New Rotors @ 38,000 miles

Strummer

:
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
The steering wheel is shaking quite hard and I can feel heavy juddering on the floor - particularly after a spirited trip. I'm assuming my rotors and pads need replacing. The dealer didn't spot any issues with the brakes when they changed the rear diff (under warranty) about 700 miles ago.
I'm undecided whether or not to let the dealer replace the rotors/pads using OE or to get an EBC kit and let my local mechanic do the job.
Any thoughts?
Thanks...

Yes! Have the rotors turned for $15 each and replace the pads. No need for replacement if the runout is within spec.

Mazda seems to prone to warped front rotors. My CX5 and my sons 3 have warped twice in under 50,000 miles of driving. Never had this problem with Nissan or BMW. Must be the Skyactive weight savings!

Check the slide pins. Recently the wife's CX-5 developed the brake-shake just out of the blue. I checked the fronts and one pin was stuck solid. I had to use vice grips on it to get it to spin/loosen and come out of the bracket. For some reason stuck/sticking pins seem to be an issue for Mazda brakes.

I'm at 60k and have had some shutter for the last 8k miles but it hasn't been too bad until yesterday. Was coming down a 14 mile mountain pass and about halfway through once they were hot it was white knuckle driving. I had to pull over because it felt like a damn wheel was about to fall off. Will be ordering new rotors Friday when I get paid.

Check the slide pins. Recently the wife's CX-5 developed the brake-shake just out of the blue. I checked the fronts and one pin was stuck solid. I had to use vice grips on it to get it to spin/loosen and come out of the bracket. For some reason stuck/sticking pins seem to be an issue for Mazda brakes.
The boots covering the pins should be checked as well. My stepdaughter had an early 2000 Pontiac with the same brake setup. The pins were always getting stuck until I discovered a slight rip in one of the boots which allowed water and dirt inside and eventually resulted in a frozen pin. So, make sure that boot is securely over the lip of the pin and isn’t frayed. I usually packed extra grease inside the boot before I reassemble stuff.

Back