new skyactive 2.5liter gas engine

scott17818

:
2013 Mazda CX-5, 2007 Mazda 6
so i read some news about there being a skyactive 2.5liter 4 cyl for the new 2014 Mazda 6 with 189HP, and nearly 170TQ... wondering if mazda has plans to put this same engine into a 2014/2015 CX-5?? if I had known this I would have waited.. not that i'm disappointed in the 2.0 it's a great engine, and the car is awesome.. I wish there had been news of this 2.5 development sooner....

so i read some news about there being a skyactive 2.5liter 4 cyl for the new 2014 Mazda 6 with 189HP, and nearly 170TQ... wondering if mazda has plans to put this same engine into a 2014/2015 CX-5?? if I had known this I would have waited.. not that i'm disappointed in the 2.0 it's a great engine, and the car is awesome.. I wish there had been news of this 2.5 development sooner....
It's still rumor as far as I know, but possible. I debated waiting for it, but I am SO glad I didn't wait as I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the current 2.0. Even if the 2.5 was available today, I'd still get the 2.0 unless the 2.5 offered the same MPGs at the same price.

It's still rumor as far as I know, but possible. I debated waiting for it, but I am SO glad I didn't wait as I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the current 2.0. Even if the 2.5 was available today, I'd still get the 2.0 unless the 2.5 offered the same MPGs at the same price.

Agreed, awaiting confirmation on 2.5L from Mazda. If it happens it will be extra cost option with some MPG penalty.

According to the Truck Trend article I read yesterday, the cx-5 will get the 2.5 first quarter of next year. I figured they would wait until 2014 model year, but I guess we'll see.

Magazines have speculated a lot about this 2.5L Skyactiv engine, still waiting for Mazda to tell us something.

I don't think they would announce it too soon, that could really hurt current sales.

Yes, nothing to be gained by announcing it too soon.

Current sales are strong worldwide. The 2.5L would be an extra cost option with lower MPG, not the high volume /top selling engine.

It will definitely be coming to the U.S. in the CX5. It's the logical step since every single magazine seems to be bashing the CX5 for the lack of "zoom zoom". Anyways, the 2.5L Skyactiv in the Russian Spec Mazda 6 is rated at 189 HP and 189 TQ (source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1208_2014_mazda6_first_look/).

I'm guessing that once we bump the compression ratio down to use 87 octane, we'll get something like 175HP/180 Torque.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that there is a lack of zoom zoom in the CX-5 despite what the reviewers say. Granted, I've only been driving mine for 5 days now, but my first impression is that the tranny is always in the wrong gear for quick acceleration necessitating flooring it to get any response by forcing a downshift and revving the engine up. When I drive in manual mode and select an appropriate gear, it moves along quite nicely IMHO.
2.5L would be great for those looking for a bit more oomph! But could be handicapped if they don't also change the tranny shift points (which currently seem over zealous towards fuel economy) to more performance-minded mode. I wonder how much that extra 500cc will have on the fuel economy which was my chief reason for purchasing a CX5; otherwise I may have gone CRV or Rav4.

Car magazines have mentioned CX-5 mediocre acceleration with best in class MPG and handling. (Not likely a 2.5 will maintain best MPG status.) The result is high demand worldwide for this Mazda since intro 6 months ago, greatly exceeding forecast.

Shift points change/adapt to more aggressive driver, as noted in owners manual.

It'd kinda be ashame to see the 2.5 arrive. I've come to think of our little engine as sorta making the car, much as the rotary "made" the RX-8 what it was. There's just something so mischeviously fun and satisfying about doing so much with so "little." The car IS sporty already (to me anyway), and part of the amusement is being able to have so much fun driving it... while getting 30+ mpg :)

If and when the 2.5L happens in CX-5, most likely it will be relatively low volume, extra cost option, giving extra profit to Mazda, and giving customers additional choices. Magazines will hype it, US customers will buy it at a sub 20% rate. The engine upgrade option will allow Mazda to more competitive with the new Escape and it's top 2 engine choices.

Car magazines have mentioned CX-5 mediocre acceleration with best in class MPG and handling. (Not likely a 2.5 will maintain best MPG status.) The result is high demand worldwide for this Mazda since intro 6 months ago, greatly exceeding forecast.

Shift points change/adapt to more aggressive driver, as noted in owners manual.

I can't say where I got this info from (swore to anonymity) so take it for what it's worth... but the 2.5L engine will only suffer by one MPG, on the combined cycle. Enjoy (wow)

I can't say where I got this info from (swore to anonymity) so take it for what it's worth... but the 2.5L engine will only suffer by one MPG, on the combined cycle. Enjoy (wow)

That would be cool (wow, Skyactiv for sure), only 1 MPG hit. Final 2.5L EPA MPG numbers are probably not done, but that would be nice even if preliminary.

one MPG difference (2.0-2.5), would be amazing but, need data to believe.

Exactly, anybody can make this stuff up and call it top secret, lol. The crap that comes out of car dealerships is especially doubtful.

one MPG difference (2.0-2.5), would be amazing but, need data to believe.
Not really amazing.

Some SUVs with V6s or Turbos have only a 1mpg difference with the base 4 cyl.

Im willing to bet the 2.5 will be max 1mpg lower, possibly the same or slightly better, especially if it gets eLoop or whatever the capacitor is called.

Not really amazing.

Im willing to bet the 2.5 will be max 1mpg lower, possibly the same or slightly better, especially if it gets eLoop or whatever the capacitor is called.

Not really applicable:

1. We are not talking about V6's or Turbos versus the base 4 cylinder 2.0L Skytactiv engine. (The 2.5L Skyactiv would not be a V6 or a turbo, tb a normally aspirated in-line 4.)

2. Adding "eLoop or whatever the capacitor is called" to both the 2.0L and the 2.5L would be a valid comparison, neither exists, therefore not a valid comparison.

It's possible that the difference will be 1 MPG difference, not for the reasons mentioned.
BTW-for comparision of 2 existing/actual Mazda non-Skyactiv engines today, (the 2.0L and 2.5L), they are 2 MPG apart.

Last edited:

I noticed that too when I was researching cars, but I also noticed that while the official highway MPG ratings were often pretty close, the actual mileage people were getting in real-world use wasn't.

I'll bet it will be a minimal difference, but being a 25% increase in displacement, and assuming everything else stays the same (powertrain, weight, etc.), I have to assume it will likely be a larger difference than just a single MPG.

Now, if we are talking about a 1 MPG difference between the 2.5 in the 6 and the 2.0 on the CX-5, I might buy that, factoring in the ~3,000lb curb weight we should supposedly expect with the new Mazda 6.

Back