MS3 with 59K on the odomater!
Anyone that has had a o2 sensor fail could you please describe the symptoms , have a P2177 coed.
Thank You

Good Day
Own a 08 MS3 with 59K on the odomater!
Anyone that has had a o2 sensor fail could you please describe the symptoms , have a P2177 coed.
Thank You

Stuttering at low rpms.... If you have any way to monitor air fuel it will be maxxed out and showing you are running so lean it should blow your motor immediately when you are not. Also not sure if this issue is associated with my o2 but I have popping at high rmps and a crazy cut in timing. Mine just died a few days ago lol.

Thank You, anymore thoughts or symptons ,I have that at low RPMs , seems if your driving at 55MPH in 5th and back off a little and then try to re accelerate it starts to stumble and even RPM drop to 1K RPM no matter where you have accelerator and then it might pick up. sorrry to pick your brains I am just trying to avoid the Dealership $200 computer hook up to diagnose, I have one good tech that says the differant coeds he's reading point to o2 but he said with out a Mazda computer read or sensor probes to wireing harness while driving he can't be 100% sure and i can't afford the replace um till it works program that you see and general automotive repair shops.

Last edited:
Other than a code to indicate the o2 out of range, the car will likely use ALOT of fuel, have soggy part-throttle performance and maybe unstable idle.

I used to test O2s back in the days before code readers, with a simple DVOM hooked inline with the signal wire. The voltage should be moving above and below .45 volts, engine running. if it is sustained below .2 or above .7, the sensor is bad.

Another thought: Assuming that this is the first sensor, the wide band one, you may be able to trouble shoot by simply unplugging it.

If the car was bucking and running poorly but after unplugging the first 02 sensor it then seems to run fine, irrespective of the code(s) it is throwing with the sensor unplugged, it is probably a defective sensor.

Thank you both for the info I will check with a DVOM using thoase specs to confirm. We just unplugged the sensor closest to the engine and symptons seemed to go away, didn't want to drive to much without being hooked up to sensor.
When you say 1st sensor do you mean the one close to the motor, you can almost get to it from above but much easier from below?
Thank You

Yeah, that's the wideband (read: expensive) one. There is no concern driving with the O2 disconnected. There is no danger to your engine. The O2 is there to provide a basis for closed loop decision-making in the ECU but the tables and scalars the ECU used before to run are still there to work from. You will set a code, lose a little fuel economy and part-throttle power but, there's no risk.

How? I just got mine from Mazda for $131!

That is the rear sensor also known as the narrowband. The wideband o2 is desno part number 234-5013. This sensor is located right in the engine bay against the firewall. The one for $130, is located underneath the car after the first cat. These two different o2 sensors are not interchangeable.

That is the rear sensor also known as the narrowband. The wideband o2 is desno part number 234-5013. This sensor is located right in the engine bay against the firewall. The one for $130, is located underneath the car after the first cat. These two different o2 sensors are not interchangeable.

I agree GoFast. I think to OP is going to be disappointed if he tries to use it.

Where did you get the #1 O2 sensor for $185? They are usually around $375.
Thanks.

Russ Darrow Mazda! They have treated me pretty well except the $21 to patch a nail hole!
It is the pre cat #1 O2 wideband sensor.

Last edited:
Back