Next Gen CX-5

I have no real idea here but it seems to me the CX5's days are numbered regardless of sales. We now have the 30 and the 50. The 70 and the 90 are coming. Based on the videos of the 60 in Europe it appears the CX70 will be the slightly larger replacement for the smaller than average CX5 and I think they nailed it watching the vids. the 90 replaces the 9. If the 90 is here in the fall and the 70 is here next fall then its reasonable to think 2023 might be the last year for the CX5? Otherwise it feels like the lineup is cluttered keeping the 5.
CX5 is Mazda's best seller by far in the U.S. at 51% of total U.S. volume. Even Mazda said Cx5 is not going anywhere, it's basically their bread and butter. I would see a Mazda3 or a slight possibility the Mx-5 being discontinued before the CX5.

Mine is - Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD Limited.
This replaced my wife’s RAV4.

Thinking about a PHEV when it’s time to replace the CX-5. CX-70 sounds like a definite possibility in a few years.
Congrats! Ioniq 5 is one of the best mainstream EV especially with AWD. My only concerns are no rear wiper/washer which Hyundai is apparently adding later and low ground clearance. We have tough winters where I live (similar to Minneapolis) but that's not the case for most people. I don't drive much anymore so I guess I could live again with a vehicle with no rear wiper and low ground clearance!

Congrats! Ioniq 5 is one of the best mainstream EV especially with AWD. My only concerns are no rear wiper/washer which Hyundai is apparently adding later and low ground clearance. We have tough winters where I live (similar to Minneapolis) but that's not the case for most people. I don't drive much anymore so I guess I could live again with a vehicle with no rear wiper and low ground clearance!
Lack of a rear wiper sucks, but is manageable in Denver’s dry climate. Seattle, not so much.

Not worried about ground clearance - that’s duty for our CX-5 with Blizzaks.

I have no real idea here but it seems to me the CX5's days are numbered regardless of sales. We now have the 30 and the 50. The 70 and the 90 are coming. Based on the videos of the 60 in Europe it appears the CX70 will be the slightly larger replacement for the smaller than average CX5 and I think they nailed it watching the vids. the 90 replaces the 9. If the 90 is here in the fall and the 70 is here next fall then its reasonable to think 2023 might be the last year for the CX5? Otherwise it feels like the lineup is cluttered keeping the 5.
Isn't the CX-5 their best selling vehicle? This makes no sense.

Isn't the CX-5 their best selling vehicle? This makes no sense.
You could very well be right. However, if you look at the trend of the brand with the 30, 50, 60, 70 & 90, it seems cloudy as to where the CX5 fits in. In just looking at the 60 and knowing that it will be mostly what the 70 will be here, I for one would have gotten that over the 5 in a heartbeat and based on the specs, its not THAT MICH bigger. Hell if I had a choice, I would have gotten the 50 over the 5. Yes its their best selling model, until it isn't. It was always a knock on the 5 as far as space goes and if the 70 solves that, well everything could change. Of course this takes time but they will have baseline data in hand with the 60 in Europe.

You could very well be right. However, if you look at the trend of the brand with the 30, 50, 60, 70 & 90, it seems cloudy as to where the CX5 fits in. In just looking at the 60 and knowing that it will be mostly what the 70 will be here, I for one would have gotten that over the 5 in a heartbeat and based on the specs, its not THAT MICH bigger. Hell if I had a choice, I would have gotten the 50 over the 5. Yes its their best selling model, until it isn't. It was always a knock on the 5 as far as space goes and if the 70 solves that, well everything could change. Of course this takes time but they will have baseline data in hand with the 60 in Europe.
Well sure, its their best selling model until it isn't. I don't think the CX-5 is going anywhere while it still is their best selling model, so your idea that there wouldn't be a CX-5 after 2023 seems highly unlikely to me.

It’s going to take a while for the 50 to catch up, let alone surpass sales of the 5, and the 70 won’t be available until later in ‘23, so it‘s obvious the 5 will be around for a while longer. Mazda invested in a refresh for the ‘22 model year to better align its design with the new double-digit models so it appears they are planning on keeping it around for a few more model years. My preferred dealer had no Turbo CX-5s and only one Signature model on the lot recently and quite a few upper-trim 50s, fwiw.

Another factor to consider is manufacturing capacity. Mazda may eventually need the U2 facility at Hiroshima for another product. It currently produces CX-5s and CX-8s.

It’s going to take a while for the 50 to catch up, let alone surpass sales of the 5, and the 70 won’t be available until later in ‘23, so it‘s obvious the 5 will be around for a while longer. Mazda invested in a refresh for the ‘22 model year to better align its design with the new double-digit models so it appears they are planning on keeping it around for a few more model years. My preferred dealer had no Turbo CX-5s and only one Signature model on the lot recently and quite a few upper-trim 50s, fwiw.
The Alabama plant where CX-50 is produced is adding a second shift in July. We’ll see a sales catch up in CY2024. I expect CX-5 will get a MY2024 but that might also be its last.

The Alabama plant where CX-50 is produced is adding a second shift in July. We’ll see a sales catch up in CY2024. I expect CX-5 will get a MY2024 but that might also be its l

The Alabama plant where CX-50 is produced is adding a second shift in July. We’ll see a sales catch up in CY2024. I expect CX-5 will get a MY2024 but that might also be its last.
CX5 will be around for 2024 is what my dealer told me recently. Would be hard to get rid of the sales leader .

Hybrids rarely, or never, pay for themselves and I want nothing to do with one. One large Lexus SUV hybrid had a 120 year pay-off. No.
Okay, this is delayed reaction but I'm not looking for a Hybrid to pay for itself.

I'm looking for a plug-in hybrid. Ability to drive without needing gas when convenient, but unlimited range when needed. More power with smaller than otherwise gas engine.

Better fuel economy.

I'd be comparing to the cost of a big V6, not to a 4 cylinder.

Looks like there will be a 2025 or a little later CX5 worldwide. Does not specify if coming to North America. Looks like won't be a full hybrid, but the other details are pretty fuzzy other than this is intended more as a value vehicle, than all the latest features.

I parked my CX-5 next to a CX-50 once... the difference is obvious.
CX-50 is lower and almost wagon-like, with more rugged look.
Love my CX5s (I got two :) )

Back