new motor mounts is it worth changing to 626 intake manifold

steelankles

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hi guys i read to replace rear motor mount u have to pull intake manifold.

How much gains does going to a 626 intake?
How much does one cost and what year would i need?

Also when i first start car idles kinda screwy for about 1 minute then its fine? Could it be the egr is dirty or something else

Thanks
Jay

Last edited:
You don't need to remove the IM just the battery and cold pipe from the throttle body. A lift or jackstands are required as well.

Correct you don't need to remove it! You don't need an im mani unless you are greater than 300 whp and don't like tourque.

I will say that although removing the manifold is not required, it saves a considerable amount of fiddling and fuckery trying to get extensions down there with enough torque to break the nuts. there is also a plastic harness that has to be removed that is kind of a enormous b**** if you dont have room. it took my friend and i half a day to replace the rear mount but when i had the engine out of my p5, my friend who had never done it before did it in like 25 minutes lol.

and everywhere ive read states the 626 is kind of pointless for a street msp. maybe on the track where it sings at high rpm all the time. and if thats a big deal to you, you prob gonna be looking at somthing like a 505zoom.

of course, by removing the mani you can delete the vtcs butterflies which will free up the runners a decent amount. they are suppposed to be open when the engine warms up, but the rod is still 4-5mm plus the flap and screws. all that is flow resistance and turbulance.

Back