New to 2002 Protege5, HELP!!!

Hi there everyone. I am new to forums and new to my 2002 Protege5. I would like some advice on where to start with mods. I am gonna have to do it slowly but I would like to know where the best place to start would be. :confused:

It all depends on where you want to go with your car. everyone will tell you that the search button does marvels and it does. I personally upgraded the springs and struts and got bigger rims with summer tires. the difference is incredible. If i had the money i would now get a short shifter and AWR motor mounts. there is so much potential with our cars its just $$$ that is the issue for some of us. But slowly and surely well be fine. Enjoy your new car and know where you are headed with it before you do some moddin to it. Best of luck as well

Hey, welcome to the site... be careful or you just might get addicted ;)

First... lurk around and do some searches, chances are it's probably been covered before and there is tons of info out there.

Second... are you looking for performance or looks mods?

For performance people usually go with a catback exhaust, cold air intake (CAI), short ram intake, exhaust header, short shifter, ignition wires, struts, springs, turbo...

For looks it can go every way - lips, paint, carbon fiber pieces (CF), wheels, dropping (with new springs and/or struts), and tons of interior mods you can do. Then there is also the audio world, which is another whole animal and there's a whole section dedicated to it.

So... look around the different forums, see what kind of info is around there, check out the local forum to meet up with people in your area (most are more than glad to help).

Enjoy (hi)

your name suggests you live in Wisconsin, check out the wisconsin thread (and illinois if you are near the boarder), we meet up quite often, good times!

I highly recommend taking a ride in Brian's (ZoomThis) P5, damn that thing handles well...

oh yeah, and welcome to the boards, have a beer, kick back, and relax

(drinks)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Do any of you get up to a race track called Road America? If you do stop by Gate 4 and say "hi". I do all the camping and motorhome registration for the major race weekends. You can't miss the yellow Protege5.

Do you guys think that I should start with exhaust header first then go to a catback?

Intake/Header/Exhaust. I'd suggest header then catback, yes. Next either intake or midpipe.

Welcome to the forums. You from Wisconsin?

LZ
Z

I'd really have to say rims are a good start. Seeing as most p5 arent really the fastest cars around even after some light modding, i think that it makes up for it when u drop the p5 and put some really nice rims on it. It'll make the car stand out so much more.But i think everyone will agree moding the engine is fun. IMO put a nice set of rims on it and then some nice suspension upgrades.

Start small and work your way up. There may come a time when you decide that you're done, so beginning with a turbo might be a bit much. :

Start with a Kartboy shifter bushings, and the short shifter. The bushings themselves are cheap, and worth their weight in gold.

Welcome!

Here is the advise I have been giving the newbies:

"Right after I got my P5, I got the intake. You have the short ram intake (SRI), which is what I have. Others have cold air intakes (CAI) They are about the same on ebay, but you may also opt for name brand. I have the ebay...

The next thing I did was get rid of those god forsaken Dunflop piece of s*** stock tires. I hydroplaned within the first week or so I owned the P5. I ended up with the Yokohama AVS ES 100's. 205-50-16's on the stock rims. There are a bazillion threads about tires. These I highly recommend for rainy climates. (Bottom line, get out of the stock tires before you have a problem!)

I just got (after 2.5 years of owning my car) a Racing Beat exhaust. I got an insanely good deal on it. It is on the higher end of the pricing range, but you can score one used at a good rate if you are on the forum within the .245 seconds someone posts it for sale used. They run in the high $400 range new. There is a Mazda Sport (Mazdaspeed) exhaust which is also popular, but people have complained of droning, or an annoying sound at freeway speeds. The Racing Beat does not do that. But there are a bazillion threads about the exhaust subject too, look them up.

Then there is the tinting of windows, a stereo, springs/shocks/body kit, carbon fiber everything, etc you will see around here for sale.

Short shifter is next on my list. Kartboy makes a great one, I have seen it in person. The shifter bushings are a must. Get them no matter what. www.protegegarage.com has a B&M for only $79 and shipping right now! TWM also has a short shifter with a discount code here:http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1639737#post1639737

One more thing you should consider when you mod is a header. OBX and Ractive are the most common. I just installed the Ractive, and love the HP gains.

Well, good luck, and check out the for sale section, and work with the Authorized Venders and sellers! Oh, search for threads about a question you might have. Most likely, it has been covered."

Welcome Aboard!

Drop it, rims.... then start on the intakes/exhaust, stereo, etc...

Attachments

• Picture 019.webp
    Picture 019.webp
    253.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
There are a number of different intakes, and the biggest choice oyu have to make is how much you're willing to pay. You can get an Injen Cold air intake (CAI) for about $260 new, and cheaper used, or an AEM short ram intake (SRI) for about $200. I decided that the name brand wasn't worth it to me, so I bought a generic CAI from a seller on Ebay. Cost $60 and with a good filter it does the exact same thing that the Injen does. The SRI's on ebay are even cheaper than that.

I would suggest a short shifter and bushings first, then a header, CAI, some type of catback and mid pipe, then springs, struts, wheels, etc.

welcome aboard fellow midwest mazda member! be sure to check out my site and watch the IL and WI section for all the latest meet action!

$200 for a piece of metal tubing is way too much. I got my Ebay SRI for $85 shipped with the K&N 2 years ago. I think they are way cheaper now, and there is also an ebay CAI. You just have to position the support brackets to keep the intake away fromt he master cylinder. Get the ebay, go buy a K&N, and you will be happy.

I would start with rims, springs, and maybe some brake upgrades, mainly for the looks. If I wasn't going to get a big brake kit, I would at least paint the calipers black or body color. Poweslot or Brembo slotted rotors would look nice behind some wheels.

I wouldn't put a header on the car until you are sure that you aren't going to go with a turbo (of course, a header will help a lot with a supercharger). You can't use the header with a turbo set up, so you will be wasting money if you decide to change.

If you want to go fast, these cars need boost. And keep the wheels fairly light.

65racecoupe said:
Poweslot or Brembo slotted rotors would look nice behind some wheels.

i have some powerslots behind my racing harts and they do indeed look great

Back