new owner question Tire Pressure (NYC)

sp535

hi all, I am happy new owner of CX-9(Touring 08) and its been quite pleasure drive past 2 month. This morning was brutally cold(New York City) and suddenly I saw warning light for Tire Pressure.

I called service department and told me that it is normal under extreme cold/hot temperature. How could that be true for the cross over vehicle?

Could someone advise what to do?

Thank you in advance.

Dealer said the same thing when we bought ours last week, i.e. in very cold weather the tire pressure light goes on. He didn't have an answer except that he would try putting nitrogen on his demo CX-9.

I personally think the thing is too sensitive, or might be programmed weird...

Aussie models don't get this feature, probably a good thing, yet it would suit our climate better, as there is no extreme cold here LOL

Clarke

yep, I think it's too sensitive. I get the same false warnings if the temp goes below 10 deg F. I wonder if Nitrogen would help.

When the temperature drops, the pressure in the tire goes down. The TPMS is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. You need to put air in your tires.

yes it drops, but by how much - a couple of psi? the TPMS should not activate this quickly or at least have an adjustment to alert at a lower psi.

Yeh, its kinda like saying " I drive around a lot and my fuel light ends up coming on, what shall I do?" (dunno)

Just tongue in cheek stuff mate! (rlaugh)

I get it, but my TPMS light is on half the winter. it's not a good sensor if it cries wolf too much.

how about changing you fuel gauge to just a low warning light. wait until it warms up and then you'll have more gas and the light will go out ;)

I get it, but my TPMS light is on half the winter. it's not a good sensor if it cries wolf too much.

how about changing you fuel gauge to just a low warning light. wait until it warms up and then you'll have more gas and the light will go out ;)

You'll be crying when you ignore it and ride a tire flat and have to replaceit from a patchable nail.

I'm not understanding several of the repsonses. The original poster's issue was clear.

Driver's don't expect adjust the air in their tires every few days/weeks. So if an area routinely sees temperations fluctuations of X degrees (maybe 30F?) in the course of a few weeks; then it's important to have a TPMS system that does not trigger within that fluctuation range. Presumably this is safe since auto manufacturers need to design cars to operate within these climate fluctations knowing that most drivers don't adjust their tire pressure weekly.

Given the information about the thresholds and accuracy of the TPMS system; one could calculate the ideal pressure for the tires at a given temperature such that the TPMS will not trigger incorrectly due to the expected temperature fluctuation (assuming that no gas has actually escaped from the tires).

Supposedly N2 would support a wider temperature range; but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that and there's already a whole thread arguing about N2 versus air ;)

So I think the question is whether anyone has any useful information or firsthand experience with regard to the actual thresholds for the TPMS system; calculating the ideal tire pressure; real improvements experienced with N2; etc. If the thresholds for the TPMS are too tight and cannot be adjusted then it's a design flaw from Mazda; if not then owners just need more tuning information to get their tires adjusted appropriately.

I'll go RTM and see if there's anything interesting...

-Jeff

I'm not understanding several of the repsonses. The original poster's issue was clear.

Driver's don't expect adjust the air in their tires every few days/weeks. So if an area routinely sees temperations fluctuations of X degrees (maybe 30F?) in the course of a few weeks; then it's important to have a TPMS system that does not trigger within that fluctuation range. Presumably this is safe since auto manufacturers need to design cars to operate within these climate fluctations knowing that most drivers don't adjust their tire pressure weekly.

Given the information about the thresholds and accuracy of the TPMS system; one could calculate the ideal pressure for the tires at a given temperature such that the TPMS will not trigger incorrectly due to the expected temperature fluctuation (assuming that no gas has actually escaped from the tires).

Supposedly N2 would support a wider temperature range; but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that and there's already a whole thread arguing about N2 versus air ;)

So I think the question is whether anyone has any useful information or firsthand experience with regard to the actual thresholds for the TPMS system; calculating the ideal tire pressure; real improvements experienced with N2; etc. If the thresholds for the TPMS are too tight and cannot be adjusted then it's a design flaw from Mazda; if not then owners just need more tuning information to get their tires adjusted appropriately.

I'll go RTM and see if there's anything interesting...

-Jeff

There is not anything escaping the tires, its the fact that hot air/gas expands and coll it down and it contracts. Every 10degrees F temperature change is equal to 1-4psi change so in your example a 30 degree change is equal to a 12psi pressure fluxuation. Here in FL it was 32degrees yesterday morning and 77 by the afternoon. So lets figure this, a 45degrees temp change is equal to roughly a 5-16psi change. Take 2 minutes out of your life and save yourself a headache and CHECK YOUR TIRES. The warning light is no excuse for poor matainance.

correct. air is not leaving the tire. the cold temp reduces the pressure enough to set off the TPMS. once the temp increases the tire pressure returns to 'normal' levels and the monitor goes off. I'm not going to add air to the tire just because it's cold out. Unfortunately, I'll probably lose a tire at some point because I ignored the real warning.

jville; you change your tire pressure daily when you drive in the morning versus the afternoon under such conditions?

Gas expanding and contracting is obvious. The question is how sensitive the TPMS systems is versus how much you can/should over-inflate the tires at higher temperatures to avoid under-inflation at lower temperatures. The real numbers all exist; I don't have them - I was hoping someone might.

Your calculation of up to 16 PSI change from morning to afternoon seems extreme for tires designed to have a PSI of 36. The Mazda service manual cites a change of 1.5 PSI per 18 degrees/F; so more like 2.5 PSI total in your case.

So with those numbers you could just "over-inflate" your tires in the afternoon by 2.5 PSI and probably be fine...

But I'm still curious about the real numbers. Recommended versus Max pressure for the tires; TPMS min threshold; and average pressure reduction rate for N2. The service manual suggests that a dealer can get the TPMS light on threshold (or last value) using the M-MDS.

-Jeff

Working an autotech and shop manager, yes i have then checked and adjusted quiet frequently. Twice weekly roughly. jdoering you said its a flaw from mazda? So what you want is an TPMS that doesn't let you know a tire is low until maybe an 18psi difference? so on a 36psi reccomended pressure you would be comfortable riding around on 18psi b4 you were notified about this. The mazda service manual also states how not to rally your car or launch it off ramps. ALWAYS follow the manufacturers rec. pressures unless towing or changing load range. Like i said b4 CHECK YOUR TIRES. they are called idiot lights for a reason.

correct. air is not leaving the tire. the cold temp reduces the pressure enough to set off the TPMS. once the temp increases the tire pressure returns to 'normal' levels and the monitor goes off. I'm not going to add air to the tire just because it's cold out. Unfortunately, I'll probably lose a tire at some point because I ignored the real warning.

I live in Minnesota and we recently experienced a temperature swing in excess of 60 degrees within 36 hours and it didn't trip a TPMS warning. In fact, I haven't ever seen a TPMS warning on my 9.

Keep in mind that a TPMS warning can be tripped by only one abnormally low tire. From past experience these systems are rigged to go off if tire pressure goes below or above x% of the nominal pressure.

You'd be doing yourself a favor to at least get the pressures checked to see if you do have one unusually low tire. At worst, you find out if all the pressures are low, at best you find out you have one low tire and save yourself the grief of getting a flat or ruining a tire.

Working an autotech and shop manager, yes i have then checked and adjusted quiet frequently. Twice weekly roughly. jdoering you said its a flaw from mazda? So what you want is an TPMS that doesn't let you know a tire is low until maybe an 18psi difference? so on a 36psi reccomended pressure you would be comfortable riding around on 18psi b4 you were notified about this. The mazda service manual also states how not to rally your car or launch it off ramps. ALWAYS follow the manufacturers rec. pressures unless towing or changing load range. Like i said b4 CHECK YOUR TIRES. they are called idiot lights for a reason.

Did I mention an 18 PSI difference? Did I say Mazda has a flaw?

Others reported cases where TPMS went off and they did not believe their tires were under-inflated before the temperature dropped. Maybe they were incorrect, maybe not...

Saying "check/inflate your tires" doesn't answer the original questions; that's obvious.

I only said that Mazda has a flaw IF the warning system cannot handle typical daily / weekly temperature swings when the tire pressure is correct for the peak temperature. It's a useless warning if normal day-to-day variation trips it with everything else correct.

Now kosh2258 has come back with useful counter-examples including a suggestion on what might actually triggers the TPMS.

As I've repeated several times; I was hoping someone actually knew something about this. As an autotech; do you actually know how the TPMS monitoring works? I don't need an explanation of how to use idiot lights or that I should maintain my tires per the recommendations.

-Jeff

Sry didn;t notice your IF b4. And to answer your question yes i know how the tpms system works. I don;t know how you would want the vehicle to determine the difference between a low tire pressure caused by lower temperatures or caused by a puncture. What if its cold out one morning and you really do get a nail? There are just to many variables to account for. Newer vehicles are having problems because the variant is too low. I must get at least 10 customers on cold days complaining about their TPMS light. And i believe that as of 09 or so they are gunne berequired in all new vehicles. I don't have TPMS on my speed 6, and the lo-pro 18s are hard to tell if low, so i frequently check them. You have to understand my position dealing with dumbasses who come in complaining baout their tires that they ran flat and want me to cover it under road hazard NOT. sry i'm venting.

Not a problem; I'm an engineering type so my perspective is probably at the opposite end-of-the-spectrum from yours: all theory, actual details be damned :)

I do want to know if my pressure is too low due to temperature; I just hope (like others here) that I can adjust the tires properly for a given time of year and have that be good enough for several weeks irrespective of short-term changes.

Hopefully cars, tires, TPMS, and gas used can combine to achieve a wide enough safe-operating range without false-failures from the monitoring system.

-Jeff

from original questions

thanks for lots of advices. Please correct if I am understanding incorrectly.

It seems like i need to check tire pressure whether I can find unbalanced condition.

Q1: So, is this something I can do myself? Or should I have to reply on the Mazda service Center?

Q2: I have looked tire pressure gauge from internet and the price and choice range varies too much. Is there any good suggestion based on your experience?

Q3: When default, Does cx-9 have N2 gas or Air inside?

Sorry for too basic questions....
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back