no more CX-5

How is my statement any different than yours?? Lol and for the record for where I live, awd is better than fwd with winter tires. Not worth it to run winter tires here for 2-3 snow storms. Plus awd is not just for snow.

Mike, I guess we just settle back and say we have a obligation to tell the truth. We don't have any obligation to be understood or believed.

When driving in snow (any where in the world)
AWD with good snows best Then
FWD with good snows Then
AWD with all seasons THEN
RWD with good snows Then
FWD with all seasons Then
RWD with all seasons.

Depending on the vehicles, RWD with good snows might be better then AWD with all season tires.

What you people don't get is that we already know fwd with snow tires work well, even sometimes better than awd with all seasons. You keep rambling on about the same thing and its a waste. Thing that you can't comprehend is that we don't want to switch tires throughout the year. Since snow driving only occurs several times in a year. Also we like awd for other driving conditions.

Plus awd is not just for snow.

Winter tires are not just for snow either. The have more grip anytime it's cold out, bare pavement, bare/wet pavement and wet grass or even slippery, non-paved roads.

Thing that you can't comprehend is that we don't want to switch tires throughout the year. Since snow driving only occurs several times in a year. Also we like awd for other driving conditions.

Are you saying that snow/ice fatalities are not a problem in your region?

I'm not 100% sure here, but intuition tells me that higher profile tires will deflect more than lower profile tires under the same loading conditions/pressure.

That could explain it, especially since the lower profile tire have higher recommended air pressure.

I don't see any evidence anywhere of different spring rates between the T/GT models.

Even the CX-5 has different spring rates for models w/sunroof vs. models without sunroofs! That's attention to detail you won't see from Detroit!

I can't really comment as I don't have any statistics on that info. All I know is it can't be a high number, as you don't ever hear about it. Plus like I said, snow storms aren't that common here. This past snow storm I didn't hear of any vehicle fatalities, but did hear about multiple cardiac arrests as a result of shoveling. Which was very sad to hear.

What you people don't get is that we already know fwd with snow tires work well, even sometimes better than awd with all seasons. You keep rambling on about the same thing and its a waste. Thing that you can't comprehend is that we don't want to switch tires throughout the year. Since snow driving only occurs several times in a year. Also we like awd for other driving conditions.

I get it, I might even make the same decision if I lived in a place that only got a few days of snow a year, but that isn't what you said. I was replying to this statement.

where I live, awd is better than fwd with winter tires.

It may be a calculated risk / cost / benefit decision that is better for you. but it is not a better preforming vehicle.

I get the risk / cost / benefit part. I often chose to go out after a deep snow and drive back roads for fun. It would be safer to stay home but I enjoy it.

You and I pay our money and take our chances.

I get it, I might even make the same decision if I lived in a place that only got a few days of snow a year, but that isn't what you said. I was replying to this statement.

where I live, awd is better than fwd with winter tires.

It may be a calculated risk / cost / benefit decision that is better for you. but it is not a better preforming vehicle.

I get the risk / cost / benefit part. I often chose to go out after a deep snow and drive back roads for fun. It would be safer to stay home but I enjoy it.

You and I pay our money and take our chances.

Right, I guess I should of been more specific. AWD is just simply easier and better for me in my typical driving conditions, with the occasional snow. Certainly you could get by with FWD around here, but being that I NEED to be able to drive through snow, I opted for AWD for simplicity. Yes, FWD with snow tires would work but just not worth the cost of the tires and having to put them on/off each year. In fact, I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing in my area.

I don't even wanna know about RWD with snow tires. Don't get me tempted on a mustang again haha

Yes, that is what I am saying, although I cannot speak for jhu8, I have had similar sentiments as him. I can have half a foot of snow on the ground Monday, 60* weather and sun and dry roads Wednesday, and snow again on Sunday...or no snow at all...or...

That could explain it, especially since the lower profile tire have higher recommended air pressure.

Even the CX-5 has different spring rates for models w/sunroof vs. models without sunroofs! That's attention to detail you won't see from Detroit!

Yep. R-spec, here, baby! All you people driving around those porked up cars with dull reflexes and sunroofs make me shake my head.

I can't really comment as I don't have any statistics on that info. All I know is it can't be a high number, as you don't ever hear about it. Plus like I said, snow storms aren't that common here.

I've never thought of winter tires as being primarily for snow. They are for winter driving. Cold wet pavement, black ice, slick slush, heavy rain, etc. Most snow ice fatalities don't happen during snowstorms, they happen due to frost on the roadway and black ice.

Maybe you missed this from a couple weeks ago:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/commuting/bs-md-traffic-0119-20150118-story.html

Snow/ice auto accidents cost Americans $4 Billion/year. Yes, that's "billion" with a capital "b". If more people used winter tires this nation would be wealthier and have a lot less trauma and hardship. Plus, winter tires make driving in the winter more fun! (burnout)

I've never thought of winter tires as being primarily for snow. They are for winter driving. Cold wet pavement, black ice, slick slush, heavy rain, etc. Most snow ice fatalities don't happen during snowstorms, they happen due to frost on the roadway and black ice.

Maybe you missed this from a couple weeks ago:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/commuting/bs-md-traffic-0119-20150118-story.html

Snow/ice auto accidents cost Americans $4 Billion/year. Yes, that's "billion" with a capital "b". If more people used winter tires this nation would be wealthier and have a lot less trauma and hardship. Plus, winter tires make driving in the winter more fun! (burnout)

Everyone around here seems to get around just fine on all season tires. Which is why no one bothers to switch. Yes, accidents do happen though. They happen anywhere, even areas covered in snow year round.

I think common sense and knowledge is what causes most the issues. More so than the actual type of tire the driver is using. But yeah, winter tires on all cars would be awesome. Just can't justify it here in Maryland.

I've been pounding around here in Colorado the last 2 days with all the snow we've gotten, without a care in the world.
My CX-5 has AWD, and Snow tires.

Oddly enough, I have 3 coworkers who all have AWD CX-5's, too, and not a single one of them came into the office yesterday or today.

Wimps.

BC.

I've been pounding around here in Colorado the last 2 days with all the snow we've gotten, without a care in the world.

Oddly enough, I have 3 coworkers who all have AWD CX-5's, too, and not a single one of them came into the office yesterday or today.

Wimps.

BC.
I know people who call in when they are sick, etc. as well. Everyone has a different threshold. We had someone call in to one unit "for the whole weekend" on a Friday night. WTF?!

Last edited:
I want to put a slightly different twist to this. My friend visited me from ON, Canada this weekend. After reading thru, I am ALL for ALL WEATHER tires (not all season) available in Canada. What I understood they are amazing.
Transport Canada acknowledges that tires displaying this symbol meet the specific snow traction performance requirements, and have been designed specifically for use in severe snow conditions.
https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-tires/
The testing below is conducted on all weather tires, ensuring compliance.
Unfortunately, its next to impossible to get them here, in US.

Winter tires
Winter tire testing is innovative, reliable and sophisticated. All winter tires that are marked with the symbol undergo the ASTM F 1805 tire test on medium-packed snow in standardized testing conditions to ensure their snow traction performance meets the minimum industry requirements to be considered a winter tire. Importantly, tires that are manufactured for medium-packed snow are required by law to perform this test and may display the 3PMSF symbol on the sidewall.
http://www.rubberassociation.ca/wint...houldknow.html

Everyone around here seems to get around just fine on all season tires. Which is why no one bothers to switch. Yes, accidents do happen though. They happen anywhere, even areas covered in snow year round.

I think common sense and knowledge is what causes most the issues. More so than the actual type of tire the driver is using. But yeah, winter tires on all cars would be awesome. Just can't justify it here in Maryland.

Nobody I know if switches to winter tires either, at least not around Baltimore.

BTW, can't help but notice this has all gotten a little off topic . . .

Wimps.

BC.

They probably don't have winter tires (or maybe they're just playing hooky).

After reading thru, I am ALL for ALL WEATHER tires (not all season) available in Canada. What I understood they are amazing.
Transport Canada acknowledges that tires displaying this symbol meet the specific snow traction performance requirements, and have been designed specifically for use in severe snow conditions.
https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-tires/
The testing below is conducted on all weather tires, ensuring compliance.
Unfortunately, its next to impossible to get them here, in US.

The biggest problem with any all-in-one tire solution is that then you have to run them year-round! An all-weather tire that's good in the snow will not be the best driving experience in the summer nor will they hold up well for long-distance high speed cruising. If you care about tire performance you're not going to be happy with those.

Switching them out twice a year is really not a big deal.

The biggest problem with any all-in-one tire solution is that then you have to run them year-round! An all-weather tire that's good in the snow will not be the best driving experience in the summer nor will they hold up well for long-distance high speed cruising. If you care about tire performance you're not going to be happy with those.

Switching them out twice a year is really not a big deal.

Actually had a heated debate exactly on this point. The all WEATHER tires have traction like snow tires so they give almost equivalent snow traction. In fact, so much so they are allowed to have the venerable snow mark on their tires, which to the best of my knowledge none of the all SEASONS have/allowed. Canada has 10 times more snow and worse winter than US generally. If they allow these, must be good.
Now, coming to summer - its obvious they can't beat summer tires but what I am being told they are actually better in summer than all SEASONS and almost match up to summer tires.

I am more interested to know if anyone has actually used them, using them as we do have folks from Cananda here, in this forum.

Also switching them is not the issue. Usually takes 30 min max. The problem is storage, wheels. Wheels : cost, storage: scarce.

Also, read mine and many others here in NJ : justification. When it royally snows, we usually stay at home and work remotely. If at all emergency required - I'd tend to call a cab. Next, when the snow ends, usually within 12 hrs., the main roads are cleared. Side roads - no but can be driven carefully.

What the issue is - when there's snow melt and the roads get slippery (black ice) or just plain vanilla - wet with dirty water. Top it with cold then its an issue. I spoke to Michelin way back via Costco road show and they told me those situations are well covered with their all seasons. Only area where all seasons will fail is heavy snow. Reading thru tirerack.com, I also see in reviews - all seasons are well suited for little snow and the conditions I highlighted above (post snow) especially when there's AWD. To be frank - I have never, ever seen a car stuck due to these conditions. Only when heavy snow, packed heavy snow. But then, the million $$ reason - in such conditions if someone usually stays home - why bother?

Back