New (used) 2016 CX-5 - had a couple questions/concerns!

I am a mechanical engineer, I understand averages and MPG calculations pretty well. I also understand that my daily commute is not one that will reflect good MPGs. But like I said, my last car was getting above the advertised MPGs, and the CX-5 is getting 20% less than advertised.....both cars doing the same commute. The last car was also a turbocharged sports car that I liked to lead foot on occasion bc it was fun to do, the CX-5 is feather footed 100% of the time bc it's not fast even when flooring it. When comparing the two, I'm just surprised the CX-5 MPG is so low below advertised. I wouldn't be concerned if I was getting 22 or 23 MPGs, but 19 seems too low.

On my short trips I get 17-18 mpg. Just a little longer say 10 miles boosts it up to 22-24mpg. On a long freeway trip some weeks back (350 miles) I was at 31 on avg. Best so far is 33 doing 60 mph. Running at 70 mph lowers the mileage so the sweet area seems to be 50-60 mph.

On that freeway trip I mentioned getting 31mpg, that also included 50 miles of stop and go at the end as I hit Friday afternoon rush.

I am a mechanical engineer, I understand averages and MPG calculations pretty well. I also understand that my daily commute is not one that will reflect good MPGs. But like I said, my last car was getting above the advertised MPGs, and the CX-5 is getting 20% less than advertised.....both cars doing the same commute. The last car was also a turbocharged sports car that I liked to lead foot on occasion bc it was fun to do, the CX-5 is feather footed 100% of the time bc it's not fast even when flooring it. When comparing the two, I'm just surprised the CX-5 MPG is so low below advertised. I wouldn't be concerned if I was getting 22 or 23 MPGs, but 19 seems too low.
OK I hear you. (rockon)
Out of curiosity what was the previous car?
I would not be satisfied with 19mpg myself either.
You have done all the typical stuff like...also verified the tire psi, check for possible brake dragging, following the proper method of resetting the AVG MPG, AVG SPEED on the gauge cluster? Do you also use the Fuel Economy/MPG application on the touch screen during your drive?

On my short trips I get 17-18 mpg. Just a little longer say 10 miles boosts it up to 22-24mpg. On a long freeway trip some weeks back (350 miles) I was at 31 on avg. Best so far is 33 doing 60 mph. Running at 70 mph lowers the mileage so the sweet area seems to be 50-60 mph.

Not sure if you have AWD or FWD, but this also mirrors within 2mpg of what I have seen.

That's really interesting that the MPGs go up by 3-5 when driving only an extra 3-5 miles. It's like the car is punishing you for living too close to work! I found another thread on fuel economy that also had a few owners getting in the 19mpg range, so I guess my concern is fairly common.

OK I hear you. (rockon)
Out of curiosity what was the previous car?
I would not be satisfied with 19mpg myself either.
You have done all the typical stuff like...also verified the tire psi, check for possible brake dragging, following the proper method of resetting the AVG MPG, AVG SPEED on the gauge cluster? Do you also use the Fuel Economy/MPG application on the touch screen during your drive?

My previous car was a 2014 Subaru WRX 5-speed and stock. It is advertised as getting 19city/25hwy. On my average week, which includes a lot of 3-5 mile trips in the city and a few highway drives to the other side of the city, I would average 21 MPG. That's right where I would expect it to be.

The CX-5 AWD automatic is brand new (to me), has brand new tires that should be inflated properly. It is advertised as 24city/30hwy. Doing the same average week of driving, I'm getting 19 MPG. I was expecting 25ish, but wouldn't complain with 22 since the trips are so short.

I'm just kinda pissed that I sold my WRX to get a better Daily Driver, and I'm getting worse gas mileage!

EDIT: yes, I have reset the gauge cluster AVGs correctly. I have not used the feature on the touch screen yet. I'll look into that.

19mpg is not common. For e.g. I have two cars - a 15 Camry SE and a 16.5 CX5.
If I do a quick run in around town under 1 mile. CX5 > Camry in mpg - mid teens.
Apart from that - I have never seen it worse than 22 mpg. If i go during a warm day - to my nearby tea shop for lunch run - its under 3 miles total but still does 22 or better.
In my office run - 18 miles - mornings are 34 mpg, evenings are 27 - tank average is 29 including idling and smaller trips. I always let it stay under 2000 RPM till the blue light goes away.

First thing to see is tire pressure. I never run 34 which is advertised. I run 37 in front and 36 in back. Next is to understand the most FE speed for CX5 is 31-32mph followed by 47 mph under light throttle conditions. 5th and 6th gear speeds.

My best office commute mpg in morning has been 37.0 mpg. I wish it was a hybrid of some sort - would beat 33 mpg for my mixed driving.

Note: I have a 16 touring with the soul crushing yellow DRLs sucking 60Watts everytime I drive. I have seen nice eyelid DRLs but dont have much skills or place to do it. No time either. :(

never assume your tires are inflated to the proper PSI. we've seen some pretty wide ranging results coming from different dealers here on the forum.

i don't think that's the main reason for you lower MPGs, but just something you can easily check and verify yourself.

The CX-5 races the engine with rich mixture to heat up the CAT when first started to give a quicker clean exaust, in cold weather this is amplified - short trips in cold weather kills mileage. What is the weather like where you live now?

I'm in Charlotte NC. The last week has been the coldest week we've had in a long time (never got above freezing). Since I just bought the car two weeks ago, I don't really have a warm weather week to compare the gas mileage to. So cold weather is definitely having an effect, but I just don't know how much. Do any of you see around 4 MPG less when the weather is cold vs when it is warm? Just seems like a big difference.

5 mile trips? Yea, I need at least 9-10 miles to start seeing better mileage.

I'm in Charlotte NC. The last week has been the coldest week we've had in a long time (never got above freezing). Since I just bought the car two weeks ago, I don't really have a warm weather week to compare the gas mileage to. So cold weather is definitely having an effect, but I just don't know how much. Do any of you see around 4 MPG less when the weather is cold vs when it is warm? Just seems like a big difference.

Most definitely the mileage drops when it’s cold. All your transmission and diff fluids are cold as well so their is some additional drag although you might not notice until you are in the teens and below.

My previous car was a 2014 Subaru WRX 5-speed and stock. It is advertised as getting 19city/25hwy. On my average week, which includes a lot of 3-5 mile trips in the city and a few highway drives to the other side of the city, I would average 21 MPG. That's right where I would expect it to be.

The CX-5 AWD automatic is brand new (to me), has brand new tires that should be inflated properly. It is advertised as 24city/30hwy. Doing the same average week of driving, I'm getting 19 MPG. I was expecting 25ish, but wouldn't complain with 22 since the trips are so short.

I'm just kinda pissed that I sold my WRX to get a better Daily Driver, and I'm getting worse gas mileage!

EDIT: yes, I have reset the gauge cluster AVGs correctly. I have not used the feature on the touch screen yet. I'll look into that.

Your mileage cost should be similar because the Suby takes premium and the Mazda runs on regular. Around here, premium is 50 to 60 cents a gallon more than regular.

Your mileage cost should be similar because the Suby takes premium and the Mazda runs on regular. Around here, premium is 50 to 60 cents a gallon more than regular.

You're right, but I sure was hoping to save some money on gas rather than it come out even.

But thanks everyone for the info. Seems like I just need to wait a few months and see how the gas mileage does in a range of conditions before assuming I have a problem. Seems like the last two weeks have been the perfect storm of bad gas mileage factors.....lots of short drives and extreme cold with the AWD drivetrain

Hey, I'm in Charlotte also. Work at the Power plant up on the lake though so no real traffic on my commute. I normally get about 27 mpg driving back and forth to work. This past week its dropped to 25 so this cold weather definitely has cut my mileage.

Hey, I'm in Charlotte also. Work at the Power plant up on the lake though so no real traffic on my commute. I normally get about 27 mpg driving back and forth to work. This past week its dropped to 25 so this cold weather definitely has cut my mileage.

Good to know. Thanks! Seems like getting 19 MPG could be normal if the conditions are right. Advertised city MPG is 24, 2 MPG less for really cold weather, and 2 or 3 MPG less for really short trips, and you all of a suddend are getting 19 MPG in a car you thought you'd get 24ish in.

Latest posts

Back