2017~2024 No Audio Power Off Function?

2020 CX-5 Touring newbie question probably asked a million times but I couldn't find a thread:

Am I correct in assuming there is no audio power off function? I sure couldn't find one. Yeah, there's mute, but not power off. Seems strange.

Figured. Curious, is that because they run all the warning beepers throught the audio system amp so it needs to be constant on? I don't have the beeps turned on except for blind spot to try out so I wouldn't know if the beeps come out of the audio speakers.

Same thing with my mom's Equinox and my brother's Colorado - "audio power off" is really just "mute". Mazda is just calling it what it is, :)

Honda owners are complaining about their vehicles having an "audio power off" button, but not a "mute" button even though the former is actually a mute button.

yeah, on my previous car I complained not having a mute button :)
Mazda did good with the mute and always on infotainment I think. Plus the infotainment controls a lot of stuff in the car (audio is just a small part of it) so it has to be always on.

Same thing with my mom's Equinox and my brother's Colorado - "audio power off" is really just "mute". Mazda is just calling it what it is, :)

Honda owners are complaining about their vehicles having an "audio power off" button, but not a "mute" button even though the former is actually a mute button.
To me it's not a big deal either way. One is better than the other depending on what you're doing.

If you actually want an extended period of peace and quiet, you might want to power off and have the screen default back to the home display instead of audio mute mode thereby saving one button push. If you really are muting as a momentary thing you'd like it the way it is. I'm pretty sure I mute more than switch to silence so, net net, the way it is involves fewer button pushes or toggles for my habits.

When people I know whine about the least little annoyance I categorize their complaints. As opposed to a third world problem or first world problem, I might say, "that's a half world problem" or on down to smaller fractions. You know what? This is around a 1/32 world problem if it is a problem at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, the head unit has to be on to be able to see the rearview camera when reversing. If you had the ability to turn it off, you would either lose that ability or have to wait for it to reboot and turn back on.

Remember, the head unit has to be on to be able to see the rearview camera when reversing. If you had the ability to turn it off, you would either lose that ability or have to wait for it to reboot and turn back on.
I don't think the issue was ever powering off the head unit. I believe it's about powering off the audio amplifier. But if you had that audio power on/off function, what would you expect to happen next after powering off? I suppose it would be the display going to the home screen with all other functions operating as per usual.

The same thing is accomplished by hitting the mute button then hitting the home button right next to it on the console to get off the mute display.

It's just the first take that seems odd. Adding a power on/off button in addition to existing functions would simply eliminate that additional home button push. Again, it's a 1/32 world issue.

Back