New owner 2.2L CX-5, new mod questions

Hi everyone new member and new owner of a 2013 cx5 2.2sport-nav.

I've been scrolling around trying to find a few things out and things I want to do to my new car struggling to find the right answers

So here goes…I'm wanting to replace h11 dipped beam bulb with a led will I get any problems.

Also swapping side light bulbs for led ones. Anyone know how to change the yellow DRL to a nice white ones?

Are the reverse lights number plate etc ok to swap to a nice led white light?

Next…

K&n panel air filter, is it worth putting one in ...most of my car's over the last few year have all had one and had good results for power and economy.

Same with tuning box, is it worth doing, it had great results on my previous car.
I have a bluespark box which I can get reprogrammed for my cx5 and says I could get very good power response.

Thanks in advance of any help.

Last edited:
Personally, other than the lighting changes, I wouldn't do any of those mods to a new car, I would at least wait until it's out of warranty. My opinion.

Do some research on K&N filters, there are studies out there that show they do not filter small particles as well as OEM filters.

If it's completely stock engine, stick to OEM or OEM type replacement air filters....or at least stay away from K&N. Filtering efficiency on them is terrible and they plug up much faster than OEM type.

You will not see any performance/economy increase....unless the current filters is severely clogged with debris.

Not quite apples to apples, but on my motorcycle (fuel injected GSXR750), I actually ran the original filter until the bike wouldn't start.
It ran fine on a Friday and wouldn't start the next Monday.
In that case, I saw a huge improvement in power, but it still maintained the same 50mpg (like clockwork) that it always had.

My first CX-5 was a 2013 and I've changed the OEM low beams light bulbs. I've had these GTR Lighting H11 and these Morimoto H11. These options may seem to be expensive but they are far better than the cheaper options you may find on amazon. On the TRS website it says they are fog lights but I can tell you I've used them for low beams and they worked perfect because the low beam light is a projector type. Brighter than the OEM halogen bulbs. I never went back for halogen once I had these installed.
For DRL I do not recommend led bulbs because the DRL/High beam is a reflector type and you will end up blinding everybody with your led DRLs. I've tried led on the DRL/High beam light and I did not like it. At night everything was super bright right in front but no depth. I realised I could see further with the halogen bulbs for high beam light.
Changing the licence plate light with led it's quite simple. You should find the led replacement in any AutoZone store or whatever is in your area. If you're not sure about the type, take the bulb with you. For the interior lights, same AutoZone or whatever auto store you have in your area.

After I posted this message I've noticed your latest post where you're saying that you have xenon. 🤣 Anyway, if you still want to replace those, check the same website theretrofitsource for HID lights. I do not work for them and I do not have any kind of relationship with this business, in case someone is curious.

Last edited:
You should be careful when choosing LED headlight bulbs. There are a lot of poor-quality LED bulbs on the market now, their beam patterns are so bad that they keep flashing the oncoming vehicles. Go with some trusty brand bulbs is important. For me I installed these AUXITO H11 led bulbs on my headlights right now, the lights are brighter, whiter and have the correct beam pattern. For other parts, I recommend not doing too many changes for a new car.

1672038902407.png

For other parts, I recommend not doing too many changes for a new car.
It’s a 2013 CX-5 2.2 Sport-Nav as stated in the OP.

The OP definitely isn’t in North America. And I’d be more concerned on his very problematic 2.2L SkyAcriv-D diesel engine.

It doesn’t look like the OP has been back to the forum in months so he may not see your helpful post. And don’t worry about modifying a “new car“, the OP‘s CX-5 is ten years old.

Back