New suspension type from BOSE

I think some other newer cars already have similar setups...maybe Mercedes Benz. Not sure.

wow, no body roll. hope they have some good tires on that lexus. i'm not sure if i like that idea. the lexus with the bose system looks artificially flat. the nose actually sticks up in the air.

That would be pretty scary/odd to drive, as they note. Imagine how no body roll would feel!
I think this will sit EXTREMELY well with the SUV/luxury crowd. And no doubt a "harsher" system could be used on sports cars, but most sports car drivers of course prefer to feel the road.
But, then, part of the reason you need to feel the road is to respond to it. If the suspension is doing that for you, I suppose you could take some of the road feel out.
But boy, wouldnt that be a boring car to drive?

Again, I can see soccer moms jumping on this s*** like white on rice. Either way, it's a REALLY REALLY cool idea.
Both BMW and BENZ (and Land Rover, Saab, Caddy, and some others) have some sort of ride control. The most simple actively adjust cylinder pressure in the shock to absorb big bumps, and stiffen the corner(s) that are taking the brunt of the turning weight (the outer wheels).

Yeah, I belive the Anniversary Vette had magnetic shocks though...I don't think they were from Bose, though. I'll look it up later when I don't have a crapload of work.

xtrememps said:
Yeah, I belive the Anniversary Vette had magnetic shocks though...I don't think they were from Bose, though. I'll look it up later when I don't have a crapload of work.
They had traditional shocks filled with a magnetic fluid. You could adjust the dampening by changing the amount of electricty applied to the shocks. It's a cool system, but not nearly as trick as this.

I dunno. For a luxury car and the aforementioned SUV crowd, this will be nice, but I would think that you'd loose a lot of feedback from a system like this.

Besides, it's one more thing to break.

yeah, i used to work for bose like 5 years ago and they were telling us about it then. i never thought they would finish it.

Its a horrible system. Once again Bose is tricking everyone into thinking a black box is doing something better by focusing on a couple items and ignoring the rest of the world of handling dynamics.

Look at the bose equipped car. Notice the ride height is a good 2" taller than the conventional car. Notice the front wheel excursions cause positive camber gains. And finally realize that having 50lbs of magnetic tranducers as your unsprung weight is not going to be good for grip.

What the system does well is make a horribly stable drive environment for the driver. Bumps are gone and body roll is gone. What the system does not do is make the car handle better. You can make a conventional shock/spring system that works just as well as the Bose system for about $100 a corner. Ever see a rally car in action? Same principals without the massive magnets in the wheel well.

Zero body roll also means INSTANT weight transfer to the outside tires. The increased ride height means even more weight. The Bose equipped car would have no more than 1/3rd the mechanical grip of the conventional lexus. I would say that the conventional lexus would be faster through that slalom if driven by someone other than an actor who's job it is to make it looks like he's out of control.

Bose has a history of making things like this... like their little theatre cube speakers or OEM car stereos that they market as being the best. When in reality they are answering problems that nobody asked to have solved through some of the most brilliant marketing on the planet. They'll make everyone think their electromagnetic system is the cats pajamas and that its lightyears ahead of everything else. You won't see that crap on a race car or a porsche. Not in that form at least. Its going to have to be way lighter, more durable and be much more flexible.

I agree. Bose is a joke on all aspects.

It was a technological leap for Delphi to develop the Magneride setup for GM - then all of a sudden the "geniuses" at Bose decide come out with the results of their decade+ long research efforts. Rediculous.

Yeah I have no problem with magnetic assisted shock to vary shock dynamics... hell I have no problem with ultra high tech single tube suspension units that use electromechnical movement to simulate spring and shock response. The bose unit is NONE of those. All the bose unit is doing is stopping body movement of the car. The suspension travel of those wheels is exagerated by having the ride height so high to accomodate the giant heavy pistons. To see what real suspension genius can do go check out Mercedes Carver concept from a couple years ago, THAT is science at its best. Bose is a hack company with amazing PR abilities.

DO you really want a suspension system that adds 200# to the vehicle weight? Throw two sacks of cement on the floor in front of the rear seats--one on each side to keep the balance neutral and you'll not only save money, you'll lower the car. Cost is about $10.

BOSE is the longest running joke around. (rlaugh)

gino said:
BOSE is the longest running joke around. (rlaugh)
The problem being people still think Bose is the highest quality audio available... its all in the PR. If Bose does the brochure correctly you'll see all kinds of stupid cars running around with a 10" wheel gap... tires squeeling on every corner.

People still buy that crap, they'll buy this crap.

Imagine if your average Bose lifestyles owner ever heard their speakers compaired to a set of $150 Athena speakers from Best Buy... they'd start crying.

The funny part is when power steering came out people said the exact same things about it. "You will loose too much feeling of the road.." Now just about every street car has it equipped stock. Like any new system it will have room for improvement.

DistantTea said:
hell I have no problem with ultra high tech single tube suspension units that use electromechnical movement to simulate spring and shock response.
BMW, anyone?
Agreed. I remember watching a test of the next-gen M3's. The engineers had based the three suspension settings upon animals. For example, the sportiest setting was known (in Gernman) as "squirrel."

Those crazy Germans. :):):)

EDIT: No, I'm not making that up.

BaD_HeX said:
The funny part is when power steering came out people said the exact same things about it. "You will loose too much feeling of the road.." Now just about every street car has it equipped stock. Like any new system it will have room for improvement.
Power steering is not analogous in this situation.

It's not even a proven system. At least most other systems are track or race proven (dual clutch pack, paddle shifted transmissions; ABS; traction control; quattro/symetrical AWD systems).

I'd like to see the BOSE system run on an F1 or GT class chassis and win races; then they can talk.

How can BOSE come in and think they can undercut the years of research that Honda, Visteon, Delphi, Daimler AG, and BMW Group and scores of racing chassis builders that have put in over the past, say, 80 years of automotive suspension engineering and design?

Back