new small suv's with flash

(uhm)

Last time I checked, the statistic is still showing Mazda CX-5's US sales figures are at the bottom batch of compact CUV sales. In fact, Toyota RAV4 is still outselling Mazda CX-5 at least twice as many with older model. The only good news is Mazda CX-5 finally passed Subaru Forester on sales volume so far this year.

Compact CUVs
US Sales
(to February)
February
Toyota RAV4407,59456,52229,867
Nissan Rogue403,46574,30338,119
Honda CR-V377,89550,17825,852
Ford Escape308,29638,98021,033
Chevrolet Equinox290,45850,45824,053
Subaru Outback188,88627,30014,021
Subaru Forester177,56322,48811,640
Jeep Cherokee169,88226,84612,225
Mazda CX-5127,56326,67913,216
Hyundai Tucson114,73516,0768,438
Kia Sportage72,82411,5795,867

Budweiser sells a HELL of a lot more beer than my favourite micro brew too. Doesn't mean it's better beer or that the micro brew isn't doing well for what it is (a smaller, niche product, company).

Y'all can argue about looks til the cows come home, but for me, that's the LEAST important factor in choosing a car.

It matters to me but functionality, performance, fun to drive etc are all more important.

You can put a tick by the 2017+ models on which ones I prefer. IMO, they look more European/premium/understated-classy.

I'll give classier/sophisticated to gen 2. They did do that and deserve applause on a job well done. If I am going to have a nice night on the town the upscale luxury of the gen 2 wins hands down. It is the good looking girl who got some mods.

The new Toyotas in general strike me as tacky, like they overcompensated for the years of being bland.

I'll give classier/sophisticated to gen 2. They did do that and deserve applause on a job well done. If I am going to have a nice night on the town the upscale luxury of the gen 2 wins hands down. It is the good looking girl who got some mods.

It's just too tacky though. "Bouji" is the term that comes to mind. It's like a girl with a Coach purse (nice interior, seriously) and JC Penny lingerie and PayLess heels (NAV system, electronic features, entertainment system, lack of pano, etc. etc.). It basically has stuff that was standard in 2005 for many other companies (radar cruise, HUD), still lacks many late 90's/early 2000's features (remote start, auto-dimming staged headlights and side mirrors, live traffic NAV, etc), and everyone is all "She so fine!" while people who are used to the real deal are laughing up their sleeves at these "new exciting features".

Remote start can be installed by dealer its just not standard. It has auto high beams which senses lights and turns off appropriate leds to not blind anyone. I personally dont use it though. Also does have live traffic and nav

As a Subaru fan, I'm pretty disappointed in the Forester losing the turbo. They seem to be cutting more and more enthusiast options despite pulling in more cash than ever before - what's up with that?

The RAV4 is a definite improvement over the previous gen, but the design is too much of a hodgepodge of current design trends for me.

The 2019 CX-3 update brings some much-needed refinements, especially the reconfigured center console, but it remains to be seen if these changes will help jump-start slow sales.

Yep, like you and OP, I really prefer gen-1 CX-5 than gen-2 on design! And after driving 12 days on a 2017 CX-5 Touring as a loaner, I firmly believe all the added "improvements" on gen-2 CX-5 are not that much significant to me. Cylinder deactivation is a total downer and a major step backward on 2018 MY!
+1, and I like the new Rav looks. Also claims true off road capabilities.
http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota....yota+rav4+serves+breakthrough+debut+nyias.htm

Last edited:
Remote start can be installed by dealer it’s just not standard. It has auto high beams which senses lights and turns off appropriate leds to not blind anyone. I personally don’t use it though. Also does have live traffic and nav

I was unaware of the NAV improvements, that's nice! As to the auto high beams, yeah, everyone has that, but I'd expect others to have staged regular lights as well like my nearly decade old chrysler did. It would step down output as traffic grew nearer, kindof like Surefire's "intellibeam" lights.

It's just too tacky though. "Bouji" is the term that comes to mind. It's like a girl with a Coach purse (nice interior, seriously) and JC Penny lingerie and PayLess heels (NAV system, electronic features, entertainment system, lack of pano, etc. etc.). It basically has stuff that was standard in 2005 for many other companies (radar cruise, HUD), still lacks many late 90's/early 2000's features (remote start, auto-dimming staged headlights and side mirrors, live traffic NAV, etc), and everyone is all "She so fine!" while people who are used to the real deal are laughing up their sleeves at these "new exciting features".

No one ever claimed these features are new to the industry. None of what you mention was standard in most Luxury cars then or now. Loaded 2007 Lexus had dimming side mirrors on that list and nothing else. 2010 Lexus without Nav, none of that other then dimming side mirrors. The one thing i thought i needed, and dont need or miss.

I never understood want of remote start, but my car is in a garage. And go build any luxury model car today. All of these things are add ons. Nothng is standard. Everything is part of a $3k package.

It is not perfect, but it is not $60k either. And for $60k, i dont feel like i get $28k more of value. Unless i want a status symbol emblem, and that is the big difference in the luxury brands vs the cx-5. Without the symbol, i can still go 80 on the hiway, have fun and a quiet ride.

i want mazda to succeed of course but I like not seeing a ton of other CX5s on the road to be honest, make us more unique compared to the s*** ton of rav4s and rogues you see everywhere

So true, that's how I feel too. I want mazda to do well but it's nice to be unique. I see a rav4 or rogue or crv everywhere and it gets boring.

As for the gen 1 vs gen 2 arguements lol it's just too funny. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I find the gen 2 very nice looking :D Then again, I like the first gen too and I was going to get the 16.5 (love the look and upgraded features) but then I saw the announcement of the 17' and I loved the look even more. Coming from a modded 2014 mazda 3 hatch, the 17' cx5 feels like a more mature vehicle, both in looks and features. People can hate the look all they want, but honestly all the people that've seen the car loves it. Some people just need their eyes checked. I guess I'm getting older now, I enjoy the more refine and quietness very much and yet the car still drives just as well, if not better, than the first gen.

Agree Alphadog.
Except for Remote Start comment. You never understood it? I don't understand you not understanding that, especially as a fellow Ohioan.

Oh yeah, I do like the design of the new Rav4 much better than the previous few generations, much less feminine looking. Not sure about the rear yet but front looks very similar to the 4runners, love those things :D Will I get one, probably not.

I think Toyota is definitely going for the rugged truck look. I’m not a truck guy and I think as a result I’m more inclined to the hatch look the CX-5 and many other CUVs are going for. Seems to me like Toyota is going after Jeep and Subaru buyers.

As a Subaru fan, I'm pretty disappointed in the Forester losing the turbo. They seem to be cutting more and more enthusiast options despite pulling in more cash than ever before - what's up with that?

The RAV4 is a definite improvement over the previous gen, but the design is too much of a hodgepodge of current design trends for me.

The 2019 CX-3 update brings some much-needed refinements, especially the reconfigured center console, but it remains to be seen if these changes will help jump-start slow sales.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the elimination of the manual transmission.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the elimination of the manual transmission.

Well, that too. You could option a Forester 2.5i Premium w/ panoramic moonroof, heated seats and a stick. Not bad at all.

My mom had a 2014 Forester XT, and despite the flat seats and rather numb steering, it was fun to drive. The turbo and CVT combo allowed it to effortlessly get up to speed at low revs with little fuss. We also test drove a 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring and the difference between the two was night and day. The 2.5 moaned and groaned. It killed the deal for her.

Unfortunately, she was in a minor rear-end collision, and after that it threw a variety of codes, none of which the dealer was able to fully resolve. The dealer ended up buying it back, and she now drives a 2017 Ridgeline RTL.

I think that CVT’s are a lot more livable paired to turbo motors with low end torque for sure.

Back